Dual Universe Lexikon

Many followed the affair - some a little too closely for their own good - but many did not, so I shed some candlelight on the recent conflict between Dark Star Imperium and The United Empire, and its regrettable consequences.

Please keep in mind that this topic is 1. a bit partial, because no-one is truly "neutral", and 2. abridged, because I kept superfluous and/ or unknown parts out.

Now we can all archive this, stop wasting NQ's time and carry on as better people.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That feeling when I watch a cast about DU with high standing members of the community and they go "I wish someone would compile DU's historical events in some sort of released timeline" and I'm like:

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Alpha 2: Dual Evolution" has come ! These are exciting times.

Apart from DUHS and SpartanCast, however, most news/history/talkshows initiatives have gone silent. That leaves quite a few lamps to pick up in the night...

Would you grab one and walk this Earth ?

If we could find some people willing to help out on creating a monthly update, I would be happy to fund the effort. I would love to have a unbiased news cast focused purely on DU updates. 

6 hours ago, Wilks Checkov said:

If we could find some people willing to help out on creating a monthly update, I would be happy to fund the effort. I would love to have a unbiased news cast focused purely on DU updates. 

I plan on doing that if I get help and support from community, the only problem is NDA as my idea is to make a monthly (at first) magazine filled with player stories which is essentially DU lore, and that will act like a time capsule capturing our history in DU. And we always can open older issues and see what was going on back then, conflicts, constructs, meta, whatever players are willing to share.

On 7/15/2019 at 2:42 AM, spaceforger said:

I plan on doing that if I get help and support from community, the only problem is NDA as my idea is to make a monthly (at first) magazine filled with player stories which is essentially DU lore, and that will act like a time capsule capturing our history in DU. And we always can open older issues and see what was going on back then, conflicts, constructs, meta, whatever players are willing to share.

Dont mind giving you a platform to launch from space, more the merrier I always say. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking back at the community and the way its members came, went and changed is a weird hobby. Looking back at Novaquark and the way they changed along their own game is even weirder.

Alpha 3 is underway. Possible side effects: it may rock your world.

22 hours ago, Peregrin said:

Looking back at the community and the way its members came, went and changed is a weird hobby. Looking back at Novaquark and the way they changed along their own game is even weirder.

Alpha 3 is underway. Possible side effects: it may rock your world.

Also possibly people may leave xD

• 1 month later...

As the name implies, Dual Universe Sleepers is a temporary initiative: it will cease, or at least change, when we awake, i.e. according to NQ's current lore, at Release.

I'll keep making daily notes for my own use but will then switch to my "real" original project: collecting and recording knowledge and history through an ingame library with ingame readable "books" (programming boards with screens and buttons, most probably), open to public use in a safe area.

Details are still in the works but there will be books, as many of them as possible, from different writers and in several languages.

• 1 month later...

Alpha 3 is proving to be a... complex affair, but results are here, cue Station Building Contest.

Covid is hurting the world right now but fortunately, it spared Novaquark and Dual Universe, at least in the short term, and their work is ongoing; in the meantime, I snipped 3 months away from the logs and completed the archived chronology accordingly.

Whatever happens, we all share a history. Stay safe everyone.

• 1 month later...

Still there, still almost good.

Lexikon is shaping up, in plans, writings and test modules at least.

I am also starting to fill my phonebook: do your org have among their ranks a "lore master", an archivist, a historian with the designated job of keeping trace of all events, internal and external ? If so, I'd like to maintain regular contact with this person, please let me know.

• 1 month later...

I have updated the "Chronology" page with the latest, January to April, notable events.

I am also putting an end to the "Logs", my daily notes, keeping them to myself from now on, both in preparation of the Lexikon project and because I feel they are redundant with initiatives such as DUHS (you'll find me there anyway) or content producers advertising themselves (lately: NMC, Coach Willy and Spaaaced, among others).

I'll be using the "Archives" section to post some more elaborated writings in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote a little piece about one of Dual Universe's mightiest "Paper Empires": the Cinderfall Syndicate.

This one had four lives and four deaths, before even being reborn, so I'm thinking choosing the Phoenix as their emblem was some damn good hindsight.

