Faster Travel

ADFormer

I heard that the planet distances are going to be a good 2 days apart in real time, so rather than setting your ship on auto pilot and logging on every 48 hours till you find a good planet to settle on could there be an FTL (Faster Than Light) drive or something like that? So rather than getting the first 15 seconds of this video, we get what is in the last 5 seconds?

With the first engines you'll need hours to get to other planets in the same system. With ftl you need mere minutes, but days to weeks to other solar systems. Only stargates allow fast travel to other systems.

Normal engines ~c

Ftl ~ 1000 c

Stargate probes ~ 10.000 c

Source: devblog and interviews

Without breaking the NDA, let's just say that your timeframe of 2 days between planets is wildly out of proportion (at least for a small ship). Lethys is more on track with the timeframe, as has been mentioned in multiple interviews and Dev blogs. 

However, you seem to be suggesting that it shouldn't take that long to travel between planets in any case. While I understand the thought process, that's very contrary to what NQ has in mind for DU. Traveling between planets (and even more so between stars) is supposed to be a time investment. This isn't going to be like EVE, where you can travel across that galaxy at the drop of a hat, so don't expect that amount of freedom of movement. 

I personally hope movement is somewhat limited. I'd love to invest a large amount of time getting my organization to the farthest reaches of the universe to mine super-rare materials, and bring them back for a massive profit (assuming we make it alive). 

Or the opposite, piracy in the distanced zones where no-one is policing them ;).

Either way I do hope they build it in such a way that travel between stars is quite long.

I agree, making the travel times longer just adds to immersion, for myself at least. It'd be epic to set out with group on a transport ship in search of a new star system to call home and have it take days to weeks. It makes it feel like a real accomplishment. I also think by making it take longer, it will keep the exploration side of the game a lasting mechanic that people will always dump time into, which is awesome.

On 10/18/2017 at 7:27 PM, ADFormer said:

I heard that the planet distances are going to be a good 2 days apart in real time, so rather than setting your ship on auto pilot and logging on every 48 hours till you find a good planet to settle on could there be an FTL (Faster Than Light) drive or something like that? So rather than getting the first 15 seconds of this video, we get what is in the last 5 seconds?

On 10/19/2017 at 12:16 AM, Lethys said:

With the first engines you'll need hours to get to other planets in the same system. With ftl you need mere minutes, but days to weeks to other solar systems. Only stargates allow fast travel to other systems.

Normal engines ~c

Ftl ~ 1000 c

Stargate probes ~ 10.000 c

Source: devblog and interviews

With these two quotes in mind, I could see a group of players who actually want to branch out, so they spend the time as a team to get to a new solar system, and upon arriving, immediately setup mining for materials (or maybe already have them depending on their ship size) and then build said "star gate". Then with the other half their team back at the original solar system, they link up the two "star gates" and thus you now have much much faster travel between solar system. Being a pioneer isn't supposed to be "easy" there are risks, and rewards. I just hope at launch there are enough types of minerals, metals, chemicals, fuels, etc, that can be harvested/mined, and even combined to make compound elements, and metal alloys. This way, someone who spends the time in their skill tree to research said tech to combine metals or chemicals, and create new metals and chemicals/fuels and then sell them. being the "pioneer". Game has so much potential.

EDIT: and now that I think about it, it would be cool to make custom sized star gates as well. Maybe I have a ball like ship in the shape of a rectangle (but rounded) and I make a star gate just long enough for me and anyone with a ship like mine to go through. I could then have my own custom portal in that sense. this would also help me keep it hidden vs larger "star gates". I could imagine a group raiding a stargate to destroy it to stop the migration to a new solar system so they can remain the only group there reaping all the rewards :P

2 hours ago, namco said:

With these two quotes in mind, I could see a group of players who actually want to branch out, so they spend the time as a team to get to a new solar system, and upon arriving, immediately setup mining for materials (or maybe already have them depending on their ship size) and then build said "star gate". Then with the other half their team back at the original solar system, they link up the two "star gates" and thus you now have much much faster travel between solar system. Being a pioneer isn't supposed to be "easy" there are risks, and rewards. I just hope at launch there are enough types of minerals, metals, chemicals, fuels, etc, that can be harvested/mined, and even combined to make compound elements, and metal alloys. This way, someone who spends the time in their skill tree to research said tech to combine metals or chemicals, and create new metals and chemicals/fuels and then sell them. being the "pioneer". Game has so much potential.

EDIT: and now that I think about it, it would be cool to make custom sized star gates as well. Maybe I have a ball like ship in the shape of a rectangle (but rounded) and I make a star gate just long enough for me and anyone with a ship like mine to go through. I could then have my own custom portal in that sense. this would also help me keep it hidden vs larger "star gates". I could imagine a group raiding a stargate to destroy it to stop the migration to a new solar system so they can remain the only group there reaping all the rewards :P

Stargates don't need anyone "on the other side. You send a probe there which travels >10k c, build a gate on your endend and once the probe arrives, you can jump to it and start building the second gate.

And yes, that's the idea: make exploration hard but rewarding. Plus limiting the spreading o it of players