Recourses in Early Game

Vulcan#1

Okay I have something I'm questioning/concerned about when starting early game and an issue that I saw in Another game Eco that I  Alpha-Beta test for. Recourse management for people who start later than everyone else it's harder to find resources at spawn. I understand that this game is alot larger but there are also Alot more people playing as well. Will finding/mining resources be like Minecraft where when you mine them and they are gone forever or like RuneScape where the recourse will respond after X about of time. The reason I ask is if the resources aren't responded or reintroduced after Time. The Beginning of the game will get harder and harder for New Players To start up if resources aren't  introduced after a while but then again it gives Companies a tool for recruitment to give people a boost.

Resource deposits in DU will not respawn once they are depleted.

The area around the arkship will be stripped of resources fairly quickly, but there was talk of creating new spawn zones on other planets as the game world expands after launch. The current "starter zone" will not always be the only place for new players to spawn.

Remember that DU is immense. At the start we should have about 12 planets, with moons and lots of asteroids. These numbers will expand over the time.

The first planet : Alioth will  have ~100 km radius others will be sometime even bigger. The time to extract all resources of these planets will be long, very very long....

Maybe rare resources will be depleted "quickly" but still it should be quite long. And you can still buy these rare resources on the markets, or ask to your team mates....

Just as a reminder here a calculation from JC:

Awesome ? thank you! It's going to be HUGE then lol Sorry still have No Man's sky mind set a bit where I was told that was supposed to be HUGE. I'm just imagining larger planets than NMS :0 these planets are going to be Giants.

32 minutes ago, John said:

Remember that DU is immense. At the start we should have about 12 planets, with moons and lots of asteroids. These numbers will expand over the time.

The first planet : Alioth will  have ~100 km radius others will be sometime even bigger. The time to extract all resources of these planets will be long, very very long....

Maybe rare resources will be depleted "quickly" but still it should be quite long. And you can still buy these rare resources on the markets, or ask to your team mates....

Just as a reminder here a calculation from JC:

Just a note of caution here...

That quote implies that if only 1% of the planet consists of useable resources, it will still take several years for the resources to be depleted, even with 3000 players digging 8 hours per day 24/7/365. If that is the case, then depleting resource deposits will be far less of an issue than many imagine. Don't forget that the starter system has 12 planets confirmed, with the possibility of even more being added before launch.

I expect things will change somewhat before release...

4 hours ago, John said:

Alioth will  have ~100 km radius

I don't believe that this is correct. Our current data indicates that Alioth has a 60km radius. So slightly smaller than the example provided by JC. However, that's still a massive amount of resources that can be mined. We're not going to be in danger of exhausting them any time soon. 

2 hours ago, Vorengard said:

I don't believe that this is correct. Our current data indicates that Alioth has a 60km radius. So slightly smaller than the example provided by JC. However, that's still a massive amount of resources that can be mined. We're not going to be in danger of exhausting them any time soon. 

Besides, JC's example might have also been assuming that people are doing nothing but removing voxels at the fastest rate possible (basically picking up dirt). Mining for resources however will be much more involved than clicking on funky colored dirt for hours. Scanning will eat some of that time, travelling to where the resources are will take some time, tunneling to those resources, or shaping a mine in such a way that you can fit, or that your cargo vehicle can fit will take time. Transporting those resources when your inventory is full will take time, having them refined will take time.

The accessory activities involved in mining will have a huge impact on how long the starting planet remains a viable place to gather resources. The trick I think will be trying to collect resources outside the safe zone, and navigating around the claims where mining is not permitted due to TU's.

15 hours ago, Vulcan said:

Okay I have something I'm questioning/concerned about when starting early game and an issue that I saw in Another game Eco that I  Alpha-Beta test for. Recourse management for people who start later than everyone else it's harder to find resources at spawn. I understand that this game is alot larger but there are also Alot more people playing as well. Will finding/mining resources be like Minecraft where when you mine them and they are gone forever or like RuneScape where the recourse will respond after X about of time. The reason I ask is if the resources aren't responded or reintroduced after Time. The Beginning of the game will get harder and harder for New Players To start up if resources aren't  introduced after a while but then again it gives Companies a tool for recruitment to give people a boostOnve

Usually, in games like this, the cost of purchasing Items and resources decreases over time. New players may have some issues knowing what to do, but this is where organizations come in. Since most tasks in the game need multiple people to complete players should be able to find a group to join. An example that I have from EVE is one crop that I was a part of, everyone pooled ISK into a pool that paid for new member ships and equipment.

To finish I believe that later adopters to the game will have an easier time getting into the action of the game than the early adopters. Infrastructure will already be set up and organizations will have more resources to finance new players. Even if those new players are getting hand me down and used ships.

• 10 months later...

Could a special warp pad at the base of the arkship, that will teleport you to a random spot on the starting planet, help? I see something similar on some Minecraft servers, an option to send you to some untouched area of the server's map, so you can actually find resources to start out.

Thanks for necroing that post. And No, that's not a good idea. DU is a MMO, a civilization building game. Treat it as such. Get ppl together, help each other and search for resources. You'll eventually find some

Wow I kinda forget about this post. Anyways after reading the replys and playing abit in the alpha group I don't really think recourses being depleted will really be that big of an issue. I am interested in how they deal with rarer resources once the game is officially released and in later game play. Maybe by adding more astroids. I'm really excited to see astroid mining in companies take place. 

• 3 weeks later...

The  fear i have is that if resources not respawning, over time center and starter planets will get exhausted and people will move to mor fare planets, letting with the time empty and dead zones without players since they probably move they HQ

5 hours ago, Freyr_666 said:

The  fear i have is that if resources not respawning, over time center and starter planets will get exhausted and people will move to mor fare planets, letting with the time empty and dead zones without players since they probably move they HQ

Dead zone is 100% sure will appear in any game even if it regeneration resource as the value of resource will determine it. But one thing for sure the starter planet which we call Alioth will become something more like Capital of the world where most top Org place their HQ and main Administration their.