My biggest worry about this game

Tactician

On 18.10.2017 at 2:52 AM, blazemonger said:

@Eternal

If you are serious about what you wrote, you will have a rude awakening in DU.. It's not like you can just park your ships and/or stuff in a NPC station and count on it being there when you next log in. If you are on a long journey, you can't safe log off and expect to be right where you were next time you log on again. DU is a truly persistent universe, you log off, your ship/stuff/structures stay visible and can be attacked/destroyed unless you set up defences yourself. There are no timers to give you a chance to defend when you are in a different timezone than your attacker. If you travel space while you log off, your ship might crash onto a planet while offline if you did not set your trajectory correctly.

If having your stuff destroyed and/or not having protection is your concern then EVE is certainly the better choice as it actually has exactly that, protection.. Even when a citadel gets's dismantled or destroyed and you had stuff in there, it will be moved to a safe location automatically. None of this is available in DU. And I just hope you are not considering full loot PVP a bad thing.

EVE is certainly not garbage, it may not be for you, but if it was garbage it would not be around 15 years after it was first released.. Does it have flaws? certainly, but then again, what doesn't. DU however will have quite a long way to go before it comes close to matching what CCP has achieved with EVE. Just discarding it as you seem to do basically tells me you really do not have much understanding about what EVE is and based on what you wrote the same would go for DU.

I backed this game - reading what you're writing here, I feel that you feel entitled to shape gameplay as you and people who agree with you see fit, in a very PvP-oriented direction. I'm starting to feel like I did a mistake by being interested in DU, since most of people see this the way you do, and you guys are pre-alpha team. So, yeah...for the first time ever I feel discouraged from playing DU and investing my money into it. But maybe that's good, it will save me some disappointment.

5 minutes ago, Ghoster said:

I backed this game - reading what you're writing here, I feel that you feel entitled to shape gameplay as you and people who agree with you see fit, in a very PvP-oriented direction. I'm starting to feel like I did a mistake by being interested in DU, since most of people see this the way you do, and you guys are pre-alpha team. So, yeah...for the first time ever I feel discouraged from playing DU and investing my money into it. But maybe that's good, it will save me some disappointment.

Just to be a different opinion here, PvP is one of the least important gameplay aspects in DU to me and I am a pre-alpha backer. Many of us that don't care about PvP just don't participate in these discussions so don't get too depressed with the bias in here. Also remember that PvP was a stretch goal, so it wasn't even NQ's top priority.

On 17.10.2017 at 8:35 PM, Warden said:

I'd simply call this natural selection on an organizational level. If you try to establish a bad business due to ideas or you lacking the right skills, you will likely lose. Same idea here. 

You survive somehow or you fail. 

A sidenote: I would love to see all social darvinism advocates to reflect upon their glorious ideas by losing their revenue stream due to AI replacing their jobs forever, or losing their homes because some powerful people decide to compete with different powerful people over piece of land through warfare. Or maybe just trying to survive without antibiotics when they're infected with multi-resistant bacteria, which their immune system cannot defeat. Then they would be perhaps able to realize full consequences of preaching social darvinism in 2017.

27 minutes ago, Ghoster said:

I backed this game - reading what you're writing here, I feel that you feel entitled to shape gameplay as you and people who agree with you see fit, in a very PvP-oriented direction.

Actually, I am very non PVP oriented, will avoid it when I can but believe in the credo of the corp I am a member of in EVE and started a chapter for in DU, Signal Cartel:

TL;DR
Neutral and peaceful explorers, offer assistance where needed.
Signal members will never shoot first
Signal members will always look for a non-violent way out
Signal members _will_ end a fight if they have to

I am confident there will be more than enough to search for and discover in DU and intend to explore and investigate as much as I can. I am sure this will keep me busy and entertained for a long, long time.

That said, I feel OP has a very misaligned idea about what EVE is about and what DU will be about, to the point where in his/her case it may be an awakening not expected. EVE is an extremely safe and guarding game where your assets are generally untouchable unless you carry them in the ship you are currently flying and it get's destroyed. In DU nothing is safe unless you yourself provide safety for it in some way, generally people will join an organization for this purpose.

