Newtonian Physics. blender 3d model Import

XRacerX

I come from a game called Kerbal Space Program and also Orbiter space flight simulator. And as the title suggests I was wondering if this game will be based on Newtonian physics? Can I import a ship I make in blender then cut up into pieces such as Cockpit,wings,engines,heat shield,etc and import it into game? Also Im not really a sci-fi guy but I am more of a modern'ish future'ish kind of guy. Can I put a Saturn V rocket and launch it and ride in it? Can I launch a space shuttle? Could I launch a Falcon heavy and simulate going to Mars? Will I be able to create our Real Life solar system to explore? Will there be re-entry heating effects? And if any of these answers is "Yes" how soon in the development process can we expect to see the changes? Thank you for answering my questions in advance

7 hours ago, XRacerX said:

Will I be able to create our Real Life solar system to explore

This game is MMO and you won't be able to create solar systems or planets on your own, they would be procedure-generated. So in this case you will be able to explore only. You are able to change planet appearance by mining and building things on it, but from what I saw in devblogs and forums - planets would be really gigantic and it can take too much time to recreate landscapes from real life on them. 

As for building stuff ingame - I believe you will be able to recreate real space rockets and adjust behavior of engines to be more similar to what we have in real life with lua scripts. 

And as the title suggests I was wondering if this game will be based on Newtonian physics?

Yes to a certain extend. Planets will have different gravities, different atmosphere densites, you can put space station in orbit, reaching escape velocity will be different according to the celestial body.... but devs said very often that water mechanics is difficult in a game made of voxel, so water mechanics will be kept simple. So everything won't be perfectly matching real life physics.

Can I import a ship I make in blender then cut up into pieces such as Cockpit,wings,engines,heat shield,etc and import it into game? 

No import from third-party software are planned at the moment.

Can I put a Saturn V rocket and launch it and ride in it? Can I launch a space shuttle? Could I launch a Falcon heavy and simulate going to Mars? Will I be able to create our Real Life solar system to explore? Will there be re-entry heating effects? 

This game will be released with few planets and this number will increase over the time by procedural generation. You will be able to create static buildings (house, industrial compounds, cities on planets, asteroids, moons...) and mobile construct (space ships, hovercraft...). Big space ships will be able to carry other smaller ships. So, basically, yes, you should be able to launch rockets that will put in orbit a space station... You can modify planets, asteroids, moons because they are all made of voxels; but it will take times (a lot of times: 

Now there is a visual effect when entering in atmosphere, I'm not sure that materials are heated, maybe in future.

You should have a look on the official youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/dualthegame/videos and the official wiki:  https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Dual_Universe_Wiki for more information. The wiki collect official info from devblogs, dev's interviews....

Final release is aimed for end of 2018, with several versions of pre-alpha, alpha and beta.

19 hours ago, XRacerX said:

And as the title suggests I was wondering if this game will be based on Newtonian physics

They say the best DU players have read Newton's Principia :lol:.

newton-principia.jpg

I guess i should have been clearer. I should have asked if "Orbital mechanics" was to be implemented. I would like to see orbital data on MFD screens and be able to design those screens and script them also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_mechanics

PD3OgL1.jpg

As you can see here the Multi function displays in KSP. Displaying different data such as orbital data, vessel camera views, ship status, heading, attitude, fuel, speed in m/s, scanner data of planets (useful when looking for natural resources such as ore, landing areas ( topography ), water etc etc. To me this is important for the immersion factor. No "space" type games mmo have this. Space is hard to achieve IRL and IMO it should feel this way in game not just "run and gun" mixed with minecraft and world of warcraft and a "magic" space ship that does everything for you because it is so advanced and futuristic and no flight planning or real thinking is required to fly it. To me that is so boring. THEY ALL DO THAT and it drives me crazy. I want to do real life stuff and I dont mind near future 100-200 years but it has to feel real and believable. I want to be able to interact inside the ship cockpit. Or switch seats. Or walk around inside a big ship or space station like goto my own living quarters,goto bridge, lounge, interact with computer screens etc etc. There is no sound in space unless it is inside the ship itself. I bought the game space engineers on steam i played it about hour and havent played it since. I need realism. Will this game get close to this at all? 

15 minutes ago, XRacerX said:

As you can see here the Multi function displays in KSP. Displaying different data such as orbital data, vessel camera views, ship status, heading, attitude, fuel, speed in m/s, scanner data of planets (useful when looking for natural resources such as ore, landing areas ( topography ), water etc etc. To me this is important for the immersion factor. No "space" type games mmo have this. 

