Floating pieces?

Glowtape

From how it looks in the tutorial videos posted today, it appears that any material you want to build up, it needs to touch something else (e.g. the ground, or a core that touches the ground). What'd happen if you were to pull up a single tall stilt, build a huge base on top of it, then erase the stilt? Will it float? Will some physics apply and it'll come down crashing? Is there some code that checks the voxel tree and prevents you from breaking off pieces?

we will(probably) be able to have disconnected free floating premade pieces and we will (probably) be able to have floating disconnected voxels. or we will, if it doesn't interfere with the repair system. when the nda lifts we can test/show how it works 

Edited by Ravenskysong
edited to be more nda friendly

11 hours ago, Ravenskysong said:

we will(probably) be able to have disconnected free floating premade pieces and we will (probably) be able to have floating disconnected voxels. or we will, if it doesn't interfere with the repair system. when the nda lifts we can test/show how it works 

Don't need to worry about NDA friendliness quite there. There are some actual references where this is stated. I have been looking for a number of minutes though. I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere in here.

https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Dual_Universe_Wiki:Archive#Interviews

Or here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dualthegame/videos

Good luck finding it. I know it is referenced though.

I believe JC has stated in combat, if pieces were disconnected from the main construct due to an explosion, they would continue to fly with the construct because they were part of the build matrix.

I would think this would carry over to building the ship itself.  If you built a ship with thrusters on the wings, and then deleted some of the voxels of the wings, the thrusters would continue to hover in place.