Rails system

Miamato

26 minutes ago, TheAtlasWarrior said:

That sounds like a good idea, I think magnetic rails could also make vehicles hover, increasing the maximum speed that they can travel at, this could facilitate the transport of a lot of heavy cargo.

Actually trains may be faster on long distances, but to make them really interesting for people and large industry corps, they should have some advantages. Currently I see main advantage - fuel consumption per m3 transported. 

The other thing that may contribute to gameplay - if people really find trains useful, they'll need to defend their cargo :) so it may look like Wild West heist gameplay elements. 

On 10/3/2017 at 4:27 PM, Miamato said:

Once again, it's not only about building trains, but also for smaller mechanisms that would be just a part of your ship or base, and will be able to move part of that ship or base without braking the integrity.

One of examples is kind of small carrier ship, that moves it back part on rails to clear place for smaller ship to be docked on it. 59d3f1744a193_expandingship.png.13c46be5db4aa05165818e0d6b20c673.png

So the idea is to have small scale mechanism that won't be counted as a separate vehicle, so in theory you will be able to change shapes of your creation according to your needs without rebuilding it. Example above is just the simplest version of what may be done.

I like the idea, but the mechanism for that wouldn't really be the rail would it?

I know in "Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts" (yeah i know no one likes this game, but it had a building system that works similar to what NQ is proposing) they had a component that you could use to attach multiple vehicles together. The main vehicle would gain the functionality of whatever was connected to it.

For example, if you made a train that was linked together with these "vehicle attaching component" things, and you ran out of fuel, and the fuel tank was on it's own section of the train, you could detach that section and attach a full fuel tank and be good to go. (The same concept works with cargo / a train car with weapons on it)

TLDR: I think the actual component for connecting trains should be a "connector" in this case, and the rails would just be voxels that are there to stabilize whatever is attached.

16 hours ago, Vellnn said:

I like the idea, but the mechanism for that wouldn't really be the rail would it?

English is not my native language, so probably I didn't find exact translation.

Currently here I was talking about two kind of things - some sci-fi trains (magnetic rails, or probably some force-field rail), the second thing about small scale mechanism that won't be counted as separate vehicle and allow one part of construct to slide on somehow determined straight line relatively to main construct part. 

16 hours ago, Vellnn said:

For example, if you made a train that was linked together with these "vehicle attaching component" things, and you ran out of fuel, and the fuel tank was on it's own section of the train, you could detach that section and attach a full fuel tank and be good to go. (The same concept works with cargo / a train car with weapons on it)

Currently this topic was not about attaching one vehicle to another in order to make them work together, but this would be also nice. 

Actually I thought about this kind of things also, rails would be nice but before I wish to have 3d movement with : translation, rotation and ... patella ? not sure of this one in english, in french it's "rotule" this is just the basic Linkage : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linkage_(mechanical)

this is what you want for doing such a thing:

On 05/10/2017 at 5:58 PM, Vellnn said:

59d3f1744a193_expandingship.png.13c46be5db4aa05165818e0d6b20c673.png

but they probably already planned it as in the E3 demo they featured a cargo door opening from the giant aircraft.

I would be so excited for a rail system. the one in starmade lets me do everything from move my ship into the hangar, to move cargo containers, to moving turrets to making transport systems. I think I would enjoy that more than the scripting, because you can do all the behaviors with blocks like in minecraft redstone. It is a bit easier to learn and extrapolate. You have a few blocks that each do one thing, a rail, an end rail, a turn around rail, connect, release, a signal detector etc. 

in starmade weight slowed rails to a crawl if you didn't do it properly, would magnetic rails care about weight? since it is really hard to get magnets to touch would it ever be possibly for a magnetic rail system to be overweight? possibly have gear/tread based rails with friction as the entry point, and magnetic don't get slowed by weight rails as more end game?

