A Question About Currency

Davis

7 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Wouldn't the economy function alright if the ratio of number of people in the economy to the amount of money in the economy stays equal so the only cash injection done is starting cash from new players?

Yes but that would cause a lot of new accounts just for the starting cash. And no other way of getting it.

2 hours ago, Eternal said:

This Gold-to-Quanta-exchange will be fixed in rate and will never ever change. What will dictate the value of Quanta, is supply of Gold in the universe, how long it took to farm, over Item(commodity) availability and rarity, and Supply vs Demand of Item.

If they really don't wanna give us NPCs, then make this "Quanta" a material(not paper) and is mineable, so it can be that collateral. It's the same-thing!

that's my suggestion. Again, don't stick to gold-material, be creative(I'm using gold as an example only). 

DACs won't work that way, and I don't think it should.  If I understand correctly you want to literally inject currency into the universe through the use of DACs.  I personally think that's a bad idea.

DACs should solely be traded between players (after purchase).  Or consumed of course.

There is no mention of DAC here. The gold(or whatever collateral) is a concept I propose and made-up. It's not a DAC. 

DAC is a consumable, as I already mentioned.

Question is; where is the currency (Quanta) gonna come from?

What I propose, is to inject currency through collateral. Not DAC. Where is that collateral gonna come from? Mining ofcourse, like how we mine Gold in real-life and use them as collateral for currency.

You will trade those gold (the collateral) for Currency through NPC. And vuala, money is printed and it was backed with a collateral.

That's my proposal, nothing to do with DAC.

Its not that simple though in an mmo. See technetium cartel in eve as it was. 

I'm against any mechanics that favor the blob.

Ppl will band together, take all the gold deposites and will control the whole quanta business - no thanks, had that in eve and it didn't turn out well

It has been said by NQ that they have no intention to allow the players to create currency. And that's a very good decision in my opinion. You can always fall back on bartering if you have no currency. 

If anyone played Guild Wars(1), it sounds similar to what Arenanet tried. You have a few npc's that buy and sell a set number of items. According to the players buying or selling these npc's regulate the price per item. Or stop buying and selling completely. A formula based on supply and demand regulated the price and availability. 

If iron ore sells for a 100, people will sell iron ore to the npc's until some number is reached, at that point the npc's stops buying or drastically lower the price to reach some kind of balance. 

5 hours ago, Eternal said:

Question is; where does Quanta come from if we don't have NPCs or Monsters that will drop them?

NQ will generate buy orders on the market which will buy resources from players. That will inject Quanta into the game and remove resources.

The plan is that when NQ feel there's "enough" money in the game, they will stop generating the buy orders, which will effectively cap the money supply, because there will be no other way to generate "new" money in the game. The theory is that capping the money supply will limit inflation.

However, the money in circulation will slowly start decreasing once the supply is capped. Players inevitably leave the game, which also removes their Quanta from circulation. So NQ will have to resume placement of their buy orders from time to time, to "top-up" the amount of active Quanta in the game world.

The way I see it is that travel needs fuel/energy, and fuel/energy can be created from mined resources. Why not directly trade that? It is an item that can be gained by spending labor (time) and is constantly consumed, and can be controlled by DU, if necessary, by adjusting the abundancy parameters.

Introducing an artificial fiat currency will just make everything complicated.