After reaching a certain altitude you can achieve "orbit" status, but it's not as complex as say a game like Hellion or KSP. However, in space, if you thrust forwards your momentum will keep you moving even if you cut the engines. So if you're trying to park in orbit somewhere, you either need to find a sweet spot to continue moving around a planet without risk of falling back into the atmosphere, or you will have to park your vessel in orbit and apply momentum in the opposite direction to stop. (I know I'm doing a terrible job explaining it)

It all sounds really easy, but in practice (from my experience playing at PAX), it will take some trial and error before you're comfortable with it.

As far as making functional displays, most of what you're looking for we know should be possible (heading/fuel/speed/attitude/altitude). You can code up whatever types of screens you'd like in HTML (or LUA) and make displays that look just as cool as the ones in your screenshot (it's just going to take actual work to do it). 

As far as displaying scanner information on screens, I'm not really sure if that will be possible because we haven't been told anything about it. It stands to reason that we would be able to, but that all depends on how much access we have to that information (since scanning, in theory, is something based on a skill level). 

Now for the other part of your question...

Yes, you will be able to get up and walk around and do whatever you want on your ship along with the rest of your crew. Do you want to hang out in the lounge while your ship is traveling for hours on end to its destination? Go right ahead. Do you want to have a fancy star-trek like bridge, or perhaps something out of Battlestar Galactica or Star Wars? There's not much stopping you but time.

Many people don't want to have to work in crews to fly around, so they'll probably end up in single-person ships. Others will want to work together with others, and they can certainly do that. 

Things will require planning, especially during the exploration aspect of the game. Do you have enough fuel? Do you have enough food (when food is a requirement after release...)? Do you have a contingency plan in place if you get attacked along the way? 

It all really depends on what you want out of the game and how you choose to play it, and perhaps who you play it with.

1 minute ago, yamamushi said:

After reaching a certain altitude you can achieve "orbit" status, but it's not as complex as say a game like Hellion or KSP. However, in space, if you thrust forwards your momentum will keep you moving even if you cut the engines. So if you're trying to park in orbit somewhere, you either need to find a sweet spot to continue moving around a planet without risk of falling back into the atmosphere, or you will have to park your vessel in orbit and apply momentum in the opposite direction to stop. (I know I'm doing a terrible job explaining it)

It all sounds really easy, but in practice (from my experience playing at PAX), it will take some trial and error before you're comfortable with it.

As far as making functional displays, most of what you're looking for we know should be possible (heading/fuel/speed/attitude/altitude). You can code up whatever types of screens you'd like in HTML (or LUA) and make displays that look just as cool as the ones in your screenshot (it's just going to take actual work to do it). 

As far as displaying scanner information on screens, I'm not really sure if that will be possible because we haven't been told anything about it. It stands to reason that we would be able to, but that all depends on how much access we have to that information (since scanning, in theory, is something based on a skill level). 

all I got to say to that is "hell yeah!" now we are talking. In KSP I spent more time modding then I did actually playing the game. But there is no better satisfaction (to me anyways) then creating a ship putting it in game and watching it come alive. I think that is why I am drawn to Arma 3 also. The "Freedom factor" you have to do anything you want or fly or drive or pick any weapon you want is great. And if the game didnt have a particular weapon or vehicle, or air vehicle there was a mod for that. And if no mod you make your own. But yeah I like what im hearing so far and thanks for your reply. I mean I can compromise a little as long as it feels real and believable and the freedom is there.

1 minute ago, XRacerX said:

all I got to say to that is "hell yeah!" now we are talking. In KSP I spent more time modding then I did actually playing the game. But there is no better satisfaction (to me anyways) then creating a ship putting it in game and watching it come alive. I think that is why I am drawn to Arma 3 also. The "Freedom factor" you have to do anything you want or fly or drive or pick any weapon you want is great. And if the game didnt have a particular weapon or vehicle, or air vehicle there was a mod for that. And if no mod you make your own. But yeah I like what im hearing so far and thanks for your reply. I mean I can compromise a little as long as it feels real and believable and the freedom is there.

This video might help as well (remembering that this is pre-alpha UI stuff that will be completely customizable):

It's also worth pointing out that many elements can be controlled with LUA through a screen unit. So if you don't want to fly a ship with that kind of interface, I believe you could just create your own panels and run around on a bridge manually flying by using menus and buttons on a screen (but someone will have to program that first).

Here's another demo video of them building a ship that should give you some ideas as well:

I would also like to see low tier engines  be very inefficient so your rockets have to be yuge. On the other hand, since the planets are very small, you wouldn't need very big rockets. Even in KSP, orbital rockets can be fairly small.