And yes, I do believe that I will be able to shape game play as I feel it should be, at the same time everyone else can too and so eventually this is bound to clash which is the whole idea. PVP will be an intrinsic and ever present part of DU and while you can try to evade it when you have no interest, you will not be able to avoid it unless you recluse into an obscure corner of the DU universe.. This is a social/interactive game and so that will happen to you sooner or later.. PVP is not just pewpew in space, it is any confrontation/interaction between players, be it in space, on planets in the market or wherever.

7 minutes ago, Ghoster said:

A sidenote: I would love to see all social darvinism advocates to reflect upon their glorious ideas by losing their revenue stream due to AI replacing their jobs forever, or losing their homes because some powerful people decide to compete with different powerful people over piece of land through warfare. Or maybe just trying to survive without antibiotics when they're infected with multi-resistant bacteria, which their immune system cannot defeat. Then they would be perhaps able to realize full consequences of preaching social darvinism in 2017.

Game != Real world.

There are plenty of possibilities for players who don't want toto PvP. Just be aware that you might not get to see or be able toto enjoy the full world of DU. 

PvP isn't the main goal of DU, true, but without it this world would be boring and there wouldn't be as much emergent, interesting and exciting gameplay. 

Who would buy ships? Who Would build marvelous bases with well thought out defenses? Who would come up with glorious tactics to defeat those? 

And so on

6 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Game != Real world.

There are plenty of possibilities for players who don't want toto PvP. Just be aware that you might not get to see or be able toto enjoy the full world of DU. 

PvP isn't the main goal of DU, true, but without it this world would be boring and there wouldn't be as much emergent, interesting and exciting gameplay. 

Who would buy ships? Who Would build marvelous bases with well thought out defenses? Who would come up with glorious tactics to defeat those? 

And so on

I don't disagree, it's just a matter of what we put emphasis on, and how the community will be. Like, I won't be delighted to see campers just outside PvP safe zone who hunt for ships flying out of it - that sort of thing. And it's possible if someone or a group of people just takes on the idea that, he can do whathever he enjoys, and has a proper infrastructure to maintain such behaviour.

12 minutes ago, Ghoster said:

a matter of what we put emphasis on, and how the community will be. 

The devs will also get to tip the scales pretty heavily here, don't underestimate the power of mechanical reinforcement!

The game itself will likely have a bias towards order and protection, to help counteract the player-bias towards destruction and PVP. In games without that bias, it only takes a few destructive players to ruin the experience for a large number of peaceful builders, I've got some faith that NQ will provide plenty of tools to create safe-ish areas.

We will still have some equivalent to null-sec (from eve) though, since "laws" will really only be enforceable in automated areas (like within the influence of a TU), or in areas where there are actually players to carry-out law enforcement (in loosely held zones or space without TU's). Outside of those areas it'll be the wild west, but space is huge, so a pirate finding you and killing you randomly will be a needle in a haystack situation unless there are solid ways to scan for ships long-distance, or unless you happen to be intersecting a high-activity area.

27 minutes ago, Ghoster said:

I don't disagree, it's just a matter of what we put emphasis on, and how the community will be. Like, I won't be delighted to see campers just outside PvP safe zone who hunt for ships flying out of it - that sort of thing. And it's possible if someone or a group of people just takes on the idea that, he can do whathever he enjoys, and has a proper infrastructure to maintain such behaviour.

The safezone has a radius of 20-30km...gl camping those ~120+ km. Just be careful and think first - then go outside

On 17/10/2017 at 8:49 PM, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

EVE's terrible UI is the main thing driving people off, not the sandbox.

Not sure about that, what drove me off was the "if it is red it is dead" mentality that most players of EVE have. I mostly did exploration and relic and data sites in EVE, but that quickly became a mere game of hiding as PVP players thought an unarmed frigate would look good in their killboard. 