25 minutes ago, Ravenskysong said:

in starmade weight slowed rails to a crawl if you didn't do it properly, would magnetic rails care about weight? since it is really hard to get magnets to touch would it ever be possibly for a magnetic rail system to be overweight?

Actually it's not correct as magnets pushed away from each other with force of certain power. If you push one of them with more power, it may overcome magnetic field strength so magnets would touch each other. That means for more weight you need either more(bigger) magnets, or more energy, or both. But that won't make any troubles as it's a natural balance. 

26 minutes ago, Ravenskysong said:

I think I would enjoy that more than the scripting, because you can do all the behaviors with blocks like in minecraft redstone. It is a bit easier to learn and extrapolate.

Without scripts it would be fun, but with some programming you can get fully automated factories/trains/inner base transport system. 

Actually when I was thinking about mega structures - if you are a visitor and you need to find smth fast - it would be really cool if you can just sit on some train or elevator, press right button and get yo your point in few minutes, rather than spending 1-2 hours just to find a location. 

3 hours ago, Ravenskysong said:

I would be so excited for a rail system. the one in starmade lets me do everything from move my ship into the hangar, to move cargo containers, to moving turrets to making transport systems. I think I would enjoy that more than the scripting, because you can do all the behaviors with blocks like in minecraft redstone. It is a bit easier to learn and extrapolate. You have a few blocks that each do one thing, a rail, an end rail, a turn around rail, connect, release, a signal detector etc. 

in starmade weight slowed rails to a crawl if you didn't do it properly, would magnetic rails care about weight? since it is really hard to get magnets to touch would it ever be possibly for a magnetic rail system to be overweight? possibly have gear/tread based rails with friction as the entry point, and magnetic don't get slowed by weight rails as more end game?

Yeah, & with magnetic rails we could even have them placed upside down, and whatever cart/vehicle/item is running on them wouldn't fall off because the magnetic rails keep them in place, so that feature would be very helpful in difficult terrain or to get through tight places

16 minutes ago, TheAtlasWarrior said:

Yeah, & with magnetic rails we could even have them placed upside down, and whatever cart/vehicle/item is running on them wouldn't fall off because the magnetic rails keep them in place, so that feature would be very helpful in difficult terrain or to get through tight places

Not only in difficult natural terrain. For example if you are mining deep inside the planet or want to reach planet core at some point, you need some vertical cave. You can use such rails as an elevator for your resources or for transferring mining vehicles deep.

3 hours ago, Miamato said:

Not only in difficult natural terrain. For example if you are mining deep inside the planet or want to reach planet core at some point, you need some vertical cave. You can use such rails as an elevator for your resources or for transferring mining vehicles deep.

Yes. It can also be used to transport ores & other materials between the surface & underground, so it will also be very helpful for mining. I can also imagine people using magnetic rails to make underground subway networks, which would be helpful if people want to travel past a large body of water.

You could build a hovercraft with basic line following scripts and voxel "rails" to mark the paths.  The line following would be a pretty basic script, and you could use logic gates connected to sensors to control the rails (like redstone in MC).  

• 2 weeks later...

A rail system would definitely be interesting, because it'd likely allow for train and subway systems over large distances, since rails can be treated in the game code as specialized system with singular purpose, that may not be subjects to scripting limits. Scripts are apparently only supposed to work if there's players around, so if you were to want to call for a subway car, that's currently on the far end of a deserted track, where there's no people, it wouldn't work.

Hello, I am new here, but I hope you guys/gals don't mind if I join the conversation. I am very excited for this game. So, I had 2 ideas for a linear rail system that I would like to share.
My ideas are based on the way the game currently works, in its pre-alpha state. The first idea uses Elements, and the second idea uses a Dynamic Construct.

