• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Cybrex said:

The leg we'll amputate for free. :) The replacement... well, like Kael said. :D

ok, that sounds fair, though, do I also have to say "AARRRRR" at the end of every sentence? :-O

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there ! Something new is happening at Tortuga :D 

Take part of the Tortuga Building Contest !

What is it about ?
Building the Central part of the City - looking for designers builders to help with the Stage 1 construction.

We will be holding a Building contest at the current Tortuga building test site (see discord https://discord.gg/CYNYpT9 for test site location).
The contest is to find people who can help with the central and public area construction of the Tortuga City.

What is the benefit of this ?
The winners will have the rights to build at the Central part of Tortuga city and be part of the Official Designers Council of Tortuga. You will also leave your mark in DU !

I have build an awsome skyscraper already can that be used?
Existing structures can be considered, however we are holding this at the existing test site.

Those who have not yet had the opportunity, now is the time to flex those building muscles. 

How can I participate ?

You can participate if you are a member of Tortuga (join here : https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/tortuga-city#post_3349).

Just send a direct message on discord to @MrShaw saying you're taking part on the building contest. 

What are the criterias ?
Design a building with the theme Cyberpunk, Blade runner, Ghost in the Shell or Altered carbon in mind.

This is an architectural design contest, not an interior design contest.

How to win ?
The successful winners will have their designs voted for by, @MrShaw , @SirJohn85 , @Alethion and @Cybrex.

How many can win these permissions ?
We are looking for talented builders there is no set cap

How long is this competition open for?
4 Test Cycles beginning with the first weekend test in April (Saturday 7th of April) and ending with the 27th April test session.

Good luck and have fun o7

9155.jpg

https://discord.gg/CYNYpT9

Hi there !

Regarding the city building event by NQ : 

We will still do the Tortuga Building Contest, but we encourage you to participate on the NQ Second city build. If you want to participate on the Tortuga's contest, just blueprint your construct and paste it at Tortuga on moon Mizar  before the 27th April on the following coordinates :

::pos{0,21,26.0129,-116.5499,0.0000}

Don't forget to dm me on discord if you want to participate ;)

Have fun ! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tortuga---who-do-you-wnat-to-be2.png

The Tortuga City building contest for Pre Alpha has concluded and the winners are Kurock, Agilolfing, Captain Hilts, Lau2356, and Sunrider. They will be the first among many to help layout the final layout and design for Tortuga City. Keep an eye out for future events from Tortuga City as we begin to flesh out roles of administration as required throughout testing.

This project has come a long way since its inception, with a community already beginning to flourish on Discord. Why not come join in on the fun and help make a badass home for yourself?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Alethion said:

HaYXYrO.gif

Tortuga Discord - https://discord.gg/CYNYpT9

Drop by our Discord and join the community, be apart of something great!

https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/tortuga-city

Asdasdfadf

Sorry, tilt.

Good job or (assuming it was easy), good selection. Depending on where the city might actually end up you can also ironically switch the slogan or motto around with dark place and safe space.

Token OwOkin expert, you may also comment at once!

45 minutes ago, Warden said:

Token OwOkin expert, you may also comment at once!

So I was thinking "What is Project Tortuga?"

Obviously, a safehaven for criminals.

Let me introduce everyone to something called guerrilla marketing and associative marketing.

A hidden criminal empire that the only data you can pry is a few numbers. Make everything public and Tortuga loses the appeal. What you do is let a few reap the benefits, and let the rest follow in. This is guerrilla marketing- you put in little effort to advertise, and word gets out on street that you sell the good shit.

Now, associative marketing. This isn't a widely-accepted term because there are synonymous ways to address this. Basically, you associate a main idea upon your brand.

Let's think of McDonalds. You think of an arched yellow 'M', you think McDonalds.

Sassy twitter? Wendys.

Fast food with Christian values? Chick-fil-a (which banks on hyper-religious people).

Let's put those together. For minimal effort and plenty of profit, you have an iconic symbol and nothing more.

Nothing. At. All.

You still have the org running, but the public face of it is blank. People underestimate. Those same people don't benefit.

Together isn't better.

Better is together.

How is this project coming along? Went and watched your interview with Dual Insider, but it seemed like you struggled with some of the answers. I understand as well, always had the same issue with my project and Emberstone.

I mean you no harm but you came off as trying to have your cake and eat it to between the BOO video and the Tortuga video. On one hand its unbridled aggression, and the other its dont worry its a friendly community safe zone. I was once ridiculed for having too many irons in the fire, are you now faced with a similar conundrum?

For the good of the community though I hope that a newbie friendly zone that isn't surrounded by hungry veterans looking to raid will exist. Good on all those with the moxie to stick with trying to find a real answer for the benefit of the game and the good will of future players. Look deep and think long, don't let anyone be your masters.