What surprises me is how many here just want DU to be a EVE clone, clones will never work. If DUs main playstyle will be a copy of EVE it will fail. Not because that playstyle is bad, but because it is a clone. 

DU must make sure that it will offer more and different playstyles than EVE. 

1 hour ago, Shockeray said:

Also remember that PvP was a stretch goal, so it wasn't even NQ's top priority.

No, AvA (Avatar vs Avatar) PVP was always a core concept in DU's design AFAIK.

It's the CvC (Construct vs Construct) that was a stretch goal.

So PVP as a basic game feature is just as important as any other feature in DU.

We just have to make sure that it stays that way, and isn't elevated into a state where "the game is all about PVP"...

11 minutes ago, Forodrim said:

Not sure about that, what drove me off was the "if it is red it is dead" mentality that most players of EVE have. I mostly did exploration and relic and data sites in EVE, but that quickly became a mere game of hiding as PVP players thought an unarmed frigate would look good in their killboard. 

What surprises me is how many here just want DU to be a EVE clone, clones will never work. If DUs main playstyle will be a copy of EVE it will fail. Not because that playstyle is bad, but because it is a clone. 

No One (not even the kitty) want DU to be an eve clone, and No One ever asked for that. Eve did many things right and those concepts should be pushed further

1 hour ago, Forodrim said:

I said it in the past, that indeed we need NO Killmails in DU. Killmails drive that mentality in eVE.

However, the NBSI protocol; is there for a reason, if yo uare red, it means you are affiliated with an enemy. You can't expect them to give yo ua free passs.

For all they know, you could be scouting for a fleet. They HAVE to take you out. YOu should not exprect any mercy in DU in that regard either. You have an entire server to "explore", if you want to "explore" in an enemy's territory, then yexpect them to kidnly remove you fro mthe premises by force.

4 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

However, the NBSI protocol; is there for a reason, if yo uare red, it means you are affiliated with an enemy. You can't expect them to give yo ua free passs.

Personally I prefer the NRDS rule we maintain in Providence. It allows for neutrals (and not affiliated newbros) to do their thing. If there a risk? sure, but it does not outweigh the benefit.

For those who do not know

NBSI = Not Blue Shoot It (anything not friendly can be attacked and killed)

NRDS = Not Red Don't Shoot (unless it's a known enemy, leave it alone)

41 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

Personally I prefer the NRDS rule we maintain in Providence. It allows for neutrals (and not affiliated newbros) to do their thing. If there a risk? sure, but it does not outweigh the benefit.

For those who do not know

NBSI = Not Blue Shoot It (anything not friendly can be attacked and killed)

NRDS = Not Red Don't Shoot (unless it's a known enemy, leave it alone)

Yes, but the thing is DU operates more like Wormhole Space, and hopefully, there won't be a Local Chat.

Most people in WHs will immediately attack you if they see a neutral. Why? Cause you don't know if the guy you just seen is alone or part of a fleet. For all you know, that tiney tiny astero might be there to tackle you (warp disrupt for non-EVE players).

In fact, in WHs, if your miner spots a neutral, they will immediately call on the cloaked Legion / PRoteus to come wreck you fast. They do not do it for the "kill mail", for all they know, you could be there to pull a WingspanTT on their miners and disrupt their operations.

There's a reason wormhole russians have a certain level of notoriety in EVE, it's cause of the fact they won't let you live for long if you try to gank their miners.

Also, NBSI in EVE means no foreigners stealing your mineral wealth. NBSI in DU would mean "no foreigners stealing your mineral wealth that WON'T regenerate". And like in EVE, your "claim" over a planet is only effective if people patrol said region. You can say ":X planet is Y Alliance's planet", if you do not actively prevent people from mining on that planet, your "claim" is as strong as the UN's power.

NBSI means you don't have to say sorry. Think of griefing neutrals similarly as border control. They have a means of not being griefed by NBSI protocols, and that is by joining the alliance / coalition itself, where they will pay taxes to the regional governing body.

It's that simple. Providence is the way it is cause of "cultural" reasons. While that is admirable, it's not something that can be applied everywhere, especially not in 0.0 on the North or Wormhole Space.

