Crime And Puishment System ?

SovereignAugustus

To bring "the other game" approach to this, the solution is actually very simple: player karma - + for good actions and - for bad actions.

Then you create two playgrounds, one for law obeying citizens (in this case the safe zones the devs have in mind), another for lawless players. The Law obeying area will have NPC security that will shot outlaws on-site.

Problem with prisons is you need to first find and catch that given player, then have a whole facility to lock him up, this requires the devs to place more mechanics into the game then necessary for a "sandbox" game.

So, you advocate for Ultima Online gameplay ? :P

Cause there won't be a red name above anyone's head. In fact, there won't be names above anyone's head. The demo showcasing the server tech was in debug mode.

Also, Karma is like... eh.... it's not a thing for SCI-FI game, it's for magic and fairies and all those things that validate karma. The game has quantum probablities to save our asses from death, I don't think people in the DUAL universe beleive in karmic fate anymore :P

So, you advocate for Ultima Online gameplay ? :P

Cause there won't be a red name above anyone's head. In fact, there won't be names above anyone's head. The demo showcasing the server tech was in debug mode.

Also, Karma is like... eh.... it's not a thing for SCI-FI game, it's for magic and fairies and all those things that validate karma. The game has quantum probablities to save our asses from death, I don't think people in the DUAL universe beleive in karmic fate anymore :P

You can also call it security status, which is the same thing, but from Eve. Let's not argue over what to call something, when they hold the same concept. A bad reputation that players can look up to find out if you're a good guy or bad guy. If you want your city to only be a place for good people to visit, then you can set standings to that given player and those like them with low security status preventing them from docking/using any services at your city or station.

Just food for thought.

You can also call it security status, which is the same thing, but from Eve. Let's not argue over what to call something, when they hold the same concept. A bad reputation that players can look up to find out if you're a good guy or bad guy. If you want your city to only be a place for good people to visit, then you can set standings to that given player and those like them with low security status preventing them from docking/using any services at your city or station.

Just food for thought.

Well, perhaps, a faction can blacklist people, so the whole faction can see them as the usual "stranger danger" red color of the Karma mechanics.

A corporation may choose to dub those people "logistical liabilities", an empire as "villains", a republic as "felons". Just add a black-list option in the game and we golden :D

Well, perhaps, a faction can blacklist people, so the whole faction can see them as the usual "stranger danger" red color of the Karma mechanics.

A corporation may choose to dub those people "logistical liabilities", an empire as "villains", a republic as "felons". Just add a black-list option in the game and we golden :D

Pretty much, though I would like there to be more options than just out right blacklisting players, but since we don't know the full extent of what we can and can't do just yet, a little difficult breaking it down right now. :P

Honestly, this is where the whole crime and punishment system should revolve around. If a player doesn't want to be black listed by an organization, then they can either pay them off, or work for that organization to pay it off. Otherwise, they remain blacklisted unable to use services, trade, or even be KOS.

No need for this silly "Let's make a prison guys!" concept. 

Pretty much, though I would like there to be more options than just out right blacklisting players, but since we don't know the full extent of what we can and can't do just yet, a little difficult breaking it down right now. :P

Honestly, this is where the whole crime and punishment system should revolve around. If a player doesn't want to be black listed by an organization, then they can either pay them off, or work for that organization to pay it off. Otherwise, they remain blacklisted unable to use services, trade, or even be KOS.

No need for this silly "Let's make a prison guys!" concept. 

We'll build labor camps for criminals to pay for their crimes, quite literally, by mining. Isn't that how prisons worked once? Prisoners broke big stones into smaller stones. :P

We'll build labor camps for criminals to pay for their crimes, quite literally, by mining. Isn't that how prisons worked once? Prisoners broke big stones into smaller stones. :P

It's one way to do it, but part of my point is that they shouldn't be forced to do that, with it being their only option. Give the player the choice of being blacklisted, or paying off their crime by whatever means you think is necessary. It can be mining, transporting cargo, whatever the case may be. As long as there are choices that are fair to both parties. We need to remember this is still a video game, and it's meant to be something enjoyable for those in it. If we start forcing players in to prisons for doing the occasional misdeed, then one of two things will happen.