(As always, getting things right is my top priority, so tell me if you spot mistakes or inconsistencies, I'm so bad at dates sometimes - and i DO mean "chronological digits")

"Let Your Dreams Take Flight":

Exeptional work, @Peregrin, I salute you.

tenor.gif

Not only interesting read, but quite a story to learn from. And learn well.

Still, I strongly believe in republican ideals of umbrella alliances or, more exactly,  in what they can eventualy transcend in positive direction. While very vulnerable in infancy and taxing to maintain in balance, they hold within them this kernel of ever evaisive, but beautiful dream of better way for humanity, when free people stand together for not what is convinient, but what is right, where measure of strenght is will not to dominite, but to protect. And you know, at the end, good guys can have some medals from princesses, not that boring to not to try.

Spoiler

Sorry, i'm probably just balding man who still believe in fairytales ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beta officially started today so I made a new introductory text for DUSleepers.

Now for my two cents:

Beta is finally here, "with all its glory... and all its horror".

Although I am delighted to finally see the game blossom from one development stage to the next, I now experience a feeling of disappointment at certain decisions in notable divergence with, almost in betrayal of the Kickstarter era: in 2016, "Dual Universe" was promised to us as a game where players - and ONLY players - could "rebuild civilization" and I think everyone who participated in the Alpha was ready, determined even, to build everything from scratch, to remake a world in their image and give it to the newcomers, with its faults and its qualities, its pettinesses and its virtues. Harvesting resources, founding an industry, leaving Alioth and reaching the Moon, planting one's flag and imposing one's mark on the universe were to be pioneering challenges for us. In two words: "Emergent Gameplay".

We woke up in a world filled with already amply-stocked Markets (on every planet!), huge Institutes, Ship Shops offering cutting-edge technology, free and insistant shuttles to the Moon, buried wrecks and even a guaranteed daily income: WHO built all this Eden ?! Not us. We weren't given the occasion.

Beta was to be a simulation episode too, with a last wipe before the Release's awakening; instead we have a “soft launch” where player-produced content can be seen as “fraudulent” - in a game still plagued by bugs, exploits and unbalances - but will nonetheless be the permanent basis of their upcoming empires. The Sanctuary Moon was to be a protected place but devoid of resources: there are now minerals on the surface and soon underground, one less reason to make the effort, to take the risk of launching into space. And finally, the Arkship was to defiantly bury itself into the ground, vertically erected like a colossal beacon, the conduit for a signal of hope. We get an oversized laser pointer.

I know. It was a matter of facilitating the arrival of new, more casual players not necessarily won to the cause of the first Noveans' pioneering spirit, therefore encouraging subscriptions and finally opening up a source of regular income for NQ in this delicate period for start-ups and private investors. It was about presenting a "suitable face" to the streamers, lured in with a provend of beta keys and camera-robots to promote the game. And we had to be kicked out of Alioth early to spare the server load, even if the corresponding technology has been the spearhead of NQ's promotion since the beginning.

No worries: the game is not done and if there is much work left to do, it is on tracks thanks to the incredible efforts of Novaquark's teams. The long awaited Beta is here, it's great, we are now launched more or less "for good" after years of waiting, I dedicate all my best hopes to this game and I'm even certain this lore discrepancy will be assuaged in time by NQ; I'm also confident they'll know how to monitor and maintain this complex balance; mistakes are made, mistakes are mended.

But my awakening to Alioth, my first non-virtual steps as a Novean will forever leave me with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

20 hours ago, Peregrin said:

But my awakening to Alioth, my first non-virtual steps as a Novean will forever leave me with a lightly bitter aftertaste.

Wel, NQ was kinda doing "lesser evil" choice here. Yet I agree, it left with... some conflicted feelings too (to say it polite).

On good side, there will be other systems, where, I hope, exploration and development will be fully in our hands, not hindered by some pre-staged things.

• 3 weeks later...

I have reformated DUSleepers to host some of the texts for the Lexikon library (building up as we speak); there will be few images, due to the NQ's Image Upload Program's limitations; the ingame technical format for the "books" has been set up, thanks to the tremendous help of Oxdale from OGG.

Lexikon is taking shape and is visitable (via its Surrogate Pod, named "Lexikon", or visiting south of Sanctuary Market 3 at ::pos{0,26,77.2256,27.9143,103.6950}).