The mechanics of large scale resource harvesting

1) Matter compression does not remove the mass from an object. You'll weigh a cubic f**kton heavier than you did before you landed if you planned to mine out acres of terrain, and taking off like that will be a nightmare for sure. Between gravity and air resistance, it's safe to say you'd be stuck on the planet for quite a while.

If ship based cargo transport works the same way the nano pack does, then it actually does negate the mass, or at least greatly decreases it. Here's an excerpt from the short story

I pass through the forest sucking up several trees, and I find a pile of rock that I siphon up also with my morpher. Its gravitational compression capacity is just astonishing. I’ve got the equivalent of four sequoias and six tons of rock in cartridges housed in my belt! The worst part is that I don’t even feel their weight thanks to anti-gravity technology!

But ship based cargo transport shouldn't work this way. It's too OP. Lifting off a planet with non-trivial amounts of payload mass should be difficult.

• 1 month later...

Is any form of mechanical mining already part of the game? Or is it still "Magically scoop stuff from the ground like someone went mental with a giant ice-scooper"?

Ice scooper.

At the moment they said no mining ships.

So no mining elements.

But who knows there might be mining tools.

Though I'm thinking it will be just ice scooping as you put it.

Ice scooper.

At the moment they said no mining ships.

So no mining elements.

But who knows there might be mining tools.

Though I'm thinking it will be just ice scooping as you put it.

Dang. Welp! Time to enslave part of the player-base to have them dig ores for my capitalist adventure. Or have NPCs do these tasks and I can pay them bottom wages, no healthcare and only protiene-porridge meals every lunch. Have a lucky few do the 'corp security', run around and shout "keep scooping!".

Dang. Welp! Time to enslave part of the player-base to have them dig ores for my capitalist adventure. Or have NPCs do these tasks and I can pay them bottom wages, no healthcare and only protiene-porridge meals every lunch. Have a lucky few do the 'corp security', run around and shout "keep scooping!".

Sorry no npc's either.

You'll have to make due with slaves.