2 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Yes, but the thing is DU operates more like Wormhole Space, and hopefully, there won't be a Local Chat.

Most people in WHs will immediately attack you if they see a neutral. Why? Cause you don't know if the guy you just seen is alone or part of a fleet. For all you know, that tiney tiny astero might be there to tackle you (warp disrupt for non-EVE players).

In fact, in WHs, if your miner spots a neutral, they will immediately call on the cloaked Legion / PRoteus to come wreck you fast. They do not do it for the "kill mail", for all they know, you could be there to pull a WingspanTT on their miners and disrupt their operations.

There's a reason wormhole russians have a certain level of notoriety in EVE, it's cause of the fact they won't let you live for long if you try to gank their miners.

Also, NBSI in EVE means no foreigners stealing your mineral wealth. NBSI in DU would mean "no foreigners stealing your mineral wealth that WON'T regenerate". And like in EVE, your "claim" over a planet is only effective if people patrol said region. You can say ":X planet is Y Alliance's planet", if you do not actively prevent people from mining on that planet, your "claim" is as strong as the UN's power.

NBSI means you don't have to say sorry. Think of griefing neutrals similarly as border control. They have a means of not being griefed by NBSI protocols, and that is by joining the alliance / coalition itself, where they will pay taxes to the regional governing body.

It's that simple. Providence is the way it is cause of "cultural" reasons. While that is admirable, it's not something that can be applied everywhere, especially not in 0.0 on the North or Wormhole Space.

I don't know whether to bow to your knowledge, or laugh at your arrogance. EVE has been around for a billion game years. It has a society and culture. Do you really think DU is capable of such a feat?

On 16.10.2017 at 9:33 PM, blazemonger said:

Trolls, griefers and tears/salt miners are generally just lone players with nothing better to do.. Best remedy is to approach them lighthearted or ignore them.. The latter will in fact 'hurt' them more as hey are after your response/comments in local.. Ignore them and they go away quickly..

Griefers are best handled by beating  them at their own game.. When you run event sites in Highsec in EVE and someone comes in to steal the loot, lock them up and shoot them with fireworks.. Several things can and will happen, including them mistaken it for aggression and shoot back, only to get concorded (great show when that happens, usually reverse tears..) or they may get he joke and play along 'OK OK.. I give up here is the loot' ..  Both have happened to me and it is just in good fun mostly..

Trolls will always be around and are best just left alone and ignored.. all they want is attention so don't give it to them..

i'm one of these stealers. I'm doing it for loot only, not only in highsec. I fit PvP ship and flying in region for searching anomalies and DED Complexes. If people try to steal my loot, i using disruptor and killing him, getting more loot from hit and from site. And always try to steal other loot or expedition on anomalies. Peoples abuse me in chat, but i don't care. I love this game for freedom of compentitive gameplay.

Sometimes i'm flying with my friends in lowsec for searching DED, at the same time we always try to catch someone to kill. It's very fun and give us much emotions.

5 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

I don't know whether to bow to your knowledge, or laugh at your arrogance. EVE has been around for a billion game years. It has a society and culture. Do you really think DU is capable of such a feat?

Of course it is "capable" of such a feat !

Any game that can retain players is capable of building communities. Games with high player "churn" will struggle to do that, though. Transient players don't band together and tackle long-term projects, or maintain them. "Flash mobs" don't build cities and raise families...

Du will not do it overnight, of course, no game does. The culture of the game takes time to establish. It probably also needs a certain threshold population of long-term players to provide continuity.

6 hours ago, Captain Jack said:

Well, like it or not, the people who come from EVE will carry that level of culture into DU. It's efficient, it's proven to work and it's for the best.

Your alliance or coalition is above anyone else. That's essentially no different than being fan of a sports team over another, or being an XBOX Peasant fighting with a PS4 peasant over who's less of a peasant.

EVE's players didn't invent tribalist behavior. 

Neither did they invent xenophobia.

