I LIKE TRAINS (no seriously)

friendlytyrant03

So I was thinking, what if I could use those hovercraft engines and have some kind rail to go with it and use it to make some kind of maglev/monorail system. Imagine an intercity train system that can remove ships off the sky and decrease air traffic. or at least have one going around your city to go places faster so now ships can stop crashing into your buildings. I don't know what do you think?

Hey man,
If you want to try it, I mean, its worth a shot.
Maybe you can make it fast enough to be a viable transport method, though I'm unsure how the system would handle the constant collisions against the track from the cars :P 

Anythings possible! But it seems like a sound theory between set settlements. 

If the game ends up being capable of having trains and subways and the like, I would love it. Seems like they should be much easier (tech research wise at least) to be able to create initially, and probably for more useful for moving large amounts of materials/people as compared to using multiple wheeled vehicles. Think having trains also adds a sense of realism and touch of character to our settlements and installations. Good idea, I hope that it's feasible :)

From something I read at a earlier date - sorry I do not remember where - there will be something like a I beam track system supposedly in the game. - far as I know at-least. 

That would be awesome if you are recalling correctly :D 

I can fully see myself abusing that for my own personal benefit! Forget the masses, I need to move product!  B)

Sorry if this is a bit off of the original topic... But one thing I was wondering about rail systems on planets, is how you compensate for the curvature of the planet. it would have to be a very gradual angling of the track as it makes its way across the surface. This wouldn't be achievable if the track elements are just connected end to end. So hopefully there would be a way to angle rails.

Sorry if this is a bit off of the original topic... But one thing I was wondering about rail systems on planets, is how you compensate for the curvature of the planet. it would have to be a very gradual angling of the track as it makes its way across the surface. This wouldn't be achievable if the track elements are just connected end to end. So hopefully there would be a way to angle rails.

What - you have not heard of micro angles - or sloping voxels ? :)

What - you have not heard of micro angles - or sloping voxels ? :)

Well I'm well aware that sloping voxels and micro angles will be possible in Dual, I just figured that with rails being a functional predefined game element would make it complicated. Take the electrical pipe models that have been released for example. They are connected end to end and turn at right angles. Most of my voxel experience is from SE though, where there is no rail system.

Sorry if this is a bit off of the original topic... But one thing I was wondering about rail systems on planets, is how you compensate for the curvature of the planet.

Even if they're just straight,. the curvature of the planet will be less work than the uneven terrain for making rails conform too. 

Chances are we'll just have some fixed slopes and bends available, i'm sure the dev's will make it have enough options to navigate the planets effectively 

Even if they're just straight,. the curvature of the planet will be less work than the uneven terrain for making rails conform too. 

Chances are we'll just have some fixed slopes and bends available, i'm sure the dev's will make it have enough options to navigate the planets effectively 

I would actually assume if it were just a beam rail as per mention above in the thread, the beam would just snap to the next point, so on, so forth. 

Thus making the need for micro angles and such not needed. 

But, you are right, the curvature should be small enough that either way the tracks will work.

Oh cool, I honestly didn't know about the micro angles and such, was kinda concerned myself about following the curve as well. Glad to hear that there are mechanics related to voxels that can compensate for this!

While the OP might have been more specifically about a raised monorail, I think the broader idea of trains as a whole (regardless of positioning) will be essential when we very first start off. Who knows how long it might take to unlock flight, how far away resources will be from each other, methods of cargo carry, etc. Having an automated rail to help bring all of those things together seems like the right direction to me.

Besides, trains are cool  :wub:

I don't plan on the train turning(that would be to hard but I have an idea on how to curve the track along the planet's curve I also know how to use hovercraft units and some classic blocks like this

https://propelsteps.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/mag-lev-diagram.gif?w=585

P.S. I do plan on automating my trains because why not although i need someone who can script *wink*

I don't plan on the train turning(that would be to hard but I have an idea on how to curve the track along the planet's curve I also know how to use hovercraft units and some classic blocks like this

https://propelsteps.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/mag-lev-diagram.gif?w=585

P.S. I do plan on automating my trains because why not although i need someone who can script *wink*

Well we know there are already hovercraft units that allow vehicles to levitate, so why would a maglev system be necessary? You could just automatically guide hovercraft along predefined routes with scripts in that case. You could just program destinations X, Y, Z and it will act like a maglev without the need for rails. Perhaps if it were more cost effective?

A universal rail system that is used for elevators, trains, and assembly lines still seems like the best option though.

With the hover tech, if you are able to store a list of waypoints in a script, you can have any "rail" system you want without any proper "rail" at all :)

Anyway, energy/fuel might be a problem for an automated train/elevator

With the hover tech, if you are able to store a list of waypoints in a script, you can have any "rail" system you want without any proper "rail" at all :)

Anyway, energy/fuel might be a problem for an automated train/elevator

"I think this is the best way to go. If solar energy was made available, a low capacity train or a set of them will be extremely effective."

Space trai...wait

Space railways!

"We just need a Ministry of Transportation now or a company with a railway monopoly and a worker's Union. When we have that, we're ready to go."

If solar energy was made available, a low capacity train or a set of them will be extremely effective."

That is assuming thrusters won't need another fuel than electricity :P