Radio communication

magey3

Would it be possible to have a radio in-game to transmit stuff over specific frequences in a certain range and have other people pick up the signal?

I think it would be a real immersion maker and it would bring a lot of possibilities like Space traffic control at a large spaceport with a lot of traffic would be able to make sure people dont crash in each other.

Given that I do not constantly follow every statement, I'm currently not sure what the official (and then internal) stance on such voice communications is:

People in the community so far would like to have it (for obvious and helpful reasons) but not just few stated they'd rather have NQ work on core mechanics, server tech and other pressing matters first before they should start seriously pondering the implementation of that.

In addition I'm not development nor tech expert in that regard, but at the very least it adds some additional server strain and calculations. How that can be mitigated or compensated or made in such a fashion that it doesn't interfere with stability, I'm not sure. But the more extensive you want it to be (beyond local transmission), the more work you have to put into it.

For example, your spaceport idea requires you to be able to transmit an audio signal to a specific recipient while many others try the same. Obviously just having all people in that area transmit it locally will distort and overload everyone's perception if you were able to hear it all at once, whether actually local or transmitted locally as radio signal. And then, you maybe have to add an appropriate GUI and accompanying mechanics to allow more detailed target selection if there are many players in the area, and so on.

As you can see, your specific scenario already raises at least a few questions about implementation or execution.

I'm all for it. Whether it can be done until or after release, all I hope for that it is technically possible and, if so, that NQ is later willing to implement this. At least a basic local voice comms system that you can scale (set distance within max radius dynamically). This could, if post-release, be paid through the money generated by subs. If nothing else helps, make some sort of "kickstarter thing" for it where people can fund this.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017. 10. 01. at 9:04 AM, Warden said:

Given that I do not constantly follow every statement, I'm currently not sure what the official (and then internal) stance on such voice communications is:

People in the community so far would like to have it (for obvious and helpful reasons) but not just few stated they'd rather have NQ work on core mechanics, server tech and other pressing matters first before they should start seriously pondering the implementation of that.

In addition I'm not development nor tech expert in that regard, but at the very least it adds some additional server strain and calculations. How that can be mitigated or compensated or made in such a fashion that it doesn't interfere with stability, I'm not sure. But the more extensive you want it to be (beyond local transmission), the more work you have to put into it.

For example, your spaceport idea requires you to be able to transmit an audio signal to a specific recipient while many others try the same. Obviously just having all people in that area transmit it locally will distort and overload everyone's perception if you were able to hear it all at once, whether actually local or transmitted locally as radio signal. And then, you maybe have to add an appropriate GUI and accompanying mechanics to allow more detailed target selection if there are many players in the area, and so on.

As you can see, your specific scenario already raises at least a few questions about implementation or execution.

I'm all for it. Whether it can be done until or after release, all I hope for that it is technically possible and, if so, that NQ is later willing to implement this. At least a basic local voice comms system that you can scale (set distance within max radius dynamically). This could, if post-release, be paid through the money generated by subs. If nothing else helps, make some sort of "kickstarter thing" for it where people can fund this.

Well, I agree with you in almost everything but i'm pretty sure if they implement local voice chat that creates almost as much server strain as radio voice chat.

But it's unclear if the idea is talking about text chat radio because if that's the case then it's only like 1-2 man-hours to implement if they already have a text chat system in place.

I'd be content with simply being able to create your own private voice channels for your org or squad. But then imagine if enemies could hack it and listen in? That'd be a bit simpler while still performing the core functions, hehe.

Or public ones too. They could be the news radio (I know I already saw an Alioth Media org somewhere on here).

On 2017. 10. 28. at 2:19 AM, DragonShadow said:

I'd be content with simply being able to create your own private voice channels for your org or squad. But then imagine if enemies could hack it and listen in? That'd be a bit simpler while still performing the core functions, hehe.

Or public ones too. They could be the news radio (I know I already saw an Alioth Media org somewhere on here).

I'm like 100% percent sure that everything you wrote will be in the game in at least a text form but i'm not sure about hacking because if that's a thing organizations or teams will abuse the hell out of third party programs like Discord and Skype.

2 hours ago, gyurka66 said:

I'm like 100% percent sure that everything you wrote will be in the game in at least a text form but i'm not sure about hacking because if that's a thing organizations or teams will abuse the hell out of third party programs like Discord and Skype.

But those can be "hacked", too :P

• 2 years later...

I think, the game needs  a galaxy wide system of emitter / receiver.

create a channel and send to the universe...  same interface like emitter / receiver, but in XS to XL variants with different ranges.

with the backlash - if you know a channel, you can listen to it and talk on the frequency... so ppl need to encrypt... writing ceasar cipher in lua :D

• 3 months later...

Hello,

i watched a YT Video by Phash about Lua Scripting with Emitter and Recievers. I am the oppinion that 100m could just be a joke. 

My imagine looks like

XS 500-1000m

S 10.000m

M 100.000m

L 1.000.000m

Recievers shoult have another Range. it should be possible to recive massiges from a M transmitter on a XS reciever

to communiate with other Spacestations or Planets could Laserantennas be nice

in my imagine you'll use a planetay Communication with Ships. Only a Large emitter and reciever can communicate with orbital Stations. The L Version should have enough mass, so it would be impossible to be placed on ships.

please excuse me for my horroble english, normaly i speek annother language ... i hope much better ???