Poll: Space Narcotics

yamamushi

Should there be narcotics in Dual Universe?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be narcotics in Dual Universe?

• Yes
    • No

Spice, Boosters, Dust, Ganja, Alcohol, Nicotine, whatever you want to call it. I would like to see narcotics make their way into Dual Universe.

Not only do I think it would be necessary to have items that give you status effects and temporary bonuses, but I think it would contribute to the roleplay aspects of smuggling contraband around the universe. 

Besides, how else am I going to be able to live out my dream of being this guy in Dual Universe?

W216uk5.jpg

Or this guy

fTH2clr.jpg

Yes, please.

Narcotics can give certain buffs/debuffs depending on what you want. Crafting, flying, shooting. So many possibilities. And as you said, give the smugglers among us another job. :D

Hell yeah, there needs to be some drugs for pirates to smuggle right?

You should get a buff from them but gradually become addicted to them the more you use them. You would then need a constant supply chain if you want to continue getting high off them. They just need to have enough of a negative influence for governments to want to outlaw them. Otherwise there would be no point in smuggling them...

It's one of the greatest game resources you could put in, the game, that people form strong opinions on but still isnt so offensive to turn people away from the game.

Playing a rogue, selling product, can be a heck of a lot of fun.

Maybe the tags will be specific enough to let you mark any trade deals involving 'contraband' as illegal, and mark those players temporarily or something.

Yeah, I mean, sure, but... why would anyone make it illegal IN the game? They would be like potions or elixirs in any other MMORPG. Why would smugglers need to be in check? 

Best case scenario, a big corporation makes a lot of them, makes money, buys more army than any other faction and pulverises any competition and the game is turned to JUAREZ Universe and we all play as space drug-lords and hustlers.

Organisations? Nah, call them Cartels, turn legates to O.Gs and call the admins "The Feds".

I hope the composer for the music in-game has a really goood sense of hip-hop music, cause Space-Cadillac ain't playin' no techno yo. If it ain't Strait Outta Arkship, it ain't cool yo.

I believe that there should be, it'd be a fairly open illegal trade and that's good, because I am yet to see anyone else suggest an illegal trade.

With drugs/narcotics there can be a whole production chain for raw materials to the actual deal, though I do believe Neo is right, there will be some strong opinions on this.

As for how they should affect you, the good old buff/debuff system would work fine. People would make them then, as if the only thing they do is aesthetic, then there is no point.

Given enough incentive, I believe that could be a bustling trade with scummy meth lab settlements to go with it.

This seems interesting. Though I would prefer to see no terrestrial plant based narcotics at all. (Cocaine or marijuana or mushrooms) Those probably wouldn't have made in on the arkship. Would like to see new space cocaine instead. Synthetic drugs old or new could work too.

As far as buffs go, while there could be some positive effects, there should be more harmful ones also.

This seems interesting. Though I would prefer to see no terrestrial plant based narcotics at all. (Cocaine or marijuana or mushrooms) Those probably wouldn't have made in on the arkship. Would like to see new space cocaine instead. Synthetic drugs old or new could work too.

As far as buffs go, while there could be some positive effects, there should be more harmful ones also.

Yeah, that's the point, to make the a "choice that costs" kind of thing. Morphine is a painkiller, but has some pretty bad side-effects in heavy dosaging on it. A sorta morphine drug can be in the game, making you more tolerable to damage, or injuries if they are an in-game feature, but, after the effect goes away, you get dminishing returns permanently and debufs that stuck and stuck and the removal of said debuffs require an equal amount of "counter-drugs" to be taken, making a player that can't even do things properly due to heavy abuse of substances, have to either pay up for the cure, or keep taking more of the same drug to keep going.

You know, casual "dark side of society" junky things. And of course, the cure costs a lot to be manufactured by CERTAIN PLAYERS, but the drug is still taking dminishing returns, to the point that if you take more than X amount of shots in a row, you die.

This went too dark, too fast :V

I am going to have to agree with CaptainTwerkmotor, why would we outlaw it?  we are the ones that make the laws and rules etc in this game, so a few groups might make it contraband, but there are going to be a lot that don't

Well, I do believe in a Juarez situation happening in-game, especially with corporations who can't accept a "free market". People will try to enforce monopoly with any means necessary. Just like drug-lords do in Mexico and in South America in general.

Kinda amazed at how many people voted no. I mean, this'd give smugglers something to actually smuggle :P

Smugglers won't have a career if they don't understand how smuggling works. Most of the "smugglers" will be simply traders with no clue how economics work.

I read this and thought about red eye from cowboy bebop lol. i agree with gallo in that if they do implement a food mechanic or something similar then a drug one wouldnt be to hard. give a boost while also giving a negative. or treat it how fallout does. you get the bonuses but keep using it and you get addicted.

also opens up possible medical skills on both side of the spectrum. good and bad

I read this and thought about red eye from cowboy bebop lol. i agree with gallo in that if they do implement a food mechanic or something similar then a drug one wouldnt be to hard. give a boost while also giving a negative. or treat it how fallout does. you get the bonuses but keep using it and you get addicted.

also opens up possible medical skills on both side of the spectrum. good and bad

could also do a boost and then crash type so both are not hitting you at the same time

could also do a boost and then crash type so both are not hitting you at the same time

That's what we all think they should do, and every other intake of the drug, the boost last for lessert periods per shot, while the debuff increases per intake. And only the buff can remove the debuff, or a cure can remove the whole mechanism entirely from your body, BUT, if you were to take said drug again, you suffer the debuff on the level it was before the cure.

Yeah, I mean, sure, but... why would anyone make it illegal IN the game? They would be like potions or elixirs in any other MMORPG. Why would smugglers need to be in check? 

