The shards of a broken memory

Thor Wotansen

I have always loved to draw.  I remember I used to sit for hours in the classroom after school, or under a tree, and draw.  I never drew pictures of people, or of landscapes.  I drew my ideas, the vehicles my young mind imagined sprung fully formed from my head and landed on the pages of my tattered notebook.  It’s funny, I can remember every page of that notebook, the way it felt in my hands, but I can’t remember my mother’s face, or the name of the town I grew up in.  I do remember the day I got the message that I had been selected for the Arkship Program.  I didn’t tell anyone for a week.  When I told…….  when I told her about it she cried; how could she not.  I would have stayed with her, I would have help her as the world tore itself apart and fell into the neutron star.  We would have grown old together then, who knows, we may have even died young, but she begged me to go.  I think I was working on something at the time, I can’t remember.  She said it was important that I go.  I remember finding her the next morning, cold and still in our bed.  I have nothing left to live for.  I have nothing left to die for.

I can still see the ideas running across my mind.  They keep me busy, building this new world.  I am thankful for my shattered memories.  They keep me working to rebuild the life mankind had before.  They help me live on without buckling under the weight of all the pain of the past.  Together in this new world we will make new memories and the old world with all its pain and loss will be forgotten. 

I had a funny dream last night of the last time I was happy, 10,000 years ago.  I can’t remember it, it’s just a feeling at the edge of my mind.  I caught myself turning around to see her smile, but she wasn’t there.  I can’t shake the feeling that I’ll meet her around the corner, or in the elevator.  I am haunted by the most beautiful smile.