Poll: Space Narcotics

yamamushi

Should there be narcotics in Dual Universe?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be narcotics in Dual Universe?

• Yes
    • No

Hmm, wonder if I'm the only person who thought of smuggling players? IE, helping to sneak rival organization members into enemy controlled territory for loads of joy.

On topic: I love the idea of being able to smuggle contraband (vote 21 for narco!). Though, I don't know how I feel about stat modifiers as I would hope this game doesn't turn into a magic potion by another name sort of thing. That being said, I do like the negative consequences ideas being put forth, but do have similar questions (as many before me) about how we might actually make something illegal. No NPC cops to enforce anything, and I can't see why an organization would bother trying to stop players from moving said substances.

Who knows, maybe smuggling in this universe might just entail sales of goods inside another organizations territory, somehow bypassing their tax system? I can see an org. getting really upset about something like that as it would directly cut into their profits. Black market, tax free goods from a rival org/character, lol. Maybe out the back of a ship, behind said rivals market building? In and out, quick sales to screw with the opposition org's economy, lol. 

Hmm, wonder if I'm the only person who thought of smuggling players? IE, helping to sneak rival organization members into enemy controlled territory for loads of joy.

I was thinking about it the other day; having a cargo ship smuggle in tanks and soldiers and unleashing them on an unsuspecting organization. What fun!  :D

You could also smuggle people out of someone's space. Maybe they got trapped there or captured and they want out. Or perhaps they had carried out a sabotage mission and they're now looking for a ride back home. Think of the possibilities! 

Love your Signature btw. Maho Nishizumi FTW!!!  ^_^

I was thinking about it the other day; having a cargo ship smuggle in tanks and soldiers and unleashing them on an unsuspecting organization. What fun!  :D

You could also smuggle people out of someone's space. Maybe they got trapped there or captured and they want out. Or perhaps they had carried out a sabotage mission and they're now looking for a ride back home. Think of the possibilities! 

They're called Death Squads and it's a pretty common occurence in Black Ops. 

Oh that's a good idea too! Since we don't know how the FF (Friend or Foe) systems will work in game, having to hire an outside of org. (yet trusted) smuggler to help you get where you need to be undetected might be a way to get some of those sneaky ins and outs taken care of.

I'm really curious and wonder if stealth tech on your own org. Black Ops ships would be more "stealthy" than say a local "traders" cargo hold? Just thinking along the lines of when a rival org. is made an enemy, how a ship might be red flagged, vs. a neutral cargo ship that would have to be found and scanned per se? Of course, outsourcing a Death Squad mission (as Cpt.Twerkmotor mentioned) would have to have a smuggler of exceptional discretion and reputation. I can imagine some players selling out the "cargo" , and delivering them right to the rival org. for a quick payday, lol. If something like this becomes possible, I would love to play as reputable, gets it done right the first time type smuggler for just such occasions.

Course, moving: nacro, weapons, and "outlawed" goods (as have been mentioned in this and other posts), could be my side job while waiting for those more lucrative "deliveries".  :P

Glad you like the sig! :wub:  

One problem with drug though is that portrayals of drugs in video games is not allowed in some countries, which could become a problem for the devs. This is why is some localizations of EvE online boosters are called vitamins.

Edit: in this case I am of course referring to narcotics and not medicines...

• 4 weeks later...

Not spice. That stuff causes a lot of trouble, encourages monopolies, vendettas, mutants, irritating witches, messiahs and gods who think they are worms, and angry worms who think they are god. Anything but spice. That stuff is bad news. Even when it flows. Shai Hulud prevent this! :)

• 1 year later...

The idea of narcotics might seem like a cool idea initially but it would have a negative impact on the games publicity and player accessibility. I feel that their should be alcohol and other items that mess with the camera perspective and such but that these items should not have any feature that is not purely cosmetic. I don't think it would be good for dual universe to appear that it is promoting some kind of illegal drug.

I know it seems like a fun idea but I would rather DU didn't give the media any kind of big weapon to use against it.

