Multiple playable species

DocHoliday

Wouldnt it be cool if the player could choose between multiple (human-like) species which live far seperated from each other? I also thought about each species having their own "language" and one must have some special translation skills to understand it. Kinda like ArcheAge has done it.

As I understood the initial idea is about human race that escaped from our own space after some collapse and now should recreate civilization. It seems NQ mentioned there would be no other life at the beginning. 

In any case does not matter what race you are unless it's female elf with big tits or space octopus with endless tentacles :D But this game seems to be about different things.

I think the idea is about the Novark so it won't be possible , the lore is talking about a single ship from many others so what's the interest of having many races if it's a human project about one ship , the lore is talking about it if you want

34 minutes ago, Miamato said:

As I understood the initial idea is about human race that escaped from our own space after some collapse and now should recreate civilization. It seems NQ mentioned there would be no other life at the beginning. 

In any case does not matter what race you are unless it's female elf with big tits or space octopus with endless tentacles :D But this game seems to be about different things.

of course there should be no differenes except for the looks. I just think it would add more variety to the game. I know exactly what this game is about since I follow its development since kickstarter. I really love the ideas they have! But having the Novark doesnt mean that there cant be other species as well.

1 minute ago, Lethys said:

That's exactly what it means. Other ships left earth too, but everything there is are humans

You dont seem to get my point. I know that there wont be any alien species on the ships. But that doesnt mean that there possibly could be other species in the universe. Thats why I suggested that they will be living very far from the arkships.

12 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

of course there should be no differenes except for the looks. I just think it would add more variety to the game. I know exactly what this game is about since I follow its development since kickstarter. I really love the ideas they have! But having the Novark doesnt mean that there cant be other species as well.

For me the difference is that if you implement new non human race, that means it should have it's own technology, as humans and that other guys never met before. So that means you need much effort at least to create similar construction parts with different design specific for the new race. In ideal world if that other race is non-human like, that should use completely different technologies. In case we have not only other player models, but all needed technologies, design, backstory - this will make sense, at least for me. 

Just imagine that several thousands of years one race was traveling to face another space guys and then realize they have all the same vehicles, but just another face. 

1 minute ago, Miamato said:

For me the difference is that if you implement new non human race, that means it should have it's own technology, as humans and that other guys never met before. So that means you need much effort at least to create similar construction parts with different design specific for the new race. In ideal world if that other race is non-human like, that should use completely different technologies. In case we have not only other player models, but all needed technologies, design, backstory - this will make sense, at least for me. 

Just imagine that several thousands of years one race was traveling to face another space guys and then realize they have all the same vehicles, but just another face. 

yes they should have their own tech indeed. So they would have to change the models of elements like thrusters etc. but it should be doable. Im not saying that this should be in the release version of the game but I really would like to see it as a major update some time after release.

Just now, DocHoliday said:

yes they should have their own tech indeed. So they would have to change the models of elements like thrusters etc. but it should be doable. Im not saying that this should be in the release version of the game but I really would like to see it as a major update some time after release.

Agree, it would be pretty cool to have this in post release major updates. It will result with some insane and cool mixes of human vs alien design ships. But at current stage I think better to have one race and everything polished and balanced for it. 

Another side effect of such addon is that you need additional skill tree for that race that will just increase learning curve. Not a huge problem, but again hard to balance. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

..Just no elves or Asari.

lol

2 minutes ago, Miamato said:

Agree, it would be pretty cool to have this in post release major updates. It will result with some insane and cool mixes of human vs alien design ships. But at current stage I think better to have one race and everything polished and balanced for it. 

Another side effect of such addon is that you need additional skill tree for that race that will just increase learning curve. Not a huge problem, but again hard to balance. 

Of course, a polished and balanced release version should be priority number one.

As many people have already stated that doesn't really fit the backstory. And I am having a hard time understanding what good that would do along with the character customization I've heard about in general. Aren't the characters in space-ish suits?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 11:06 AM, Miamato said:

And thus we have our first DLC :) lol.

I actually think it would be cool for DLC that over time, alien races are met, and since you can have multiple characters, you can just create a new species. This I am totally okay with and doesn't break the lore that many have talked about.

On 10/1/2017 at 12:24 PM, Darkarma said:

Maybe if we are talking gene splicing and we generate a new near human species that is and isn't human... then I can see it working. Beyond that, no.

No. I'm very sure NQ has stated that there would not be any genetically altered humans going on the Novark. This was in response to furies. For the life of me though I could not find the reference to this.

You can see though why this makes sense from a lore point of view. Having an impure human genepool would be a problem for making a new human colony. There are too many factors at risk for humanitie's last ditch effort.

I don't think playable alien races would be a good idea for DU.

It would require a huge amount of work, because to do it properly, that alien race would have to have its own unique Elements and crafting recipes, etc.

You can't just slap a new "skin" in the game and call it a "new alien race"...

6 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

I don't think playable alien races would be a good idea for DU.

It would require a huge amount of work, because to do it properly, that alien race would have to have its own unique Elements and crafting recipes, etc.

