Clothing Customization

Davis

Hey everyone,

My suggestion is that we give the option to change out of our space suits and into regular clothing. This could be military uniforms (NQ could add various types of military uniforms and we could customize colors to make unique military uniforms for our organizations), regular civilian clothes, and that sort of thing. I think this could add to the role-play style and maybe could even be a commodity that is traded on the markets?(Military uniforms, civilian clothing etc). 

Obviously this would only be possible inside of closed spaces that have oxygen support, otherwise we'd need our space suits. Might even be cool if NQ could develop some sort of system that lets organizations port in their organizations emblem or sigil and have it printed somewhere on the uniforms or even painted on the side of vehicles, spaceships and constructs. Just adds to the aesthetics and role-play element and will make organizations more unique.  

Definitely a fan of customization of uniforms, especially adding emblems and org colors and flags to uniforms. That would be really cool, especially for militaries and fleets. 

I can also see other types of clothing being fun and interesting, but I don't think it's something NQ should be focusing on doing at this time. There are so many more important things for the Dev team to be working on right now. Perhaps if and when the game takes off, they can hire some more artists just to make all of these things and add that level of depth to the game, but right now we need a functioning core game before they start adding in that much variety. Just my personal opinion. 

2 hours ago, Vorengard said:

Definitely a fan of customization of uniforms, especially adding emblems and org colors and flags to uniforms. That would be really cool, especially for militaries and fleets. 

I can also see other types of clothing being fun and interesting, but I don't think it's something NQ should be focusing on doing at this time. There are so many more important things for the Dev team to be working on right now. Perhaps if and when the game takes off, they can hire some more artists just to make all of these things and add that level of depth to the game, but right now we need a functioning core game before they start adding in that much variety. Just my personal opinion. 

I agree, not at this time, this would be something that could even be released after full release or something. But still could be something they could use later on!

8 hours ago, Davis said:

Obviously this would only be possible inside of closed spaces that have oxygen support, otherwise we'd need our space suits.

There is no oxygen mechanic at all in the game and possibly there won't be such a mechanic at all. They talked about oxygen bubbles (sphere around a generator or something) but nothing is fixed yet.

For character customization I just refer to this:

stretch_goals.jpg

So you can put a logo on your character and we get some character customization (upgrade 1 suggests that there will be more to come)

10 hours ago, Lethys said:

There is no oxygen mechanic at all in the game and possibly there won't be such a mechanic at all. They talked about oxygen bubbles (sphere around a generator or something) but nothing is fixed yet.

For character customization I just refer to this:

stretch_goals.jpg

So you can put a logo on your character and we get some character customization (upgrade 1 suggests that there will be more to come)

Yeah, I realize there is currently no oxygen mechanic but like I said it's just a suggestion, would be nice to see people outside of their exo suits and in military outfits and what not.

Others can see you and you can later likely see yourself in the inventory and or some character (skill or overview) sheet. 

In a game where you can potentially create large new player factions and civilizations, where you can have great leeway in building and ship design and where emergent game play is the holy cow, you don't really want most to look the same. Or in other words, more character and outfit customization in both gear and looks is nothing to underestimate and more options attract and bind more players. 

For groups, unique combinations of armor or custom designs and insignia add to a group identity, too. Also allows you to come up with more uniforms so you can tell what guy is the captain, maintenance, a medic, someone working in a store, a cop, soldier, etc. 

And some just generally want a diverse set of clothing. 

They surely have more pressing matters now and for a while but should not neglect the matter in the long run.

10 hours ago, Warden said:

Others can see you and you can later likely see yourself in the inventory and or some character (skill or overview) sheet. 

In a game where you can potentially create large new player factions and civilizations, where you can have great leeway in building and ship design and where emergent game play is the holy cow, you don't really want most to look the same. Or in other words, more character and outfit customization in both gear and looks is nothing to underestimate and more options attract and bind more players. 

For groups, unique combinations of armor or custom designs and insignia add to a group identity, too. Also allows you to come up with more uniforms so you can tell what guy is the captain, maintenance, a medic, someone working in a store, a cop, soldier, etc. 

And some just generally want a diverse set of clothing. 

They surely have more pressing matters now and for a while but should not neglect the matter in the long run.

Well put, that's my thoughts exactly.

14 hours ago, Ravenskysong said:

that would be really cool. like guild tabards in wow, have a set uniform that you buy and it switches to the guilds design. altho I feel like character customization is not going to be a huge deal in a game with no 3rd person. 

Maybe not right away at launch but I agree with you and this will probably be a must have feature as the game gets larger ! Need to have banners or coating for organization/guild customization because I can see it now if a ship becomes popular there maybe millions of players using that ship and It would be nice to be able to spot friend or foe by organization coating or banners! 

I don't see why not. At some point, we should definitely have different armor designs, and normal cloths. Not all planets will be void of oxygen or contain elements we can't breathe. There would be in my mind, at least one that has a normal atmosphere as to remove helmets or wear "other" clothing. Also, AIRLOCKS, if your base has proper airlocks you could simply have it set to when you are inside the base, you wear "casual" cloths, and when you leave, it auto suits you up into your normal space armor. Why not? I don't see a reason to limit things.

55 minutes ago, namco said:

I don't see why not. At some point, we should definitely have different armor designs, and normal cloths. Not all planets will be void of oxygen or contain elements we can't breathe. There would be in my mind, at least one that has a normal atmosphere as to remove helmets or wear "other" clothing. Also, AIRLOCKS, if your base has proper airlocks you could simply have it set to when you are inside the base, you wear "casual" cloths, and when you leave, it auto suits you up into your normal space armor. Why not? I don't see a reason to limit things.

it sounded as though air tightness is not going to be a thing. The nature of the voxels will let people have huge gaps, or oddly connected things. to get airtight-ness calculated for an area they would probably have to have pre fabricated airsealed rooms that you then decorate the insides of. or possibly it does not calculate if something is airtight, but there is a modular prefab that makes a certain cubic area be treated as air tight. however it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for something that would be more based around roleplay and survival. If I remember correctly dual universe is not going to be a hardcore survival game, at least not in the way of exposure hunger thirst sunburn etc. but I would love a system of other clothes and civilian clothes for role play. 

they could just simply let people wear any outfit when not in the void, and when you are in space you have to have your space suit.

Just now, Ravenskysong said:

it sounded as though air tightness is not going to be a thing. The nature of the voxels will let people have huge gaps, or oddly connected things. to get airtight-ness calculated for an area they would probably have to have pre fabricated airsealed rooms that you then decorate the insides of. or possibly it does not calculate if something is airtight, but there is a modular prefab that makes a certain cubic area be treated as air tight. however it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for something that would be more based around roleplay and survival. If I remember correctly dual universe is not going to be a hardcore survival game, at least not in the way of exposure hunger thirst sunburn etc. but I would love a system of other clothes and civilian clothes for role play. 

they could just simply let people wear any outfit when not in the void, and when you are in space you have to have your space suit.

I posted in another thread about server technology, its totally possible.

In that post, I had written about the newer AMD cpu's that are 32 core 64 thread with great core speeds. That one chip along side 2TB of memory, the proper harddrive space, and say 6 gpu's, make for one hell of a server. In that ideal, calculations where required, and programmed by the devs, will go where they are needed. Servers don't run like actually playing the game. Its all DATA. So if you need things like physics calculations, you simple use a gpu and make sure the game engine itself, when needing to make said calculations, uses a gpu (or multiple gpus) and since its raw code, the calculations will happen extremely fast compared to normal games. Think of it like mining bitcoin, you are simply applying a data set and the gpu pounds out said calculations. You aren't running a 3d model, just DATA. So, its definitely possible. I agree, right now, not really a priority, but at some point, the dev's will have to move forward and something like this would then be doable.

In fact, they already showed some of their custom tech where shards can load the same data and thus you can have 1000's of players all in one spot. Throw in dedicated servers for planets and dedicated servers for physics calculations (or place a gpu, or multiple gpus in each rig) and all of these issues can easily be solved. Just takes a great mind to see it, and takes a smarter mind (like the devs) to code it.

2 hours ago, namco said:

I posted in another thread about server technology, its totally possible.

In that post, I had written about the newer AMD cpu's that are 32 core 64 thread with great core speeds. That one chip along side 2TB of memory, the proper harddrive space, and say 6 gpu's, make for one hell of a server. In that ideal, calculations where required, and programmed by the devs, will go where they are needed. Servers don't run like actually playing the game. Its all DATA. So if you need things like physics calculations, you simple use a gpu and make sure the game engine itself, when needing to make said calculations, uses a gpu (or multiple gpus) and since its raw code, the calculations will happen extremely fast compared to normal games. Think of it like mining bitcoin, you are simply applying a data set and the gpu pounds out said calculations. You aren't running a 3d model, just DATA. So, its definitely possible. I agree, right now, not really a priority, but at some point, the dev's will have to move forward and something like this would then be doable.

In fact, they already showed some of their custom tech where shards can load the same data and thus you can have 1000's of players all in one spot. Throw in dedicated servers for planets and dedicated servers for physics calculations (or place a gpu, or multiple gpus in each rig) and all of these issues can easily be solved. Just takes a great mind to see it, and takes a smarter mind (like the devs) to code it.

I'm no programmer but I think voxels, or their technique, requires cpu, not gpu power. 

They are the devs and they knowget what to do 

• 3 years later...

Wow, your clothing customization plan is superb! I would like to see and try anything like that. No one suggested that all these years. I'm glad that I entered this topic. Right now, I could totally change my wardrobe. I hope that the next partnership will be with such companies as shop.join-eby.com, right? Underwear for me is a special thing to choose for using. And I would also like to see new stuff about panties.

Samwe suggestion was posted several times before. And yes, we want it badly!

Also customization of the avatar:
- tall/short
- meager/fat
- weal/muscle-packed
- young/old
- short(long narrow/wide nose
- eye shape
- walking upright/bent
- scars, missing eye
- beard and hair styles and colors

And for fashion, we for sure need (each for both genders):
- cowboy
- hawaii tourist (flower shirt, shorts, sandals, hat, sunglasses, optionally flower wreath for neck or flower for woman's hair)
- government servant (bureaucratic)
- police
- military (camouflage colors selectable)
- beach
- prisoner

- formal
- party / 1970s disco
- Han Solo alike / 1978 Battlestar Galactica alike
- pirate

- space princess / prince (1978 Buck Rogers)
- stoneage primitives
- Star Wars stormtrooper alike / Star Trek crew alike
- casual