Either they will continue to play, but refrain from doing any of those previous actions, resulting in less content for the game. Peace sure does sound great, but if everyone's getting along and not stepping on toes, what is there to do besides building? The other option is that they simply stop playing. You can't blame them for creating content by doing whatever you figured was illegal, and then punishing them by pretty much content-blocking them from enjoying the game. This isn't about "you do the crime, then be punished for it" for an extended period of time. Give the offender the choice to make nice, or go about his way knowing he'll never be welcomed back and will be shot at until he pays his dues. 

Ultimately I am against any mechanic allowing players to hold players down for as long as they want. It will be abused, and it will not be worth it. The argument that you won't be one of the groups to abuse it does not make it ok. It only takes one to begin ruining it for others.

This is just how I feel about it, and in no way am I invalidating everyone else's ideas here. I could be wrong, or I could be right. 

It's one way to do it, but part of my point is that they shouldn't be forced to do that, with it being their only option. Give the player the choice of being blacklisted, or paying off their crime by whatever means you think is necessary. It can be mining, transporting cargo, whatever the case may be. As long as there are choices that are fair to both parties. We need to remember this is still a video game, and it's meant to be something enjoyable for those in it. If we start forcing players in to prisons for doing the occasional misdeed, then one of two things will happen.

Either they will continue to play, but refrain from doing any of those previous actions, resulting in less content for the game. Peace sure does sound great, but if everyone's getting along and not stepping on toes, what is there to do besides building? The other option is that they simply stop playing. You can't blame them for creating content by doing whatever you figured was illegal, and then punishing them by pretty much content-blocking them from enjoying the game. This isn't about "you do the crime, then be punished for it" for an extended period of time. Give the offender the choice to make nice, or go about his way knowing he'll never be welcomed back and will be shot at until he pays his dues. 

Ultimately I am against any mechanic allowing players to hold players down for as long as they want. It will be abused, and it will not be worth it. The argument that you won't be one of the groups to abuse it does not make it ok. It only takes one to begin ruining it for others.

This is just how I feel about it, and in no way am I invalidating everyone else's ideas here. I could be wrong, or I could be right. 

No, of course not, it woulld be a reasonable punishment. It won't be a slavery scheme of indebted servitude. We're talking reasonable things here, forcing guys who PK or stole to go and do menial tasks to harvest a specific item for X amount of times, OR, have the choice of bailing themselves out of prison for an amount proportional but equal to their crimes. 

It's more of an RP thing than anything really, a way to have depth in a faction's politics. Others may prefer exile to their criminals, while others may prefer this kind of forced labor. Of course, it won't be forever, unless a particular person is worth ransom, because they hold power on their hands, like, the economics of a nation.

This of course, would require the whole organising of an organisation to be done via an in-game terminal, than a tab on the user's end of the screen.  If the terminal idea is to be implemented to organise your org, then the whole "ransom the king" idea, can be quite the pirate way-to-go of things. It opens up possibilities of a coup, Black Ops, political backstabings and whatever else can emerge from such a gameplay option.

Perhaps the leader of that faction is convinced to turn all RDMS functions to their captors for many reasons. Perhaps his guys back home he appointed as subordinates prefer the way things are with him gone, so they can run the org as they want as substitute leaders.

See? Revenge and politics. Drama guaranteed :P

As I said many times, video games are an art and art should imitate life :P (to an extend that is ).

No, of course not, it woulld be a reasonable punishment. It won't be a slavery scheme of indebted servitude. We're talking reasonable things here, forcing guys who PK or stole to go and do menial tasks to harvest a specific item for X amount of times, OR, have the choice of bailing themselves out of prison for an amount proportional but equal to their crimes. 

It's more of an RP thing than anything really, a way to have depth in a faction's politics. Others may prefer exile to their criminals, while others may prefer this kind of forced labor. Of course, it won't be forever, unless a particular person is worth ransom, because they hold power on their hands, like, the economics of a nation.

