Data send outside the game

Marachirus

This question came to my mind when I saw that many organisations created their own website page and discord server with bots linked to our account on DU website.

Will it be possible to send information outside the game with Lua language or Html css ones. For exmple when someone activate a button it could send a message to a particular discord server. 

Or reverse, a certain action on a server could lead to a message in the game.

However I know there will be terrible security issues in this case. But I wanted to know if something similar would exist.

I've wondered about this myself. A good example - could I communicate between an external database (such as one of users for an org website) and the game's LUA? Validating users this way would certainly be helpful. It would also be great for another project idea I have - not required, but would make things much, much easier.

Read this comment thread on Twitter to get a better picture of why this will probably not happen:

I would love for this to be a feature, but the last time I brought this topic up people shot it down and seemed to not really care about not having this feature despite all of the things it would allow us to do. 

Personally wouldn't affect me, but I could see why it would be a useful tool for larger organizations.  However, there would probably have to be some severe restrictions.  At least on bringing external traffic and sources in.

Face of Mankind had a similar feature, and it was abused heavily until it was removed.  And that was simply linking a website to a terminal so you could access it in game.  Imagine the abuse that could occur when you add in unrestricted scripting.

I'd say most of us are at a point where it isn't a problem, but when you get thousands... millions... of players, it can't be ignored.

The answer (as previously mentioned) is likely no.

Although I admit, it would be interesting to allow for "some" connections. My expectation is that they might allow some specific data to be transferred through API (maybe things like currently online members, org announcements, etc) but it would be very restrictive and only what NQ deems appropriate for an API.

So if there's no connection to external data and scripts only run when a player is in range (meaning they stop running when nobody is in range), is it simply not possible to store data using the LUA scripting? Because that greatly changes the usefulness of the scripts, if there is no way to store any data other than when the script is running. Unless I'm missing something somewhere..  which is entirely possible.

2 hours ago, TheNudeNerd said:

Kinda hard to build an api without having anything to interact with.

Well you see, that's where you are wrong, we have a perfectly working community page. In theory, with that you could build an api, but no success yet.

6 minutes ago, BliitzTheFox said:

Well you see, that's where you are wrong, we have a perfectly working community page. In theory, with that you could build an api, but no success yet.

You're right. But I'm looking for a bit more functionality than "they have an account on the DU page" or "they belong to this organization". Which is the only thing you can really check right now. I'm looking more for an API that actually interacts with data ingame, not what's on the community page. I suppose my example gave that impression though, so my bad.

5 hours ago, TheNudeNerd said:

You're right. But I'm looking for a bit more functionality than "they have an account on the DU page" or "they belong to this organization". Which is the only thing you can really check right now. I'm looking more for an API that actually interacts with data ingame, not what's on the community page. I suppose my example gave that impression though, so my bad.

I'm sure the community will come up with something, but this is all further down the line, lets wait until we have more information on economy implementation before we touch any of that.