Mapping, Cartography and sharing a location

What I hope is that you get no maps in the beginning and the whole beginning planet is unexplored, the players will have to explore and map the entire area which can later be shared/traded/sold to other players and organisations , not only does it refers to a planet but space as well as asteroids fields and other stuff like space stations and more can be mapped, It will definitely give huge importance to explorers as a whole different role because the role they play while exploring and mapping will probably make a huge difference when it comes to game play.

The story line essentially says that we are beginning our new lives on a completely unknown planet with just our motor skills and the ability to learn new skills, so having no definitive maps of the area we are in just gives a new sense of exploration and adventure that I think players will enjoy.

While I think the idea of a holographic map is cool I don't know how successful that system can be as it can be quite hard to read it and follow it in some cases, but who knows how the mapping system will be implemented in the game.

What would be nice is if this was the way it was, they would need a cartography skill, the higher your skill the more detailed and accurate your maps would be.  That way, you could sell the basic cheap map for less and the detailed one for a lot more.

What would be nice is if this was the way it was, they would need a cartography skill, the higher your skill the more detailed and accurate your maps would be.  That way, you could sell the basic cheap map for less and the detailed one for a lot more.

Yea, you would either get it in the beginning of the game or probably gain in a tutorial or even by just exploring for some distance like 10-20km, The Map details can be like the basic geography of the area to a highly detailed map specifying all the hidden places and or flora and fauna and stuff like that and probably will play an important role in the marketplace as they say "Knowledge is Power" and the knowledge of location can be huge boon to any org plus it will be an extra incentive for explorers as they gain a field which will be highly monopolised by them.

Yea, you would either get it in the beginning of the game or probably gain in a tutorial or even by just exploring for some distance like 10-20km, The Map details can be like the basic geography of the area to a highly detailed map specifying all the hidden places and or flora and fauna and stuff like that and probably will play an important role in the marketplace as they say "Knowledge is Power" and the knowledge of location can be huge boon to any org plus it will be an extra incentive for explorers as they gain a field which will be highly monopolised by them.

I would love to see this in DU. I would add that at some point in the leveling of the skill that it becomes possible to separate parts of your own map to sell off. Not just a selected area, but also the different elements like scans from different altitudes, with different types of scanners, and the ability to tell whether the map was made from an orbital scan or some ranger shloging though the entire area, the ability to exclude specific constructs within the maps area (like a friendly/allied base or outpost), and recalling earlier posts, creating custom markers on the sold map.  It would also be cool if jobs could be assigned that ask a player to reveal a section of a map, like a scouting mission or something.  

Ideally, We plan to handle our game universe under the form of a galaxy that can be visualized on a map right from the beginning. This map is the "visible" universe. However, everybody starts at the same location - the planet Alioth - and will slowly expand from there by building more and more stargates to explore new near-by systems. This expansion will define what we call the "explored" universe, the part in which players can directly travel and interact. So the "explored" universe will be much smaller, at least at the beginning, than the "visible" universe.

source: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/841-ask-us-anything-event/page-2#entry17019

This is great news! but still no official words on planetary map.

No, let's add an actually huge map in the game. Make it like, a giraffe's print in the captin's cabin and make it like, glowing and stuff, and make it like, have those little soldiers, that you move with a stick to where you are going to attack and stuff abnd then add colors to them to punk your opposition's team's colors and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

However, serious note. And I will start a new thread later on this - for a DU GIS as well as time/date/calendar to work (IF player/community input matters with core stuff like this) we need to know key background info as space and time must be dealt with together. RL Work hat off - as you were.

I play Elite:Dangerous and the star map is amazing. I hope they use something very similar. It's so easy to use. Also shows where friends are, you can add bookmarked planets or star ports. ED is also 1:1 scale so the map is of the entire Milkyway galaxy. I'm hoping DU is the same way. Makes exploring awesome. You could play your whole life and see less than 1%. This would make it possible for every organization to literally have their own entire planet. Building in DU will be great with having a whole planet to colonize.