Scanning

borzol

I would like to suggest a module for ships and structures that would be capable of scanning all minerals in hexagon where the module is located. It would be expensive and energy demanding device. It would only show you if mineral is there and not the location. And to make it hard scanning would take 6 hours for example and during the scan all other ships or structures capabilities would be disabled. It could be usefull when you are looking for specific hard to find minerals.

4 hours ago, Vulcan said:

I believe there should also be a scanner of some type to keep track of what alien spieces you have seen. Like a log.

Uuuuhhmmmm there aren't aliens in this game. I think you might have it confused with No Man's Sky??

4 hours ago, borzol said:

I would like to suggest a module for ships and structures that would be capable of scanning all minerals in hexagon where the module is located. It would be expensive and energy demanding device. It would only show you if mineral is there and not the location. And to make it hard scanning would take 6 hours for example and during the scan all other ships or structures capabilities would be disabled. It could be usefull when you are looking for specific hard to find minerals.

Scanning will end up being such a backbone mechanic of the game, that it will end up being an entire skill discipline. To have such an element that can 100% successfully locate everything, a necessary caveat would be that it would only be usable by someone with a maximum or very very high scanning skill, or else it would defeat the purpose of that skill in a way that isn't present for the other skills.

For example, if it did not have a high scanning skill requirement to use, Then an org could simply slap that puppy on all of their ships and never need to recruit anyone with a high scanning, thus making the scanning skill useless. There isn't a way to "buy" your way out of needing the gunnery skill, or a flight skill, or a refining skill, so why should there be a way to bypass the scanning skill?

Given that scanning is such an important feature (and supposedly will be one of the more fun parts of mining), why cut that whole process out by adding an element that does it for you?

6 minutes ago, borzol said:

it woudnt find location and depth where mineral is only if it is in a hexagon or not you would still have to scan the hexagon for it. 

That still seems like a function that player scanning would serve, but if not, it would be a useful implement then.

The way I see it, player scanning would be broken down into 3 stages: Planetary scanning, regional scanning, and local scanning.

At the Planetary level, a player would be using a ship-based long-range scanner or a station/moon/planetary long-range mega-scanner to either detect planets and asteroids in-general, or to detect planets and asteroids with a specific combination of elements. They would be scanning sectors of space for these bodies possibly in a systematic way, or in a more haphazard way while traveling to some specific destination. Space is huge, and with 12 planets in the "starting" galaxy and who knows what in the maner of asteroid clusters, there could be a lot of space to scan.

At the Regional level, you would be scanning groups of hexes for elements. Maybe not quite scanning entire continents at a time, but a systematic survey could give you the composition of a continent. You would do this form orbit also using a ship-board scanner.

At the local level, you would be scanning for resources on whatever hex you are on, and that would give you info on specific location, composition, and potential hazards such as magma pockets.

All 3 of those stages would depend on the scanning skillset over-all, and they might each have a skill tree where you can specialize further (for example you could just go down the road and invest in Scanning 1, Scanning 2, and Scanning 3 which would give you some bonuses and proficiencies at every level. However you could instead go for Scanning 1, and Long-range scanning 1, 2, and 3 instead, especially if there are other surveyors in your org that focus on regional and local scanning).

I was thinking that probes that we will be sending to planets for stargates building will also provide list of resources available - planetary scan, my proposed module - regional scan would provide knowlage that desired mineral is located in hexagon and after that you would start scaning with personal scaner for the actual position of the mineral you want.

4 hours ago, borzol said:

I was thinking that probes that we will be sending to planets for stargates building will also provide list of resources available - planetary scan, my proposed module - regional scan would provide knowlage that desired mineral is located in hexagon and after that you would start scaning with personal scaner for the actual position of the mineral you want.

There could certainly be room for an element like that, I think though that it would need to be tied in some way to the scanning skill, as that's clearly a type of scanner (just as a different kind of gun would be tied to the gunnery skill).

6 hours ago, wizardoftrash said:

Uuuuhhmmmm there aren't aliens in this game. I think you might have it confused with No Man's Sky??

The KS basic goals include "a few alien creatures". So unless NQ decide not to honour all the KS promises, there will be a few "alien" animals on Alioth at launch.

But I doubt that there would be enough of them to justify a scanner and logbook combo...

11 hours ago, borzol said:

I like something like this.

I was thinking more of a low-res scan from space that tells you which tile resources are located in, a mid-res scan telling where it is located in, and high-res scan that allows you to exactly see the ore vains, depending on the skill level, distance, and level of scanner, but it would scan at the same rate, at least for orbital acanning since if you cant scan it in time it just passes under you.

Scanners will be a vital part of DU, because of the size of the game world.

But longer scanner ranges will be tricky, given that the game world will be dynamically assigned to various server clusters based on load in specific areas. How a long-range scanner would technically function in DU is not clear to me. A mining scanner in DU has relatively short range, and will be a "local" query, so the area being scanned will all be hosted on a single server node. But a long-range scan in DU might require communication between several distinct server nodes or clusters.

In DU, a scan of a single busy solar system might involve querying dozens of server nodes.

In EVE it's relatively straightforward, because each server node hosts one or more solar systems, so scan results can be returned very quickly, given that all possible scan results are elements hosted on a single server node.