Question in regards to the up coming pre alpha

Miedein

I've not been able to see this stated anywhere else but I'll also admit to not looking that carefully either. However. What I'm curious about is that for the pre alpha test coming up at the end of the month. The date and time listed for it is only like half a day for the pre alpha test. Now I understand that the main reason for this is likely to just test the server system out to make sure it works. Which is totally fine. You can only run so many in house tests before its time to release it to the unwashed masses for us to break for you. 

But my question is, seeing that the pre alpha is only going to be running for a few hours and not a few days, will we have the ability to download and install the game prior to the test start. Not everyone has the internet speeds I do where I can download say Fallout 4 and install it in 10-15 minutes. Others may take hours and so people could even require a couple days to download and install things depending on the size. 

I ask this mainly for a buddy of mine cause I bought his gold status for him, but his internet download speed is pretty crap and tbf. I'm not waiting for however many hours it'll take him to get the game ready to go when the gates are opened. But I'd rather he be there ready with me.

Also a side question if anyone can tell me when the next test will likely be and hopefully be up for longer cause I've been here dancing in my chair waiting to get my hands on this and see what I can do so much that I've been having to try and keep myself occupied playing space engineers to go over some potential ship designs I may try to convert over into DU.

12 minutes ago, yamisniper said:

in all honestly if they have alot of issues they might extend the testing

esspiccly with people getting the client

extending the testing won't be possible for them at least in the short term because of the labor laws in france. They need a special permit to conduct business at night, and it is a tedious process that will be fruitless until they can demonstrate that they are a 24-hour service.

The real question is at what point will testing be hands-off, where the servers are running without an NQ employee on standby. They will need to be present to capitalize on the data for the first few tests, and especially to help mitigate issues that come up as the test elapses. We might eventually see longer test periods later down the line, but deff not on the 30th.

What you guys are forgetting is that they are sticking to the pre-alpha, alpha, beta phases. These games that have been coming out pre-release, early access, open beta, you have being seeing for the last few years will never really be good complete games because they didn't test long in alpha and beta phases and these phases normally following limited time testing so they can do major improvements with the complete team, not just those left over not dealing with ongoing server issues.

7 hours ago, Shockeray said:

I would also like to be able to have maybe a day to make sure that everyone can download it without the download servers crashing.

The download link is already up for ATV, so it will be good for pre-alpha the day or two before I have been told.

1 hour ago, wizardoftrash said:

extending the testing won't be possible for them at least in the short term because of the labor laws in france. They need a special permit to conduct business at night, and it is a tedious process that will be fruitless until they can demonstrate that they are a 24-hour service.

There is nothing stopping them from opening a desk in another country such as Ireland.

wait ....  let me get this right ...the  Sept 30 pre alpha will only last hours?    then how long until we can actually spend time in it?   are we supposed to get an email or anything with a code or something? any links to info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

18 minutes ago, Deacon said:

wait ....  let me get this right ...the  Sept 30 pre alpha will only last hours?    then how long until we can actually spend time in it?   are we supposed to get an email or anything with a code or something? any links to info would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Infos about email here: