Scanning for prefabs and territory control?

Glowtape

So I expect territory control will also involve conquering territory of other people or organizations. How is discovery of the control units going to be handled? Do you have to scan for it, or do you have to actually find it?

If you can organize access rights via groups and hierarchy, what stops anyone from sticking a TCU into a construct with no doors or other entrances? Any changes to access rights can be done remotely by shuffling people around between groups. I'd figure constructs are going to be destructible, so eventually you'll find it by tearing a hole into aforementioned blackbox. However, what stops me from putting it like 500m under the ground? The thing would need to show up on a scanner, otherwise you'd never find it and get a chance to conquer a specific piece of territory.

30 minutes ago, Glowtape said:

So I expect territory control will also involve conquering territory of other people or organizations. How is discovery of the control units going to be handled? Do you have to scan for it, or do you have to actually find it?

If you can organize access rights via groups and hierarchy, what stops anyone from sticking a TCU into a construct with no doors or other entrances? Any changes to access rights can be done remotely by shuffling people around between groups. I'd figure constructs are going to be destructible, so eventually you'll find it by tearing a hole into aforementioned blackbox. However, what stops me from putting it like 500m under the ground? The thing would need to show up on a scanner, otherwise you'd never find it and get a chance to conquer a specific piece of territory.

This should answer several of your questions: 

Eh, not really. The enhanced view doesn't highlight the TCU and it's unclear whether it'll show on a scanner, if there's one (wouldn't be able to verify, still waiting for crowdfunding to reopen).

The only thing this video shows is that the terrain will become uneditable for people not on the ACL. Putting the TCU in the ground would render it 100% safe currently. Seems kind of a flaw, if territory contention is going to be a gameplay feature (is it?) Maybe ground will shift via weapon damage, but I'd figure it'll rather be homeopathic.

It's possible the mining scanner will also detect player placed voxels and elements. It's possible there will be a separate scanner for constructs.

But even if those two things don't work, there's more than one way to approach the problem. You can't just put the TCU into the ground and call it invulnerable.

You'll obviously have some kind of surface access to get to the TCU. Second, TCUs will be extremely expensive to set up and operate. That means supply lines. So an obvious solution would be to set up a blockade to shut it down.

2 hours ago, Velenka said:

It's possible the mining scanner will also detect player placed voxels and elements. It's possible there will be a separate scanner for constructs.

But even if those two things don't work, there's more than one way to approach the problem. You can't just put the TCU into the ground and call it invulnerable.

You'll obviously have some kind of surface access to get to the TCU. Second, TCUs will be extremely expensive to set up and operate. That means supply lines. So an obvious solution would be to set up a blockade to shut it down.

It would appear that you can dig an extensive labyrinth of tunnels with multiple doors, traps, force fields, etc. and then deploy the TCU in a room 500m below ground. The RDMS rules will prevent anyone digging down to it, so they'll have to fight through all your defences first...

It is not clear at this point whether the TCU has to be deployed within a certain altitude range, but I'd guess that would be unlikely.

As for using a blockade to "starve" a buried TCU of needed resources (if that's even possible to do), maintaining that blockade for any length of time will be extremely difficult. You'd have to control the entire surface area of the hex, and lay siege to any entrances that lead underground.

4 hours ago, Velenka said:

You can't just put the TCU into the ground and call it invulnerable.

Why? If it's in the ground and the ground is uneditable, it's invulnerable.

So, TCUs will require resources? I sure hope it requires frequent topping up. Will it degrade in hitpoints if not maintained? If not, you could still fill it up, bury it and maintain timed terrain exclusivity, without giving the enemy any chance to contend the terrain early at all.

Also, drawing parallels from EVE (or any other MMO), it seems some people don't have issues to do multi-accounting. I kind of expect organizations to bury one or more secondary player characters loaded with resources in their inventories together with the TCU, to extend the runtime while buried.

--edit: The last paragraph actually made me think. Since only people with the right access can dig into the ground, an organization could assign refueling and maintenance "moles". You only need to manage to dig a hole into the ground, hop in and then quickly close the hole above you. Then you're safe from enemy fire. You could maintain a network of maintenance tunnels, to offer a variety places of entry, if you need higher chances of bypassing PVP on top-side. You don't even need the 500m under the ground, if terrain is invulnerable.

--edit2: To extend the idea, even if you don't close the top of the hole fast enough, if you put up some double door system, the enemy would still not get access, if they manage to kill you before you close up the top. Essentially, the access point would be a cavity, to which a tunnel leads that's sealed up with terrain material.

--edit3: Basically this:

4jqNRO0.png

9 hours ago, NanoDot said:

It would appear that you can dig an extensive labyrinth of tunnels with multiple doors, traps, force fields, etc. and then deploy the TCU in a room 500m below ground. The RDMS rules will prevent anyone digging down to it, so they'll have to fight through all your defences first...

It is not clear at this point whether the TCU has to be deployed within a certain altitude range, but I'd guess that would be unlikely.

As for using a blockade to "starve" a buried TCU of needed resources (if that's even possible to do), maintaining that blockade for any length of time will be extremely difficult. You'd have to control the entire surface area of the hex, and lay siege to any entrances that lead underground.

I don't believe it's been stated that claimed territories will be unmineable for those without the rights. i.e. the mechanic could be implemented such that the territory can still be mined, but the violator will be given a certain tag for doing so. If this isn't the case, please feel free to correct me with a source. And even then, territory will certainly be destructable via weapons, regardless of rights.

Fighting to protect or capture a TCU is intended to be a monumental effort already, one for larger organizations. So whether it's hidden in tunnels or not, the effort will already be an extremely difficult task.

I hope this clears things up for you guys.

3 hours ago, Velenka said:

I don't believe it's been stated that claimed territories will be unmineable for those without the rights. i.e. the mechanic could be implemented such that the territory can still be mined, but the violator will be given a certain tag for doing so. If this isn't the case, please feel free to correct me with a source. And even then, territory will certainly be destructable via weapons, regardless of rights.

Fighting to protect or capture a TCU is intended to be a monumental effort already, one for larger organizations. So whether it's hidden in tunnels or not, the effort will already be an extremely difficult task.

I hope this clears things up for you guys.

Actually this video from NQ shows enemy tiles that have closed, not "All", access rights cant be dug into.

Good point, but keep in mind, this video is covering the pre alpha. So this is a very primitive version of rights and ownership and will most certainly change in the future. In fact, I wish i could tell you how TCUs worked out in the latest pre alpha test, but I can't. :(

See these two devblogs for NQ's vision on RDMS:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/05/21/rights-duties-management-system/

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2017/03/31/organizations-purpose-management/

22 minutes ago, Velenka said:

Good point, but keep in mind, this video is covering the pre alpha. So this is a very primitive version of rights and ownership and will most certainly change in the future. In fact, I wish i could tell you how TCUs worked out in the latest pre alpha test, but I can't. :(

See these two devblogs for NQ's vision on RDMS:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/05/21/rights-duties-management-system/

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2017/03/31/organizations-purpose-management/

True, one day I will be in game to see for myself, assuming I can ever afford one lol

Makes me wonder if NQ will introduce a 'ground ponder' weapon for aircraft/hovercraft that literally disintegrates 'large' areas of ground to get to a buried TCU....

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:26 AM, Glowtape said:

--edit3: Basically this:

4jqNRO0.png

This idea I think works but mine is close to but a little different in where you go to a unclaimed tile and build the basement level or the starting foundation of a under ground bunker/base and you put your TCU in a well defended or vaulted area then build over it.

Its still early but I cant imagine leaving the TCU out in the open and not defended in the final launch version of the game? That would make it too easy and very vulnerable to attacks and possible hacking ?

Things will probably work out towards TCUs only operating if there aren't terrain voxels above it. Static core stuff would presumably be excluded due to being destructible. Then again, that'd prohibit putting the TCU in a cave with an open entrance.

8 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Hoe about the TCU emitting a lot of heat so radiators need to be placed on the surface the tcu will overheat and cease to function?

That is an interesting idea, although it seems like it would take a bit to get working so I don't see it working that way before launch, it's a bit more feature-creep.