Crime And Puishment System ?

SovereignAugustus

I can say this publicly however, we will be building a super max prison - for those "good for nothing" pirates.

If you want somewhere safe to house your felons - feel free to contract them over to ACS Corrections - for only a small fee per day. We will take the scum off your hands and keep them locked away, and away from the rest of civilized society. 

We are proud to say not a soul has escaped our penal facility to date, well one guy did, but he ended up in the incinerator on his way out. 

-But that is a story for another day :)

I look forward to never seeing the insides of those prisons. Unless of course, it's to smuggle one of my "good for nothing" *cough* "associates" out of one of your fine establishments.  ;)

That does bring into question how one might actually be able to incarcerate a player. I'm starting to have FoM and APB flashbacks. Aside from just purely RP'n it, do you guys think they might put restraints, non-lethal weapons, etc. to make it so we could actually be caught?

We? Did I say we? I mean.... those fowl piratey types  :P

I can say this publicly however, we will be building a super max prison - for those "good for nothing" pirates.

If you want somewhere safe to house your felons - feel free to contract them over to ACS Corrections - for only a small fee per day. We will take the scum off your hands and keep them locked away, and away from the rest of civilized society.  :)

Any system designed by the devs that limits a player's ability and the right to play, will not go well in general. When a player pays X dollars a monthly sub, everyone will expect access to the whole game 24x7, aside from normal maint downtimes.

We need to have other forms of punishment that doesn't prevent one from playing the game.

Any system designed by the devs that limits a player's ability and the right to play, will not go well in general. When a player pays X dollars a monthly sub, everyone will expect access to the whole game 24x7, aside from normal maint downtimes.

We need to have other forms of punishment that doesn't prevent one from playing the game.

This.

Even though Wilks says he will hold a player for 48 hours - which is a long time for regular gamers to not play - it also opens up the door to multiple forms of abuse by griefers.

Make it a punishment yes, but make it to where both the victim/offender are actively involved. Not just logging in to only stare at a blank wall. 

This.

Even though Wilks says he will hold a player for 48 hours - which is a long time for regular gamers to not play - it also opens up the door to multiple forms of abuse by griefers.

Make it a punishment yes, but make it to where both the victim/offender are actively involved. Not just logging in to only stare at a blank wall. 

Well, if I can pokeball a bounty set on a person, I will pokeball said person :P

If griefers wanna grief, they'll have to get a taste of their medicine :P

It won't be easy to set up a prison IMO, but a bail system can be set. 

​So, I believe in order for the political system to function properly and for superior ranks to be respected by inferior ranks I believe some sort of crime and punishment system should be put into the game otherwise what stops a low ranked member from randomly killing people or for a ship commander by an admiral to lose all it's fleet because everyone flew off. Obviously respect and enjoyment would play a roll n respect etc... but I still think a crime and punishment system would be a good idea at least in organisation territory.

the problem with this is that the only real way to punish somebody is to punish them and that's really not fun so its  problem

I can say that I will be using a Blacklisting system for repeat offenders. If you are a known griefer, troll or other form of delinquent then we will not interact with you in any way. I prefer it over the whole prison thing because, as people have stated, if you pay for a game you should be given access to the game, no matter how you choose to play it. 

This doesn't mean we'll Blacklist anyone that attacks us, we 'll just shoot back! It's purely for people whose only goal is to irritate other folk and be a general pain in the neck.

Would be nice if all Organisations had a public Blacklist....list so that anyone can take a glance down the collective names and know who is trouble, who to avoid and who not to accept within their own Org. 

Actually locking a toon away in a prison reminds me of some early access game I played where you could do that to someone.  You had to hide a rock or something ... uhhh .... how should I put this ..... where the sun doesn't shine in order to break free from the rope if you were caught.

Maybe Reign of Kings. 

Anyways, if the game mechanics allows this to happen, then oh yeah it will definitely be happening in Yin Yang territory. B)

You can still apply some sort of prison or punishment in prison system - in many online communities it's part of the gameplay. If you f-up you can be put in prison by other players. Here, the challenge is not making it too bland or restrictive by being forced to sit or stare in a small cell - it could be a viable option without restricting players at all.

Make it a larger prison with various things you can do there and make it temporary and it would be a fun thing have - in my book.

You can still apply some sort of prison or punishment in prison system - in many online communities it's part of the gameplay. If you f-up you can be put in prison by other players. Here, the challenge is not making it too bland or restrictive by being forced to sit or stare in a small cell - it could be a viable option without restricting players at all.

Make it a larger prison with various things you can do there and make it temporary and it would be a fun thing have - in my book.

And why should other players bother to build a prison that would be fun to be incarcerated there?

Players are players, they'll do what is the least effort to archieve something.

Especially when its a big project like a prison facility.

And why should other players bother to build a prison that would be fun to be incarcerated there?

I can imagine you in an in-game prison :P

If there is demand, there will be offers. Likewise, there will be offers if there is demand.

Some intend to build a city collaboratively. A prison facility is nothing in comparison. I've also seen a few player made ones before, in Minecraft for example, although that specific one I saw was basically for admins (as in managed by them) and misbehaving players on general basis, aka rule breakers, less so much ingame prisoners in that sense.