56 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Well, like it or not, the people who come from EVE will carry that level of culture into DU. It's efficient, it's proven to work and it's for the best.

Your alliance or coalition is above anyone else. That's essentially no different than being fan of a sports team over another, or being an XBOX Peasant fighting with a PS4 peasant over who's less of a peasant.

EVE's players didn't invent tribalist behavior. 

Neither did they invent xenophobia.

That are, again good points. While I only played EvE briefly and don't like some of the terms or mindsets (or let's say, I never played it enough to really get into and thus used to them, nor some of the advanced mechanics), you have to take some things for what they are:

Universal.

I'm certain DU will establish its own 'culture' and terms while those who might try to copy over hard EvE terms might get odd looks if those terms can't be applied that well, but in the end some things are simply universal.

Simply change the terms, same principle however. And group-think will be a thing in a game where you can potentially lose your complete in-game wealth and thus existence, kinda. Property binds you and here you can lose it all so you'll likely, eventually, seek safety in group affiliation and / or larger numbers.

DayZ is another good example on a different scale I like to think. You could possibly open up a social study about the behavior of people who may or may not lose everything due to trying to interact with strangers. It's why there always was a certain KOS mentality among some people.

"Oh no, another person / group? They could try to overcome us, steal from us, kill us! Better be the first ones to shoot!" - even though someone was just looking for something else or passing through the area. Just because someone could be a threat makes them a relative or definite threat in the eyes of some. "And if you're not with us..."

Let's wait and see, but if DU doesn't fail and reaches a stable working "main release" at one point, as intended and advertised, then we get to see many interesting things in the community and in the behavior of players. You'll just have to wait for many "iconic" forum threads and reddit posts about it.

I've played EVE enough to understand the appeal of it. Though I would never call myself an expert player.

If it makes a difference for some people reading, I do not want EVE.2. I actually hope that because of the multi facet gameplay DU will offer that it won't devolve into a dystopia. 

Everything in DU is build around the concept of rebuilding civilization. Though that includes some pew pew. 

2 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

I've played EVE enough to understand the appeal of it. Though I would never call myself an expert player.

If it makes a difference for some people reading, I do not want EVE.2. I actually hope that because of the multi facet gameplay DU will offer that it won't devolve into a dystopia. 

Everything in DU is build around the concept of rebuilding civilization. Though that includes some pew pew. 

The misconception of "EVE Is a dystopia, where space pirates rob you off your stuff" is a myth.

That only happens onj the borders, youi know... where skirmishes happen on a daily basis.

Also, civilisation involves society and societies only persist if they devour other societies. And tha'ts no exception in EVE andx it won't be an exception in DU.

I personally don't want EVE 2.0 as of its terrible mechanics, like Local Chat, PVE-grinding, terrible and cheap stealth mechanics, no room for thieves and heist gameplay (aside from ESS heists, which I won't even go into here). Sure, DU is Avatar first, ship is just a m oving cosntruct. You can LIVE in a ship, like being part of a freighter corporation and like working for someone else and being paid as a crew-hand. That's something you can't do in EVE.

Point is, in EVE, interrupting enemy trade is essential in winning a war. That involves hiring mercenaries, who have to do shadey shit so you won't alert the enemy of your intentions. And that WILL happen in DU. People WILL grief people for no other reason that "hey, I got a cotnract to fulfill, nothing personal mate". 

So no, anyone who hopes "DU will not be like EVE", they are fooling themselves. NBSI in EVE exists for that reason. The "neutral" person showing up on local chat, that person might actually be a scout for a mercenary group. for all you know, that person is scouting for a bomber that will open up a mini wormhole and bridge an entire super-capital fleet.  And in DU it won't be any different. In fact, it will be worst.

If a person sneaks into your territory with a "neutrla" freighter's crew, and then they deploy a probe WITHIN your territory after bypassign your stargates, then you'll realise why NBSI is not enough.

