Biped Vehicles or (Mecha)

ThatGuy225

What I really want in any game is Mechs. This might be a stretch to do since the it either needs to function flawlessly or it needs to use some sort of pre-made animation (which would be difficult to fit on so many different designs) but if i could have one thing, it would be giant robots. more like a Gundam style as well as any other style people like such as mechwarrior, or the Big O, whatever Giant Robot floats your boat. of course it would all be up to the player. maybe they could have some sort of skeleton that you could build off of and that skeleton would have the pre-made animations and you would just be putting on the armor and weapons. might be a bit too much, but it will always be a small dream of mine.

For now I can just play pretend by building a ship in the shape of a Gundam even though the arms/legs don't move. if they added some sort of rotors like on Space Engineers or some sort of moving parts mechanic then that would be more than enough for me.

I don't think mech will be a thing for now, at least not until release, and wheels will probably come first if they ever come...

All I can say is hope we'll have something more than hoverblades for planetary transport

1 minute ago, TheBlender said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this... I don't feel that I would mind ground mechs for surface combat, but gundam style and flying I feel would be completely out of place and there wouldn't be a "ship melee" combat. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we had some extremely close-range weapon options at some point. We probably won't have articulating arms holding beam sabers or axes, but a lance with an exploding tip, or a nose-mounted shotgun would be appropriate "melee" weapons for spaceships.

However nothing prevents you from building your flying ship to look like a mech, infact that kinda sounds like it could be fun (landing-gear legs, something like Macross). The arms and legs wouldn't really be functional, and unless we get pistons or rotors they wouldn't even be posable, but still would be kinda neat.

Another thing that comes to mind here are some of the ships from R-type Final, many of them have robotic arms and legs but still totally look like space ships (also gave me some ideas for ship-based melee weapons like a drill or a pile-driver). I've built ships like this before in Space Entineers and Starmade, and some of my designs actually sorta worked (but I'll tell ya, ramming-based weapons like lances are super taboo in Space Engineers due to how destructive they are alongside bugs which can glitch you through their armor. Explosive-tip sensor based so they detonate prior to impact is the only "fair" way there).

Didn't JC already talk about this being possible in one of the dev diary posts ... but it's not something that NQ will provide ... someone is going to have to build that stuff with LUA and component parts like pistons.

So far there or no wheeled or biped vehicles in Dual Universe and I am not sure if they will ever have them ? Not enough information has ben released on this subject so far.

I do have a idea for now if your interested and I have seen this in other games and maybe you have also : so far the only vehicles we have seen for ground use or hover vehicles so you could try something like building a hover tank and then designing something like a mecha upper torso on top.

FinishedDestroyerTopView.jpg

Necron Destroyer

This is what I could find quickly but I am sure you have a better idea of what I am trying to say and I  have seen other games that use hover style mecha's. Could be a interesting project for you if your interested?

On 9/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, ThatGuy225 said:

What I really want in any game is Mechs. This might be a stretch to do since the it either needs to function flawlessly or it needs to use some sort of pre-made animation (which would be difficult to fit on so many different designs) but if i could have one thing, it would be giant robots. more like a Gundam style as well as any other style people like such as mechwarrior, or the Big O, whatever Giant Robot floats your boat. of course it would all be up to the player. maybe they could have some sort of skeleton that you could build off of and that skeleton would have the pre-made animations and you would just be putting on the armor and weapons. might be a bit too much, but it will always be a small dream of mine.

For now I can just play pretend by building a ship in the shape of a Gundam even though the arms/legs don't move. if they added some sort of rotors like on Space Engineers or some sort of moving parts mechanic then that would be more than enough for me.

If we were given parts that could work towards this, it could be easy. However, getting these parts to interact with the terrain in desirable ways could be hard/easy.

I imagine the limit is on the physics simulation on the server. 

I could see 4 legged mechs and some sort of bikes/atvs/cars working though.