Good point, I hadn't quite thought that far. I sometimes forget that game mechanics can't always reflect real life...

Yeah, the ideas on here are what I would think to make this work.  However like mentioned above we make the rules so there would have to be a reason to make it "illegal" to make the smuggling idea feel like smuggling instead of transporting.

Obviously it would have to be a game mechanic of some kind where not only the individual has a temp buff along with some sort of negative but a reason for organizations to care about them as a market.  I imagine it would have to be something possibly simple to put in the game, no reason to spend a couple months on the idea trying to get it into the game. 

Like I've typed more than once, without the rules of the game even being decided or thought of yet it is hard to really discuss details on how this could work.  One thing that comes to mind is I imagine there would be some sort of taxing system for organizations.  Organizations able to get some sort of cut from its members.  Maybe whenever someone uses one of these "drugs" then the cut that goes to the organization from the player gets reduced .... just evaporated from the world of 1's and 0's. 

Ex.  Organization taxes 10%.  A players uses drugs.  Each time a drug is used the player still loses 10% but the organization gets maybe 9.99% ... then 9.98% or whatever each time that players uses a drug.  This effect is time based so if someone goes "clean" then it works back towards full amount. A drug affect on this lasts a month or something then it is over.

It would be in the organization's interest to stop drug usages/smuggling.  Players will have to deal with consequences of using drugs b/c what organization is going to sign up or keep a drug addict? 

Along with the addiction idea as well, this could really open up an area of role play for pirates/smugglers etc. Obviously the buffs would have to be pretty good for this to work. 

I have not read or heard anything about buffs being in the game though let alone maybe players able to create or invent such things.  If so I may need to rethink my plan .... find a remote planet and start cookin' baby!!!

Did anyone who voted no bother to explain their reasoning? 

Not that I can tell, which is mildly frustrating. I'd like to see both sides of the story.

I quite like the system Twerk proposed; Every other use of the drug would bring back diminishing returns. Another game I played did something similar, though the system is kind of broken in that there is no debuff for the drug, making the legal alternative useless since it's buff is less. If it's balanced correctly, and I'm sure it will be, this could be a very useful, and lucrative new market.

I think that all sorts of things will be prone to smuggling, particularly when a group decides to have a monopoly on a certain good in a given territory.

If a particular group wants to control all imports and exports of a given resource, regardless of if it is stat boosters or raw materials, they might otherwise confiscate it from people if they find it in their cargo. Wars might be fought over territory for the right to distribute, not just acquire, a given commodity, and it's not so far fetched considering how often it has happened in the real world over all sorts of things. 

You can imagine a black market opening up for all sorts of things, if it means that you are hiding trades from the owners of a given territory over something they would frown upon. 

I might want to have new players come to my planet, and in return I'm hoping that they will buy from my markets and make me some money. However someone shows up selling all sorts of resources, somewhat negating my investment in paying for a probe to go find that planet in the first place. In response I issue an import ban on certain items, in order to guarantee that I'm making profits from my local production efforts. 

That situation is going to be rarer than the one JC was talking about in this latest interview which I agree with, since I also foresee smuggling involving trade blockades over planets during wars. In that case, you might find yourself netting quite a profit smuggling everything you can think of in and out of an active warzone. 

On the topic of Narcotics... Those kinds of things might play into a skill tree for people who want to craft items with plants, chemicals, etc. Being able to make items that, while aren't necessary, give bonuses for a short period of time to players.

One can imagine being able to craft an implant that increases your skill training speed, similar to how implants in Eve Online work. They might be temporary items that only last for a few days, unless you have the skills to craft higher level or more efficient ones. 

Or for items with negative effects, I'm thinking of a booster that gives you a bonus to a given stat, but while having its own negatives for the user, also has the potential to cause negative effects for the people around you. Something that you would want to apply to your character for the bonus, but the authorities on a station might have some obvious issues with and would want to keep you or anyone else from using or having those items onboard. 

Something that negatively affects (not necessarily physically harms, but perhaps a stat loss?) people around them I think should be detectable by the people around them, or perhaps the mystery is part of the fun in the idea. 

I'm just throwing out ideas here, none of them have to be taken too seriously. 

I don't know how damage will work in game but this could also be added to medicinal type drugs (like painkillers) that could be abused for certain effects but are also highly addictive. So instead just bandaging up a wound you might need to take a painkiller to get rid of a negative damage effect or you could take it before the fight and before you get hurt to stop yourself from flinching in combat or something along those lines.

I don't know how damage will work in game but this could also be added to medicinal type drugs (like painkillers) that could be abused for certain effects but are also highly addictive. So instead just bandaging up a wound you might need to take a painkiller to get rid of a negative damage effect or you could take it before the fight and before you get hurt to stop yourself from flinching in combat or something along those lines.

i think this mechanic might be a bit harder to implement. Unless there is a permanent damage to your health that a med kit or what have you doesn't fix (trying to remember what game it is that grays out a portion of your health bar if you take to much) then you would need a doc but possibly the pain killer temporally gets rid of the gray OR extends your max health

i think this mechanic might be a bit harder to implement. Unless there is a permanent damage to your health that a med kit or what have you doesn't fix (trying to remember what game it is that grays out a portion of your health bar if you take to much) then you would need a doc but possibly the pain killer temporally gets rid of the gray OR extends your max health

Even after you get hurt (I'm more talking major damage) you will be in pain for some time even after your fully healed though this is also a game so the stat drain could only last for x amount of time but if you take a pain killer the debuff goes away for y amount of time and when it wheres off you still have x - y amount of time left on the debuff but for that amount of time you basically had no debuff. I don't think that there should be any permanent damage to characters as its a pain to play with and we also have quantum based respawn though it would give players pause to start wars and a reason to finish them though the characters that participated might be useless after it.