This of course, would require the whole organising of an organisation to be done via an in-game terminal, than a tab on the user's end of the screen.  If the terminal idea is to be implemented to organise your org, then the whole "ransom the king" idea, can be quite the pirate way-to-go of things. It opens up possibilities of a coup, Black Ops, political backstabings and whatever else can emerge from such a gameplay option.

Perhaps the leader of that faction is convinced to turn all RDMS functions to their captors for many reasons. Perhaps his guys back home he appointed as subordinates prefer the way things are with him gone, so they can run the org as they want as substitute leaders.

See? Revenge and politics. Drama guaranteed :P

As I said many times, video games are an art and art should imitate life :P (to an extend that is ).

Very reasonable I suppose.

Brings up the question though of why RP sort of took a backseat when MMOs began picking up pace with the general population. People like to RP, but I think there are more that don't than do. All comes down to how far NQ are wiling to cater to each group. 

I do very, very light RP. The only extent I will go is a character name, and a slight blurb about my ship/organization and leave it there. Granted, everyone technically RPs in any game, but I think you get where I am coming from. I look at it from a strictly gaming perspective of what is and isn't enjoyable, where as I feel RP is about immersion over gameplay. Not really sure how to word that properly. I are tired. :(

We could endlessly go back and forth on this subject, which while I do enjoy this topic, would be far easier to see NQs stance on the issue, and then go from there. Plenty of solid arguments in this thread for and against the topic, and is something that I feel really needs special attention to make sure it is done right the first time.

Very reasonable I suppose.

Brings up the question though of why RP sort of took a backseat when MMOs began picking up pace with the general population. People like to RP, but I think there are more that don't than do. All comes down to how far NQ are wiling to cater to each group. 

I do very, very light RP. The only extent I will go is a character name, and a slight blurb about my ship/organization and leave it there. Granted, everyone technically RPs in any game, but I think you get where I am coming from. I look at it from a strictly gaming perspective of what is and isn't enjoyable, where as I feel RP is about immersion over gameplay. Not really sure how to word that properly. I are tired. :(

We could endlessly go back and forth on this subject, which while I do enjoy this topic, would be far easier to see NQs stance on the issue, and then go from there. Plenty of solid arguments in this thread for and against the topic, and is something that I feel really needs special attention to make sure it is done right the first time.

Yeah, I get your sentiment on the subject.

The point is a make-shift pokeball with a resurrection node, can give birth to abductions of faction leaders that can lead to plenty of in-game lore events, as JC put it, the players make the lore.

So, let us make the leaders of the world feel like Princess Peach, instead of Mario :P

FYI Cybrex, if I ever got to capture you, I'll be having you in the equivalent of a suite of a cell.

But you'll be dressed like Princess Leia on Jabba's palace though. Gotta make your stay a bit of a hell :V 

Yeah, I get your sentiment on the subject.

The point is a make-shift pokeball with a resurrection node, can give birth to abductions of faction leaders that can lead to plenty of in-game lore events, as JC put it, the players make the lore.

So, let us make the leaders of the world feel like Princess Peach, instead of Mario :P

FYI Cybrex, if I ever got to capture you, I'll be having you in the equivalent of a suite of a cell.

But you'll be dressed like Princess Leia on Jabba's palace though. Gotta make your stay a bit of a hell :V 

You know what happened to Jabba afterwards though right? He got deaded. :P

But I'm Han Solo and you'll fall in luv wid mah swagz.

Ugh, I had forgotten that thing existed. Thanks for bringing it up. >.>

Let's just uh, rewrite how that story goes after Jabba dies. I like you Twerk, but not... like like. :D

Ugh, I had forgotten that thing existed. Thanks for bringing it up. >.>

Let's just uh, rewrite how that story goes after Jabba dies. I like you Twerk, but not... like like. :D

xD ermagerd, teh RP iz 2 much xD

Maybe keep it simple, a contract system to hire mercenaries to hunt them down or a bounty system where whoever finds them first and kills them gets paid out?

I'm hoping for an over-all mission terminal element that will allow us to categorize and setup different missions based on templates or something. Then it would just be like... put the person's name into the mission and the bounty amount. BH takes and completes the mission, comes back to the terminal for the reward.