You can't just slap a new "skin" in the game and call it a "new alien race"...

Agreed. On another note, doing such would also just not... fell right for DU. With the lore set in stone, this would be a botch in the lore that will tear it apart.

It's better to add more technologies than playable races. Just like T3 stuff appeared in EVE - people discovered some hidden space areas, collected artifacts from alien ruins/corpses; a little bit of reverse engineering and refactoring, shaman dances and a piece of magic - you get new shiny blueprints. 

On the other side I don't mind the universe to be empty from other cleaver species, unless they are flying sharks with dragon wings and women breasts.

Fermi paradox is actually helpful to understand that meeting another alive civilization is rather impossible, because they either dead already or not yet developed or they are separated too much by expanding space. 

I personally feel that "other species" should still be kept in the context of humanity.

Laws an morality does not work anymore, we rebuild civilisation. Some people might want to go full cybrog - and it has a catch if yo uthink about it,- while other people go for mutagenics, but paying a price in the process.

but for this to work, the game needs a food system.

Cyborgs get amplified ,but at the cost of requirng a lot more energy to function, tuhs the player that goes cyborg has a far more dire need of energy than a non-cyborg player. They also suffer from E-War that would not affect other players that much. The average human in DU is partially cyborg, so any E-war would affect them partially - a little losss of accuracy, a little motorfunction loss in the form of movement speed impairment. But a Cyborg? good luck with that, E-War would be a tremendous hiderance to Cyborgs, with only their enhancements provbiding partial defeense to E-War. And of coruse, let's keep it traditiona - cyborgs drop all of their augmentantions on death, like they would drop equipment and inventory as loot.

On the other hand, Mutagenics would give birth to mutants. Their schtick would be that they HAVE to eat certain exotic food to keep up tiher metabolsim, food that is normally poisonous to normal humans. So in exchange for XYZ mutation (like more spsed, endurance or agility) the mutants get a very narrowed diet for their choice.

That could create certain spots in the game world for people of each "sub-race" to congregate, creeating a form of "cultural center" for the different races.

But that's just me, I want such chocies to go beyond "cool cyborg eyes".

The biggest problem I see with "playable alien races" in DU is actually related to the fact that everything in DU is player-built.

Your avatar may look like a space octopus, but YOU are still 100% human in RL (well, hopefully...), so when you build constructs in DU, they will tend to reflect your humanity.

In games with non-humanoid races, the game developer can keep a consistent architectural style for a given race, because the devs build all the structures, settlements and ships for that race. Even in games that allow construction, the pre-defined buildings or construction parts (walls, doors, roofs, etc.) available to each race can enforce a consistent "style" for that race.

But in DU, players will build all those things themselves. The chances are good that the average "alien" settlement will end up looking suspiciously like a human settlement. Getting all the players to agree on a certain design aesthetic will be hard enough, and ensuring it is adhered to while building will be almost impossible.

9 hours ago, NanoDot said:

The biggest problem I see with "playable alien races" in DU is actually related to the fact that everything in DU is player-built.

Your avatar may look like a space octopus, but YOU are still 100% human in RL (well, hopefully...), so when you build constructs in DU, they will tend to reflect your humanity.

In games with non-humanoid races, the game developer can keep a consistent architectural style for a given race, because the devs build all the structures, settlements and ships for that race. Even in games that allow construction, the pre-defined buildings or construction parts (walls, doors, roofs, etc.) available to each race can enforce a consistent "style" for that race.

But in DU, players will build all those things themselves. The chances are good that the average "alien" settlement will end up looking suspiciously like a human settlement. Getting all the players to agree on a certain design aesthetic will be hard enough, and ensuring it is adhered to while building will be almost impossible.

Well, lets think of the idea of other races being a huge DLC down the pipeline, not now, not soon, but after the established game has quite a bit of normal "human" content. The developers could then have NPC space pirates, in any race they choose, even alien. Thus we could see "the style" of alien ships through those rogue NPC's. THEN, because Humans have met aliens in the DLC expansion, those aliens may adapt our technology to theirs and vice versa, creation new hybrid ships between the two. Just because you can build any ship, doesn't mean you can't incorporate alien tech or alien looking tech for that matter. Then, because you can have more player races, you can expand the story beyond humans. Granted I agree 100% that the story as is, is humans trying to reach out and populate the galaxy, but to assume that only humans can do it, is laughable, and the fact that we flew a long way just to find "a new home" its very well possible to meet aliens along the line. But like I said, I 100% agree that in the beginning and with patches and early updates, all what is already planned. Alien DLC can come much later as a legit expansions to add more depth to a game that is supposed to have great depth as is. I don't think we should rule anything out in terms of a sci-fi space game. :)

Don't think they are going to add other thing like aliens seeing it would go against NQ view for DU but just to have a little fun and maybe for another sci-fi game I would say 4 iconic alien species would be : Robot alien race, Reptile alien race,  Insect alien race, The Gray or big brain human alien race ! These or 4 types of alien races that have ben widely used in many sci-fi book from the early 1900's to today!  =)