Jump to content
CaptainTwerkmotor

Mining Equipment - should it cause damage to enemies?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

It is a cybernetic limb, yes. Actually the avatars in DU are more or less cyborg, implant on the head, nanoformer, I'd be not surprised if instead of "hunger" we had just batteries we had to recharge and capacitors acting like a stamiba bar.

Either way, yes, NQ does want the mining to be done not vastly differently between newbros and veterans, howvever, giving miners a progrssion system witrh tols they can unlock doesn't hurt, that's the idea of the jackhammer from Landmark. You still had to use the Pickaxe to mine resources, the JAckhammer just made going through the dirt faster - it had a wider digging bubble and it would not actaully gather the dirt, thus leaving yur inventory open only for the minerals you wanted.

It's about efficiency in the operational way, not the statistic way. Both parties would mine the minerals using the nanoformer, one of them though has invested on a tool meant to make getting to the ore faster.  The guy without the jackhammer would have to destory dirt from his inventory to make room for the actual Ore they want, while the person with the jacxkhammer does that automatically - they ignore the dirt they dug.

That's all very interesting, but what relevance does it have to my post ?

 

I raised no objection to the idea of mining tools themselves, so a lengthy defence of the concept is unnecessary.

 

As for the nature of avatars in DU, we're either 100% machine and powered by batteries, or we're "cyborg" (part machine, part organic). Unless DU's lore contains a miraculous "energy to cellular nutrient converter", the organic part of the cyborg will still need conventional nutrients, i.e. food in solid or liquid form...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NanoDot said:

That's all very interesting, but what relevance does it have to my post ?

 

I raised no objection to the idea of mining tools themselves, so a lengthy defence of the concept is unnecessary.

 

As for the nature of avatars in DU, we're either 100% machine and powered by batteries, or we're "cyborg" (part machine, part organic). Unless DU's lore contains a miraculous "energy to cellular nutrient converter", the organic part of the cyborg will still need conventional nutrients, i.e. food in solid or liquid form...

I didn't "defend", I just added to your post.

There is a way to get nutrients and energy from food, that's what fruits are, they contain the equivalent to fresh "battery" acids for humans as we.ll as fiber that can be used to replesnish skill cells. So you could eat to keep them cells regenerating AND having implants that can convert body fat to energy and storing it on batteries. It's not really an alien concept to be able to deploy electrolytes that can convert fat into heat and then storing said heat on batteries. 

I mean, they clearly can merge machines and humans, the nanoformer is just that, integrated technology and in the lore they said that the nanoformer was bpoiwered by body heat, but since it's the "old lore", for all I know, they could change that to fit a narrative about humans in the future solving obesity that way.

And hey, if we have batteries in our bodies, it's fair game for NQ to later on go full on Deux Ex and enabling us to use implants for more battery life or more speed or w/hatever else they can go with, at the expense of more energy consumption or avatar weight.

 

And humans ARE machines, your body fat IS your battery life. Cybernetic Implant Batteries would only make your battery life improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst i do not belive we are full cybernetic, the nano former is a part of our suit not our bodies. The mining initially will have to be done with nano formers and well will have refineries to process the stuff. I do not think we'll get mining equipment though....maybe it will be a mining upgrade to nanoformer itself, this is more likely, as well and support equipment to assist with the mining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a nano former it could gain energy by breaking down some kind of object or things that will provids it with the energy it needs to continue. With the energy stores being upgradable so you can mine longer or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alethion said:

Whilst i do not belive we are full cybernetic, the nano former is a part of our suit not our bodies. The mining initially will have to be done with nano formers and well will have refineries to process the stuff. I do not think we'll get mining equipment though....maybe it will be a mining upgrade to nanoformer itself, this is more likely, as well and support equipment to assist with the mining.

Actaully ,they did state in the devblogs, they clearly say "rigged right INTO your arm".

Source : 
https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/08/17/about-the-alpha-gameplay/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch, ok whilst it is plugged into your arm.....it could still fuel its power requirements by breaking down organic things.....rather than pulling resources from your body. Otherwise you'd need to be a fat bastard to do anything in the game.....then binge eat to use it again.l ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alethion said:

Ouch, ok whilst it is plugged into your arm.....it could still fuel its power requirements by breaking down organic things.....rather than pulling resources from your body.

Turning body fat to energy is way edgier tho.

Think about that, having players who use some Energy Nosferatu Upgrades on their Nanoformer and speaking in fake chinese accents, saying "YOUR SOUL IS MINE !!!"from the Mortal Kombat movie.

Alethion likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vant to suck your blood......it ok i dont need to bite your neck anymore...we're in the future now....get with the program. i simply suck it at a distance.......sucks for you though......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alethion said:

I vant to suck your blood......it ok i dont need to bite your neck anymore...we're in the future now....get with the program. i simply suck it at a distance.......sucks for you though......

Yuss!

