Gravity Plating

CoreVamore

Spaceships naturally have no gravity (well unless spinning or accelerating). I'm not in the pre - alpha to know how this is being handled in any ship that a person is not sitting in, i.e. big enough to walk around in.

So I'm proposing gravity plating (maybe as a technology) that a builder places on any surface designed to be the 'ground' within the space vehicle. This will allow walking within an open area of a ship, as well as vertical 'transport tubes', which would be lined on all sides with gravity plating to create zero gravity within the tube.

It may also help the dev team in linking avatars within a ship - last thing anyone wants is a ship to accelerate leaving all the non seated avatars floating in space.... or worse.... crushed against a bulkhead o.O

Anyway, thats my 2c, hope Im not suggesting something that has already been suggested lol

Cheers

CoreVamore

From my point of view that is not much needed for small scale ships or constructs if you have possibility to move with jet-pack (I believe there is smth like it in the game). 

For bigger creations it should not be kind of special surface but more like a module that generates gravity inside and probably on outer construct surface.

As for non seated avatars floating in space - this should be not controlled by some safety system, but by the people themselves. I believe no-one wants to travel with some intruders attached to the ship without possibility to leave them behind. 

I’m thinking that what if instead of making artificial gravity a big thing, and making it waste a bunch of energy for your ship, what of since your ship will needs a life. be Magnetic, you have magnetic shoes. Then you could walk on the ship without having to worry about running out of gravity by using plates. 

I think there will be an easier way to have gravity on the ship. Like just the alignment of the core unit of a bigger size. However, they already have a system for gravity. Maybe it will become more complex after release.

(Remember the video is 1 year old and it's would be a "static core unit"[I think... I don't know how it's built])

I don't know either if artificial gravity has been idea'ed before - but in principle I like the option to manipulate gravity. My first reaction was similar to that of Miamato - to have gravity generators for which we could configure the size, strength and shape of the generated field. But I guess if one can connect plating to a DPU to define the height of the field effect, plating should work too. It's just that a voxel, meaning the plating that can span/fill a certain area, would act like an element in that case - my guess would be that this would imply some difficulties, as (as far as I know) they're using voxels purely for shape and only elements to provide functionality.

Nonetheless, I like the idea of defining my own gravity fields. Have a like :)

By the way: have you seen the video where JC comments on running around on the station? Maybe it's just a placeholder mechanic for this station, or the gravity from the planet, but walking around a station implies artificial gravity. You never know with pre-alpha footage, but I think we'll have "some kind" of artificial gravity, because their own control room is built in a way that just looks like it.

Without further ado, here's the video:

[edit] as it has just been linked, I'll just paste the link now, not embed the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPmVdMU434[/edit]

And you can see people running around in that control room in the Dual Universe Pre-Alpha Teaser 2017. Of course, nothing of this is final - but if they had the vision to let people float around on space stations, I guess they would incorporate it into the demonstration videos. Just wildfire guessing, as always. Maybe for a start they will just define "up and down" for each construct and have every avatar in proximity linked to that.

/edit/ps

Here are some blog posts that mention gravity:

Not much tho - use [Ctrl]+[F] to quickly find the place. The last one even mentiones anti-gravity technology - their solution to the problem of players constructing with "real materials" and "real masses" while avoiding to run a billion times between storage and construction site in order to carry all the material there.