Natural / Environmental phenomenon on different planets.

Volkier

Cant find a thread on this, so apologies if it's already been mentioned.

Basically it's more of a question and a follow up 'idea for the box'. 

Question is - will stuff like volcanoes, earthquakes, storms, hurricanes, or simple weather happen on different planets, and would those phenomenon affect structures? If so, how so?

And if not, I think it's a neat idea to play with at least to an extent. Example would be a planet with very volatile core, having constant earthquakes that will affect the integrity of any tall structures, another planet having a lot of volcanoes that can pop up anywhere and let off eruptions, another that would have tsunamis every now and again, then yet another planet that's always dark and gets insane storms which make it very hard to fly / land a ship in - you get the drift. The extent to which these effects exist and how much of them do can vary as much as possible within the game's engine, and it would certainly inject a whole load of gameplay around risk vs. reward aspect of things. 

I like the idea but I'm not sure how possible it is as it seems like there would be a lot of voxle manipulation though if it can be done with an algorithm and can be done quickly I don't really see a problem with it.

Well wouldn't that depend entirely on how the engine handles vortex damage? You don't need a full on system which makes mountains collapse in a large earthquake - that would be pretty darn cool, but obviously there would be limitations. What about more basic things, like small lava eruptions damaging structures that are built there. Just hoping there are ways that will make each planet more unique, than simply looking different and having more or less of a certain resource. 

Well wouldn't that depend entirely on how the engine handles vortex damage? You don't need a full on system which makes mountains collapse in a large earthquake - that would be pretty darn cool, but obviously there would be limitations. What about more basic things, like small lava eruptions damaging structures that are built there. Just hoping there are ways that will make each planet more unique, than simply looking different and having more or less of a certain resource. 

This entire thing is a simulation and simulations are not meant for MMOs. The server would crack in half. This is the same reason they go for a tab-targeting system with spotlighting  /  cone of fire aiming. Simulations are not meant for MMOs. not in this decade at least. In ten years from now, with 1 TB RAM and 10 THz processors, yes, absoutely. So, be happy with an emulated series of phenomena based on a biome. Don't ask for the kitchen sink.

Peace.

I'd be happy with simple weather textures and particle effects. No need to go all apocalypse with earthquakes and volcanoes. Maybe some light or heavy rain. Perhaps clear/lightly cloudy/storm clouds. DU doesn't need to be Weather Simulator 2016.

This entire thing is a simulation and simulations are not meant for MMOs. The server would crack in half. This is the same reason they go for a tab-targeting system with spotlighting  /  cone of fire aiming. Simulations are not meant for MMOs. not in this decade at least. In ten years from now, with 1 TB RAM and 10 THz processors, yes, absoutely. So, be happy with an emulated series of phenomena based on a biome. Don't ask for the kitchen sink.

Peace.

Fair enough. Though I would argue that last gen MMOs and simulators both had proximity based effects. Basic ones, but there nonetheless..

Though I wouldn't have a clue as to the limitations of the engine, and to what degree (if any) it's possible. Admittedly, tsunami's and volcanoes are the extreme, and like you said, are not likely to ever be seen in this decade, but that was more wishful thinking on my part. More of, would we get 'heat damage' for landing on the surface of a sun would have been more in line with what I was trying to say. (or basic weather as the above post points out)

"Your idea certainly is an interesting concept that would be beautiful if added to the game. To be quite frank with you, this is not going to happen, not during the Alpha launch, Beta launch or even the game's final release. My apologies. The fact is that, the developers still have so much ground to cover on essential game mechanics, player requests, bugs and fixes, graphic tweaking, voxel implementation and script security, before the Beta launch and final game release. The time is so short that it just won't be possible to squeeze in cosmetic effects that can be done without. Personally, I'd love to see natural disasters happen in the game. We have done so much harm to Mother Nature that she quite deserves her revenge in an MMO. Natural disasters/ Space phenomenon could even increase as the player base and player activity increase in their own right: this will add to the immersion effect. But, I don't think the developers will do that anytime soon. Perhaps as an add-on in the future, this will be implemented, and I very much hope I'll be there to see it."

Fair enough. Though I would argue that last gen MMOs and simulators both had proximity based effects. Basic ones, but there nonetheless..

Though I wouldn't have a clue as to the limitations of the engine, and to what degree (if any) it's possible. Admittedly, tsunami's and volcanoes are the extreme, and like you said, are not likely to ever be seen in this decade, but that was more wishful thinking on my part. More of, would we get 'heat damage' for landing on the surface of a sun would have been more in line with what I was trying to say. (or basic weather as the above post points out)

The point is, that last gen MMOs didn't go for a continuous single-shard universe. There's the difference. DUAL goes for a very unexplored MMO landscape. EVE indedd did the first steps into that landscape, but DUAL really leads the expedition now. You can't have a server run simulated atmospheric weather effects on every planet players will be. It would shred the server hard. I would love them, but I gotta keep my head leveled on this one good sir. Emulated weather effects are the best compromise. They cost little, they add flavor in a planet's landscape and nobody is the wiser if ten drops of water were of the exact same particle effect :P This kind of witchcraft trickery is used for quite some time now, even in "simulators" even. Nobody notices that every rain drop is the same :P