I should make a topic on the nanoformer and if it'd be dank to have it get module upgrades to be optimised for certain gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

...
There is a way to get nutrients and energy from food, that's what fruits are, they contain the equivalent to fresh "battery" acids for humans as we.ll as fiber that can be used to replesnish skill cells. So you could eat to keep them cells regenerating AND having implants that can convert body fat to energy and storing it on batteries. It's not really an alien concept to be able to deploy electrolytes that can convert fat into heat and then storing said heat on batteries. 
...

Turning organic matter into energy is easy, we mastered that concept aeons ago.

 

However, turning pure energy into anything (let alone complex organic structures) has so far utterly defied us.

 

Hence my reference to a "miraculous energy to cellular nutrient converter".

Of course, once we've mastered the art of atomic manipulation, the sky's the limit...

 

But wait... why stop at synthesizing cellular nutrients ?

If we can turn energy into matter, we can make minerals too !

Who needs mining then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Turning organic matter into energy is easy, we mastered that concept aeons ago.

 

However, turning pure energy into anything (let alone complex organic structures) has so far utterly defied us.

 

Hence my reference to a "miraculous energy to cellular nutrient converter".

Of course, once we've mastered the art of atomic manipulation, the sky's the limit...

 

But wait... why stop at synthesizing cellular nutrients ?

If we can turn energy into matter, we can make minerals too !

Who needs mining then ?

Who said anything about converting "energy to matter" ? You are a cyborg cause you use both machine and organic parts at the same time.

 

That's why you got humans in DU being cyborgs, yeah? Nutrients are needed for cellular regeneration and any excess fat is stored as energy - up to a point of course.


Add some implants like artificial hearts and liver, and you got yourself a human that can only run on pure enrgy and can regenerate their energy bar by eating.
, as well as heal wounds faster. Lose Health Points (after shield and Armor are depleted) ? No problem, you get to eat and the Health bar refills. How? Cybernetic implants, accelerating healing - if the nutrients exist of course, no Wolverine Healing Factor. Same food consumable has an energy replenishing effect (on your Battery , which is the long-term storage for energy). And who knows, maybe you can get a Tier 2 Cybernetic Liver that can increase your regenerating capabilities later on, or a Heart Tier 2 implant that can pump more blood faster through your body, thus making you een faster when running - which would mean you consume more energy, which means "with great power comes a great power bill".

Is this conversation relevant to the topic? Not one bit.

P.S. : I am aware a "stronger heart" would need a stronger vascular system. And hey, if NQ decides to go that route, people in DU could decide to go Fuill Cyborg, but when they die they have to take all the procedures againt to become how they used to be, no free lunches here, the economy has to keep going. Would that be smart to become full robot? No, Robots suffer from things like EMP and their dependency on energy only, makes them vulerable to draining effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the lore....the nano formers are beyond our sapian brains to replicate as they were made by the machine AI we used.....in ways we do not understand.....and we deactivated....them cause we were afraid. So according to the lore we are a little limited to certain mechanisms or construction within the bounds of what the nanoformer is capable of. Though the Ark AI is partly sentient...or after many 100 or 1000 of years become sentient just pretending ;)

 

Also they have said in the Devblog

 

For the nanoformer, it could simply be your body heat, so all you need to do is to (h)eat. We would need to get some serious future pseudo-science to explain that however, because the Watts available will be rather limited!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alethion said:

According to the lore....the nano formers are beyond our sapian brains to replicate as they were made by the machine AI we used.....in ways we do not understand.....and we deactivated....them cause we were afraid. So according to the lore we are a little limited to certain mechanisms or construction within the bounds of what the nanoformer is capable of. Though the Ark AI is partly sentient...or after many 100 or 1000 of years become sentient just pretending ;)

 

Also they have said in the Devblog

 

For the nanoformer, it could simply be your body heat, so all you need to do is to (h)eat. We would need to get some serious future pseudo-science to explain that however, because the Watts available will be rather limited!

 

 

While that's an acceptable excuse in the lore eat to get calories ("heat"), actual batteriers would be much more dandy and, possibly, future friendly for any plans NQ might have for cyborgifcation or augmentations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Who said anything about converting "energy to matter" ? You are a cyborg cause you use both machine and organic parts at the same time.

 

That's why you got humans in DU being cyborgs, yeah? Nutrients are needed for cellular regeneration and any excess fat is stored as energy - up to a point of course.


Add some implants like artificial hearts and liver, and you got yourself a human that can only run on pure enrgy and can regenerate their energy bar by eating.
 

...

"Twerk Logic" at its best, lol

 

Make up your mind, do we need food or not ?

 

If not, how do you propose to synthesize the cellular nutrients from the pure energy stored in the batteries ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2017 at 4:35 PM, NanoDot said:

"Twerk Logic" at its best, lol

 

Make up your mind, do we need food or not ?

 

If not, how do you propose to synthesize the cellular nutrients from the pure energy stored in the batteries ?

He is for food, but not in a "YOU MUST EAT EVERY 20 MINS" kind of a manner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×