Force field/ray connectors

Miamato

As DU resources would be quite physical thing that takes some volume and has mass, on large scale production complexes we would need to transport a lot of materials from one point to another. 

So I guess it's not fun to use your character inventory to transfer large amount of resources from one cargo box to another, as well as it's not realistic if you have some invisible transfer system that allows you to load ship from what is stored in your base. That is why idea is to add several possibilities for transferring static non-vehicle objects by force ray. 

The idea is to create 2 types of modules - consumer and provider type. Provider is a module that generates and controls vertical force ray, depending on it's level and size the ray may be of different max length and power (power will determine how much mass can be picked up or held). Consumer module will accept force ray and allow cargo to be picked up and moved by the ray. Consumer may be both special cargo box/fuel tank/ammo box or any other type of storage that exists in the game, or a separate module attached to storage item. So loading your ship looks like you  stay close to storage box, connect the box by force ray to your ship and slowly move it up. Moving forward if in DU it would be possible to make sliding platforms - we can build smth similar to industrial cranes.

Abuses: actually to prevent abuses and some drop-ship creation, this mechanic may be limited only for structures/ships/players that are not in aggression state and limit what can be picked up only to storage item type. 

What do you think about it guys? 

That would be cool, but wouldn’t it create a new way to steal stuff from other people? I mean, you could just beam up someone else’s materials, and they don’t even have time to stop it. It could be in space, and someone just hooks it up

1 hour ago, Primary said:

That would be cool, but wouldn’t it create a new way to steal stuff from other people? I mean, you could just beam up someone else’s materials, and they don’t even have time to stop it. It could be in space, and someone just hooks it up

Good point, but I believe to prevent this you just need to keep your materials in closed hangars or under protection. I believe this is how things would be stored even without this technology. Probably for extra safety we may configure both consumer and provider module to work with passwords. If both modules are configured with the same password - you can initiate beam transfer, if passwords differ - nothing happens. 

If you have played space engineers, you would have seen how connectors work. You put them together and they allow item transfer. Well, we could use something similar, though a bit different.

Say we have a nanite connector. It's like a connector, but it has a range of, say, 5m. If you have a pair of nanite connectors within 5m, then they would be able to transfer items between themselves. Using LUA, we could assign an input inventory and an output inventory for that connector, so anything in the input would be transferred over when active and the output will grab any items that are deposited into the connector. This is of course providing that there is enough space, otherwise items will not be transferred. We could also have players interact with them, giving them the ability to deposit items into the output cargo of the connector.

I would like to have something along these lines. Or perhaps some sort of graphic display to connect things. like in starmade your items just magically teleport to what they are connected to. I'd like something more like tekkit, where you build pipes to connect things. or possibly a robotic arm that plays an animation and lets items move in all storage units nearby, kind of like factorio. something that explains why the items are moving without being overly complicated to deploy and use