DU will reach new heights of palyer meta-game. That will involve border control checkingh your ship for any people on board. for all you know, a freighter could be carrying a death squad ready to cause havoc within your trading space station. Yes, turns out Black Ops IS a trerrifying thing to prospect over. What? You guys think you'll be left to run your trading joint unopposesed or sabotaged? You think REAL LIFE mob tactics won't be used? You think people won't send mercenaries to just cause trouble in your area to give you a bad name and thus cut down on your traffic?

If you people were never taught of "Sranger Danger", you'll have a bad time running a group in DU.

20 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Also, civilisation involves society and societies only persist if they devour other societies. And tha'ts no exception in EVE andx it won't be an exception in DU.

I personally don't want EVE 2.0 as of its terrible mechanics, like Local Chat, PVE-grinding, terrible and cheap stealth mechanics, no room for thieves and heist gameplay (aside from ESS heists, which I won't even go into here). 

The dystopia wasn't necessarily aimed at EVE. :) 

It was more aimed at the reputation a FFA sandbox usually gets. Deserved or not. 

And when I say I don't want EVE.2. I mostly mean I don't want DU to be as toxic as EVE can be. Keep what's good, improve on the bad. 

I just don't want people to associate DU with visions of terror. Freedom in gameplay sure, but community building comes first for me. Competition is a great tool and there is a safe zone to chill and socialise. 

Will you get killed? Yes. 

Might be outsmarted in a trade deal? Probably. 

Occasionally loosing some progress? Most likely. 

That's the nature of the game. 

I don't think we disagree on that. 

47 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

So no, anyone who hopes "DU will not be like EVE", they are fooling themselves. NBSI in EVE exists for that reason. The "neutral" person showing up on local chat, that person might actually be a scout for a mercenary group. for all you know, that person is scouting for a bomber that will open up a mini wormhole and bridge an entire super-capital fleet.  And in DU it won't be any different. In fact, it will be worst.

You sound like a traumatized warchild. Funny how you can know from a start on a forum who's gonna represent one of most aggressive and conflict-driven playstyle.

8 minutes ago, Falstaf said:

The dystopia wasn't necessarily aimed at EVE. :) 

It was more aimed at the reputation a FFA sandbox usually gets. Deserved or not. 

And when I say I don't want EVE.2. I mostly mean I don't want DU to be as toxic as EVE can be. Keep what's good, improve on the bad. 

I just don't want people to associate DU with visions of terror. Freedom in gameplay sure, but community building comes first for me. Competition is a great tool and there is a safe zone to chill and socialise. 

Will you get killed? Yes. 

Might be outsmarted in a trade deal? Probably. 

Occasionally loosing some progress? Most likely. 

That's the nature of the game. 

I don't think we disagree on that. 

Thing is, terms like "toxic" are subjective. One side's hero is the other side's villain.

Point is, "civilisation" involves armies. "Terror" only comes when said "civilisations" do nothing to stop it. NBSI is the answer to that. Your people back at the center of your faction don't have to worry doing PVE or mining ,cause these people are safe cause of borders being KEPT safe. If people fail to understand "you can't enter here cause you are not part of our faction" these people need a good reminder by repeatedly being griefed on not trespassing.

Also, the EVE Providence fella above failed to mention that Providence is NRDS cause NRDS means "we are only careing for people who are hostile to us", cause Providence is a neutral ground due to the topology - it's a space crossroads of star gates.

Will those places exist in DU? Yes, they will exist - and like Providence, they will be a constant easy prey for pirates.

Just now, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Thing is, terms like "toxic" are subjective. One side's hero is the other side's villain.

Point is, "civilisation" involves armies. "Terror" only comes when said "civilisations" do nothing to stop it. 

Quite right Twerk. 

Toxic might not be the best choice of words. It is subjective as you say. Let me try to rephrase that as, I want DU to be welcoming to new people. 

I admit it's not as easy as calling a game toxic and be done with it. An example, EVE is also known for doing a lot for charity, yet that doesn't seem to influence people's opinion of the community. And that's a shame. 

In the end the organizations will have to be smart enough to back up their claims. Lucky for us, you can always relocate if you don't like your area or planet.:P