Imprisonment would definitely be an interesting mechanic, not only for alliances to jail griefers and lawbreakers, or just people who are generally causing problems in a territory, but because of the gameplay it would add.

Just off the top of my head:

• Breaking out of jail
  • Giving jobs to people who would have to guard jails
  • Jailbreaks organized by rescue parties
  • Prison riots
  • Prisoner transport ships
  • Space Station jails, where breaking out doesn't get you anywhere without a ship to escape on too
  • Courts, where people could be represented by lawyers who would argue for their freedom.
  • etc.

Before people jump on the Courts idea as a bad thing nobody would ever want to do, there is a court system in Space Station 13 that is used all the time, and lawyers who wander around stations looking for clients to represent. I've seen trials in SS13 for everything from Clowns suing for their right to honk being taken from them, to murder cases where there was photographic (ingame polaroid) evidence of the person committing the crime. 

Even if it's not a mechanic that is supported directly by Novaquark, if there are jails there will likely be courts that are created and run by players. 

I wouldn't know where to begin on implementing a player-run punishment system with jails that would be balanced and fair, and not open for abuse.

But let's face it, even real life justice systems are ripe with abuse of authority. 

Before people jump on the Courts idea as a bad thing nobody would ever want to do, there is a court system in Space Station 13 that is used all the time, and lawyers who wander around stations looking for clients to represent. I've seen trials in SS13 for everything from Clowns suing for their right to honk being taken from them, to murder cases where there was photographic (ingame polaroid) evidence of the person committing the crime. 

Even if it's not a mechanic that is supported directly by Novaquark, if there are jails there will likely be courts that are created and run by players. 

I wouldn't know where to begin on implementing a player-run punishment system with jails that would be balanced and fair, and not open for abuse.

But let's face it, even real life justice systems are ripe with abuse of authority. 

As SS13 player myself, but at the same time as roleplayer, I must say that the whole court / judge idea from SS13 seems rather absurd to me. Of course they finally changed some of the names and tasks finally so it seems more fitting. While one could perfectly explain or justify that sort of SS13 justice system, it always seemed absurd to me to have a whole amateur court system on a privately run space station that is managed by a not so nice Corporation.

And then next to theory, there is practice. Just to name an oddity: We recently arrested an unknown person who was not on the station roster at all, and he also had a modified or sabotaged ID. So with this big red flag or question mark aboard this privately run station that also has vital areas (vault, command, AI, technology, science wing, etc) we naturally arrest and keep him at brig for interrogation and further processing. In comes some "Internal Affairs" member (those who know older versions know these were basically renamed lawyers and starts heavily arguing pro unknown person.

It just seemed bewildering to me, with or without the renaming (Lawyer / IA). At least on a privately run station. I would just assume security could deal with most people and when in doubt, the command staff of the station up to the Captain. Adding all these other ranks just seems like fluff to me - in the end the Captain still mostly runs the station while security enforces the regulations and laws.

But arguing with SS13 examples is a bit besides the point as in DU a lot more could be possible and after all, we also have nations or quasi governments here - not just privately run entities that are at war with each other.

I personally think that it does not always have to be "not open for abuse" - abuse is relative. Say you later have some ruthless state or empire or even some group or just a bunch of pirates. Would it be fair if they tried to arrest or imprison someone else because they didn't meet ridiculous criteria, broke ridiculous laws or simply were at the wrong place at the wrong time?

No. But it could, at the same time, be part of the risk and fun. Basically, "abuse of authority" as part of the world, setting, game, player-driven lore, etc.

A bit like random unexpected PVP. I think I know what you mean bottom line, however. There should be some kind of limit to this so it is not overdone nor giving players the ability to imprison almost anyone for an indefinite amount of time.

Then again the whole topic is somewhat sensitive and tricky - I would not be surprised if the whole mechanic or idea is just avoided altogether by the devs - at least for a long time. Unless they intended it to become a gameplay feature.

Imprisonment would definitely be an interesting mechanic, not only for alliances to jail griefers and lawbreakers, or just people who are generally causing problems in a territory, but because of the gameplay it would add.

• Breaking out of jail
  • Giving jobs to people who would have to guard jails
  • Jailbreaks organized by rescue parties
  • Prison riots
  • Prisoner transport ships
  • Space Station jails, where breaking out doesn't get you anywhere without a ship to escape on too
  • Courts, where people could be represented by lawyers who would argue for their freedom.
  • etc.

OBJECTION!.jpg

I want to be known as the Raptorney-at-law. :D

• Breaking out of jail

Storming of New Caprica!!!!

Player driven prison is a good thing but there should be a limit because imprisoning somebody for days is nonsense in a video game

To bring "the other game" approach to this, the solution is actually very simple: player karma - + for good actions and - for bad actions.

Then you create two playgrounds, one for law obeying citizens (in this case the safe zones the devs have in mind), another for lawless players. The Law obeying area will have NPC security that will shot outlaws on-site.

Problem with prisons is you need to first find and catch that given player, then have a whole facility to lock him up, this requires the devs to place more mechanics into the game then necessary for a "sandbox" game.