IDEA 1
The first idea uses 2 new Elements. A "Platform" Element, and a "Rail Sensor" Element. Basically you would place the Platform Element anywhere you want. Then you would put down 2 or more "Rail Sensors".
The first Rail Sensor would be the starting point, and the second Rail Sensor would be the ending point. To activate the rail you can place a button (or other Element) on the Platform. Then link them together. The same way you would link a button to a door opening. Also, you can add as many Rail Sensors as you want, as long as they are linked to the Platform Element.
Here is a link to an animation I did to illustrate my idea.
https://imgur.com/a/aRwzw

IDEA 2
Now my second idea uses dynamic constructs (this is the in game component used for vehicles/ships or things that move). But, you will also need a new Element I call a "Rail" Element. So, First you would deploy a dynamic construct. Then you can use voxels to build a platform or structure that you want, it can be anything since you're making it with voxels, the same way you make a ship.
Then place the "Rail" Element on your structure. after that is done, just place a "Rail Sensor" for the starting point, and another "Rail Sensor" for the ending point, like before, Then link the "Rail Sensors" to the "Rail" Element. Because the structure you made is a Dynamic construct, it will move from sensor to sensor. Also, you can link a button, or any other Element to the "Rail" Element to activate/deactivate it.
Here is a link to an animation I made showing an example.
https://imgur.com/a/mI1Jb

On top of that you can also use LUA scripting to enhance the way the rail moves. Anyway those are my 2 ideas.

On 27.10.2017 at 7:25 AM, supermega said:

Hello, I am new here, but I hope you guys/gals don't mind if I join the conversation. I am very excited for this game. So, I had 2 ideas for a linear rail system that I would like to share.
My ideas are based on the way the game currently works, in its pre-alpha state. The first idea uses Elements, and the second idea uses a Dynamic Construct.

IDEA 1
The first idea uses 2 new Elements. A "Platform" Element, and a "Rail Sensor" Element. Basically you would place the Platform Element anywhere you want. Then you would put down 2 or more "Rail Sensors".
The first Rail Sensor would be the starting point, and the second Rail Sensor would be the ending point. To activate the rail you can place a button (or other Element) on the Platform. Then link them together. The same way you would link a button to a door opening. Also, you can add as many Rail Sensors as you want, as long as they are linked to the Platform Element.
Here is a link to an animation I did to illustrate my idea.
https://imgur.com/a/aRwzw

IDEA 2
Now my second idea uses dynamic constructs (this is the in game component used for vehicles/ships or things that move). But, you will also need a new Element I call a "Rail" Element. So, First you would deploy a dynamic construct. Then you can use voxels to build a platform or structure that you want, it can be anything since you're making it with voxels, the same way you make a ship.
Then place the "Rail" Element on your structure. after that is done, just place a "Rail Sensor" for the starting point, and another "Rail Sensor" for the ending point, like before, Then link the "Rail Sensors" to the "Rail" Element. Because the structure you made is a Dynamic construct, it will move from sensor to sensor. Also, you can link a button, or any other Element to the "Rail" Element to activate/deactivate it.
Here is a link to an animation I made showing an example.
https://imgur.com/a/mI1Jb

On top of that you can also use LUA scripting to enhance the way the rail moves. Anyway those are my 2 ideas.

Hello, new here myself.

I think your second idea is really nice and more importantly more practical. For what NQ have shown us so far regarding to buttons and the linking tool, this idea seem to fit right in with what they're doing, because it sort of creates a middleground where players without the know-how to use LUA gets to make some basic transport system - and it also incorporates the existing dynamic core (the platform element of your first idea is basically the same imo).

However I think it doesnt really needs the "Rail" Element", one could maybe just link the dynamic core directly to the Rail Sensors?

You've probably thought of this yourself, but I would add Rail Sensors inbetween the start and ending point so that one could make the travel path more precise in regards to obstacles in the way (existing buidlings etc.)

• 1 year later...

This really a good idea, we can use electricity on the rail for the train 

the train can have a statio-port for ship or something like this ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The way these posts describe rails, I'd also like them implemented mostly because I want interactive movement in game to build mechanized structures like puzzle doors, buildings that change shape/utility, and vehicles that change into giant humanoid robots.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...