Crime And Puishment System ?

SovereignAugustus

​So, I believe in order for the political system to function properly and for superior ranks to be respected by inferior ranks I believe some sort of crime and punishment system should be put into the game otherwise what stops a low ranked member from randomly killing people or for a ship commander by an admiral to lose all it's fleet because everyone flew off. Obviously respect and enjoyment would play a roll n respect etc... but I still think a crime and punishment system would be a good idea at least in organisation territory.

I think for player factions, it can be handled by their council. i.e.: a faction decides to imprison a person for a said amount of time varying each crime, multiple crimes stack up time. There can be prison ships and planets that hold the criminals and their ships when their time is complete. If a rival clan really wants to get their person back, they can either pay a bail (made by the council considering the crimes) or break them out. 

From what I understand, all laws, and enforcement will be player driven, I don't see a way to do a jail system, and would not support one if there was.  The way I would see this being done is, through the tag system.  Player X breaks a minor law or rule, you add a additional % tax to player X.  He breaks a Major one, you either raise the tax rate, or ban him from using any of your organizations constructs.  That would include any start gates, or space stations.  That IMHO is a pretty severe punishment, depending on how big your Org is, and all the things you will be denying player x. IMHO a small Organization has no business making laws or trying to enforce them.

On your other point, Respect is earned.  if your admiral loses his fleet in your example, it is probably because he was a schmuck and didn't command respect.  I great leader doesn't need more than what I provided above.  So my advice to any large Organization would be pick your leaders carefully, and avoid the power hungry type A personalities.  

As someone hinted at a prison system:

I would not overdo it with some kind of prison system if it's totally in player hands.

In the Minecraft Civcraft (server) community, you were able to actually imprison players with some effort. The player was then bound to a physical pearl that you had to get access to in order to free him if you were not the owner of said pearl. I think that was the system in a nutshell, and an extreme example on how to not do it or how to add a limit.

I like the idea but simply think that being able to keep a player "hostage" for a possibly long time is over the top.

Don't get me wrong with my example, you were in another dimension as prisoner or "pearled player" then and kind of able to play - but it was all detached from the normal dimension. I'll refrain from giving examples on how this could work here as I'm not even sure anything remotely going into that direction is intended by the developers.

So far.

----

Apart from that, you want punishment, then use your measures given to you as organization leader or some other abstract soft power you may have acquired. Think of player driven disciplinary action or law enforcement.

The simple solution that I expect to see from most orgs is if you break the rules you get kicked and set to kill on sight. Death, while not permanent, is going to be a lot more impactful than it is in many other mmos.

You lead your Organization.
You own the space you claim.
You make the laws.

You punish those who break them the way you want to.
That's it.

As for a jail system, eh, I don't know about that. Keeping players in a cell for long periods of time would just make them less inclined to play, just remove their respawn rights and give them the death penalty! Much simpler and more effective. :P

You make the laws.

That's it.

^This. I also liked the idea proposed by GalloInfligo where you just simply cut that players access to any of your org equipment and services, impose taxes on that individual, etc. I would think that if settlements are properly defended, and dependent on how the FF system is implemented, that things should just sort themselves out after that. (IE - they get shot down every time they fly near your settlements)

While I know it would suck to be destroyed/raided by a random player, I think that true sense of the unknown is kind of a thrill. Will it sow seeds of distrust in new players and the like, sure it will. BUT, just like in real life, trust takes time, getting to know someone takes investment, it also makes those bonds and interactions feel that much stronger and rewarding. That, and with ships being expensive and difficult to make, I think (and am hopeful) that most players will avoid and be unable to follow the "make new character, crash spam ships into outpost" method of game play.

The simple solution that I expect to see from most orgs is if you break the rules you get kicked and set to kill on sight. Death, while not permanent, is going to be a lot more impactful than it is in many other mmos.

I think there can be worse alternatives for someone in terms of punishment. Being KOS for some group in a possibly large universe isn' that bad on first glance. You can move on and find a new place or people, or generally evade.

What's worse is being shunned by a larger group. If you cannot trade at certain places anymore or get big extra fees while your general reputation is in shambles, then you know you really did it. At least I'd consider some sort of effective outcast status an equal punishment.

as stated, organizations can do whatever they want to.  It can be a crime just to call the leader a bad name ... punishable by death.  :D

However like in the real world an organization doesn't have jurisdiction over any other unless said organization agreed to it. 

Like we may have a law that says if you don't like bacon then you get KOS but we couldn't enforce that in your territory .... unfortunately.

as stated, organizations can do whatever they want to.  It can be a crime just to call the leader a bad name ... punishable by death.  :D

However like in the real world an organization doesn't have jurisdiction over any other unless said organization agreed to it. 

Like we may have a law that says if you don't like bacon then you get KOS but we couldn't enforce that in your territory .... unfortunately.

*take over said territory, enforce bacon law* problem solved  ;)

You make the laws.

That's it.

This is the best part of this game as I see it. The freedom to choose how you want things to play out. A large group may decide to open a penal colony on a moon or planet and send people who break there laws there to mine resources. The amount of resources to buy back there freedom which depend on the crime or maybe they hear of a pirate organization that is looking for members and then send out a message for a jail break and in return they pledge allegiance to this shady group. It's up to use the players to make this reality and me myself can't wait to see what we come up with

i think this is going to end up essentialy being a bounty system. the idea of holding a player in "prison" is rediculous. From what i have read you own the space you make the rules, until someone bigger and better can take over your space and then they set the rules. With a bounty system you could pay to have a bounty placed on someones head and then they are opene up for all kinds of punishment including large booms. THis also caters to the criminal side to... if someone wants to be a criminal they can pride themselves on the size of the bounty on thier head. I would also make bounties so that they are paid by a player or faction as well... that means that in other areas of space that bounty may be meaningless. And also it can through a layer of possible treason and backstabbing into the mix.

As far as punishment for cheating and what not... Cheating = Banned 

I was thinking less of a KOS list and more like a Blacklist.  When you get on the Blacklist for an organization you are just blocked from using any of their things, stargates, market terminals, stations, and marked as outlaw when you enter their territories, and it would just be a matter of setting up the tagging system correctly for your organization.  Then if you want to take things even further you go to your fellow heads of Alliances, at the next political assembly and you ask that the criminal be put on all their blacklists as well. Obviously this would require a good reason, and the listing would not be indefinite in most cases.  But I really like this idea as it is doable without having to hunt down the criminal first.

I can say this publicly however, we will be building a super max prison - for those "good for nothing" pirates.

If you want somewhere safe to house your felons - feel free to contract them over to ACS Corrections - for only a small fee per day. We will take the scum off your hands and keep them locked away, and away from the rest of civilized society. 

We are proud to say not a soul has escaped our penal facility to date, well one guy did, but he ended up in the incinerator on his way out. 

-But that is a story for another day :)

We are proud to say not a soul has escaped our penal facility to date, well one guy did, but he ended up in the incinerator on his way out. 

respect, killing people in a game thats far from being available to anyone :V

respect, killing people in a game thats far from being available to anyone :V

never said we killed him - just that he fell into an incinerator while trying to escape, not our fault. 

Technically - I would say 48 hours would be maximum time the ACS would impose - you must remember however - that is time you are able to do NOTHING at all - or just what we have you do, maybe stamping ship license plates.