On 01/10/2017 at 6:41 PM, Asmodeus said:

The idea of narcotics might seem like a cool idea initially but it would have a negative impact on the games publicity and player accessibility. I feel that their should be alcohol and other items that mess with the camera perspective and such but that these items should not have any feature that is not purely cosmetic. I don't think it would be good for dual universe to appear that it is promoting some kind of illegal drug.

I know it seems like a fun idea but I would rather DU didn't give the media any kind of big weapon to use against it.

this, plus i hate temporary effect by nature in every games :P
I just hate when someone basically have less skills than you, have the same character/ship than you, but took hundread of pills and go to god mode. I also hate when games start to rely on this kind of consommable.

And i'm not a big fan of narcos, side undiserable effects are not worth :x

But, if it doesn't provide huge boost and is not called "heroin", i can certainly deal with it.  

Make it like real drugs :P

Have it give you +5 strength, but then when it wears off you have -10 strength from the withdrawal for the next 3 days unless you get more.

(EDIT: I just realized ShadowLordAlpha mentioned this earlier XD woops)

If that isn't how it works, it won't really make sense. The only reason EVE Online gets away with it is because there are "customs" npcs that can check you for drugs and fine you, so there's still risk to moving them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2017 at 10:14 AM, Aesir said:

this, plus i hate temporary effect by nature in every games :P
I just hate when someone basically have less skills than you, have the same character/ship than you, but took hundread of pills and go to god mode. I also hate when games start to rely on this kind of consommable.

And i'm not a big fan of narcos, side undiserable effects are not worth :x

But, if it doesn't provide huge boost and is not called "heroin", i can certainly deal with it.  

They take a 100 pills then suffer from a space overdose.

Although why would it be made illegal? It's more likely that a legitimate trade for boosters and enhancers would develop instead.

EDIT: Did not see that this topic has already been addressed earlier.

I think it's a good idea to add drugs, but needs to be done properly. What makes drugs different from simple buffs? They have the downside of being illegal and the upside of being stronger. 

What defines an item illegal in DU? The law is made by the players, so they're the ones who decide what's illegal and what's not. NQ can't simply add an item in game and say "Hey, that item is illegal", because noone would care. 

Why players would want to declare an item illegal? Why it is in the real world? Because it is damaging for the player who uses it AND ALL THE OTHERS. 

What do we need to make an "illegal drug" be possible in the game:

-A strong istantaneous positive buff on the player.

-A strong negative effect that last longer, but acts only after the first effect ended (you can take more drug to interrupt that effect, but the negative effect stacks later = addiction gameplay)

-An effect that damages all the other players, not physically, but economically. Example: you use drugs and the pollution on a certain tile (or group of tiles) increase, giving a debuff to all other players, elements and items in that area. If it's just a couple of people using drugs the pollution is still manageable, but if there's a lot of drug residues in the air it quickly becomes a problem, so much that can cause depopulation because that territory isn't worth living in anymore. A nation, to protect itself, will likely declare that drug illegal to prevent that from happening. Different drugs have different effects and depending on what the nation is specialized in and what's the territory purpose, they may decide to make them all illegal or just a few ( a nation specialized in military activities, may decide to let players use a drug that has as downside " x% reduction on resources mined", while a mining corp would certainly ban that drug in its territories)

I voted no simply because I don't know if it has a place in the game. Will our characters have the survival requirement of food and water? If so I could see maybe narcotics helping with certain things like stamina lasting longer thanks to a few beers but then having the negative kickback of slow recharge once it wears off. etc. But if something has no real use, then dev's shouldn't waste time creating it. Too many games out there give us "junk" with no use, and its just "store fodder" for "money" which to me, is ridiculous. If you spend time creating it dev wise, it should have a use that goes beyond "lol my screen has tons of weird colors 'cuz I'm trip'n on digital shrooms"

I get it and like the idea of a smugglers contraband type element to add to game play but drugs have always ben a dicey subject in games but I think most of the DU community are adult enough that it should not be a problem and maybe it doesn't have to just be a drug you could have something like SPICE !   =)   I still love Dune moves even today !    =)