Require a Declaration of War to Attack a TU

wizardoftrash

Sometimes I have the feeling that I have read something about the timer problems during a fight in the past.

a0 V2.jpg

@Vorengard a bit crass, but well put!

Another point of concern then boils down to what you can do by burying things. So far one of the planned functions of a TU is to regulate who has the rights to mine or edit voxels on a territory unit. What then prevents an org from literally burying their TU along with the power components needed to keep it running? The attacking player would have no way to reach the TU to re-claim the tile, no way to destroy it, and no way to override permissions because they can't dig or edit voxels, and its indestructable dirt in-between them and their goal.

One possibly glimmering part of my suggestiont that could still be useful, even if it has no impact on whether or not you can damage structures, would be some kind of module that can disable some of the protections of a TU even temporally. Doing so would allow the attacking player to dig up whatever is buried on the tile.

If NQ decides to stick with the "the only way to take a tile is from an adjacent tile" idea which is a really neat one, then having a city surrounded by buried TU's would guarantee that it could never be conquered.

On 2017-10-08 at 8:23 AM, Lethys said:

Point is: why declare war at all? For political reasons - ok.

But if you want to attack - you attack. The protection bubble will save your constructs anyway and you have 2days time to organize a defense.

I just don't see what magical system hinders people to just go there and attack people.

Except for a police force....by players

This. Why more pre-requisites for fighting than whats already there (ie Territory fights)? Sounds like limiting rather than letting the player driven element stay true

5 hours ago, wizardoftrash said:

Another point of concern then boils down to what you can do by burying things. So far one of the planned functions of a TU is to regulate who has the rights to mine or edit voxels on a territory unit. What then prevents an org from literally burying their TU along with the power components needed to keep it running? The attacking player would have no way to reach the TU to re-claim the tile, no way to destroy it, and no way to override permissions because they can't dig or edit voxels, and its indestructable dirt in-between them and their goal.

One possibly glimmering part of my suggestiont that could still be useful, even if it has no impact on whether or not you can damage structures, would be some kind of module that can disable some of the protections of a TU even temporally. Doing so would allow the attacking player to dig up whatever is buried on the tile.

If NQ decides to stick with the "the only way to take a tile is from an adjacent tile" idea which is a really neat one, then having a city surrounded by buried TU's would guarantee that it could never be conquered.

Yeah, that's clearly the way NQ wants to go. They clearly want unbalanced, broken, unfun, boring and fucking stupid mechanics. Not

If you really think that NQ will introduce invulnerable tcus then this debate is over. No use in talking to you, as you clearly think that only you got it right and nq can't or won't think of the most obvious implications. 

15 hours ago, wizardoftrash said:

A simple way to counter this possibility is to do as the Beam in Minecraft: The TCU must in the open air for work.

But as Lethys says, NQ will ensure that the TCU can not become invulnerable.

AFAIK, the TCU will "enforce" the RDMS rules for a given territory hex. We also know that the hex borders exist all the way from the surface to the core of the planet.

If the RDMS rules deny mining rights in a hex, does that imply that the entire underground area of the hex becomes effectively impenetrable, unless you enter it via an existing doorway/tunnel ?

1 hour ago, NanoDot said:

AFAIK, the TCU will "enforce" the RDMS rules for a given territory hex. We also know that the hex borders exist all the way from the surface to the core of the planet.

If the RDMS rules deny mining rights in a hex, does that imply that the entire underground area of the hex becomes effectively impenetrable, unless you enter it via an existing doorway/tunnel ?

Yes, hence why there either needs to be a way to bypass it, or restrictions on where the TU can go.

3 hours ago, wizardoftrash said:

Yes, hence why there either needs to be a way to bypass it, or restrictions on where the TU can go.

Unless that interpretation of how the TCU works is actually wrong ?

Perhaps it's possible to violate the TCU rules, but that automatically flags you as a "criminal" in that territory, which means all defenses will automatically engage you.

What if the TCU also has a rule as to who may enter a given hex ? If the game enforces those rules (i.e. invisible barrier along the edge of the hex), how can you ever attack the TCU ?

14 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

Unless that interpretation of how the TCU works is actually wrong ?

Perhaps it's possible to violate the TCU rules, but that automatically flags you as a "criminal" in that territory, which means all defenses will automatically engage you.

What if the TCU also has a rule as to who may enter a given hex ? If the game enforces those rules (i.e. invisible barrier along the edge of the hex), how can you ever attack the TCU ?

Iirc they mentioned this somewhere. You can always enter a tile with blues tcu, but not with a protection bubble