Good fortunes and happy Halloween to all!

8 minutes ago, Neopolitan said:

How is this project coming along? Went and watched your interview with Dual Insider, but it seemed like you struggled with some of the answers. I understand as well, always had the same issue with my project and Emberstone.

I mean you no harm but you came off as trying to have your cake and eat it to between the BOO video and the Tortuga video. On one hand its unbridled aggression, and the other its dont worry its a friendly community safe zone. I was once ridiculed for having too many irons in the fire, are you now faced with a similar conundrum?

For the good of the community though I hope that a newbie friendly zone that isn't surrounded by hungry veterans looking to raid will exist. Good on all those with the moxie to stick with trying to find a real answer for the benefit of the game and the good will of future players. Look deep and think long, don't let anyone be your masters.

Good fortunes and happy Halloween to all!

because tortuga and BOO are different entities? As @Alethion described: it started off as a BOO project and ofc it has this dark/pirate/outlaw subtone for the city. But it's a community project with all kind of ppl from different orgs involved.

Seeing BOOs actions as "unbridled aggression" is one way to put it I guess - if you have no clue what BOO really is about. We can live with that ;)

52 minutes ago, Neopolitan said:

I hope that a newbie friendly zone that isn't surrounded by hungry veterans looking to raid will exist.

Many areas will likely face this problem. In an ironic way, even safe zones aren't fully safe: yes, a city, district, station, building might be protected. But the zone eventually ends. Attackers can roam the areas on the border of any safe zone.

But I mean Tortuga even has dedicated security, police and military orgs to defend it so I guess they will do notably better or be better off than other areas or zones. Here, you have a big(ger) pool of personnel to put into dedicated security roles.

If you are a raider out for quick profit, why bother if you can potentially get smashed fast when there is other weaker targets? As criminal, do you want to mess with big parts of the community or in the sense of the founders, other outlaws and pirates?

Tortuga will see a fair share of events and maybe even action. But it should, by my guesses, be better off and relatively safe.

And if external threats become a problem, you... scale reactions accordingly.

• 1 year later...

Well, may be my 100500 cents help to bump thread. 

Every time I see "city-building" theme in org, I feel wierd kind of sorrow of crippled vet, who sees young soldiers marching to die -- and irresistable twitch in fingers to warn you. Flooderastia ilness, I know. This stars after 30.

I tried to do all this "town things" as far as in Ultima Online and then half-dozen of years in Minecraft. And seen how its done by hundreds of others. Most failed.

ITS INSANLY HARD to keep people interested and participating  in your "city-town-flyingsomthing" entity - and even more so to invest their resources into you project. Its like battle you painfully fighting to lose. Because all stakes against you. On paper people are always so good and loyal  (and there is  many of them). Like yeah, give me this house/flat, and don't forget bestow some useless rank, I'll will be your citizen! I'll will help! Then they vanish. Fast. Sometimes -- next day. And you finding them building their own base or doing other OWN buisness. Because people are instinctivly not stupid (to waste their effort without real profit). Even friends and relatives will eventualy find excuses to participate less or completly diappear.

In large scale of things they all rarely trully need your superficial place or 100% share your vision. 

Here begins mental gymnastics from "coordinators", "mayors", "megalords" and all that, no matter how they called.

Like:

"But my city so special because of so much friendship and fun, we all brothers and love each other"...

"It will be biggest thing ever, you can't even understand true plan"

"It so useful because we have here same things like everyone have in their bases too."

"I have already like 200 members and we will expand even more very soon" (5 in reality, including brilliant leader and his 10 year brother who barely can play)

"You just envious"

Those guys always deeply disturbed me by complete lack of any connection with reality. 

As my painful experience says, to have at least some degree of success, city-like entity (and this true to any org generaly) must provide not just "lyrics" and bla bla bla different simulation of movement and result, but very practical benefit, hard projection of power inside game comminity. 

- be really rich and allow followers to fed on it (players motivated by greed)

- kick hard in pvp (so people flocking into wining team, they always will)

- have some heavy artillery creative people (who make something so far beyond common skill, that people want to bathe in that fame)

- leader is somekind of god-tier charisma pshyco and people just enchanted by his presence (1 of 100.000).

MMOs bring out something primal from people. They like to be in tribe with largest chief, brightest feathers and most fattiest pigs cooking on fire. So you must have laser-like focus to give them this one sweet thing (not promise hundreds of fantastical things!). From this point of view super-centralized military-pvp-only orgs are right. This how it works. You deliver one thing, but deliver it real good.

Anything else, no matter how you put it, simply not works (or works very rarely).

Sorry of unwarranted rant or something. Hope I help at least one head to think it over little bit.

7 minutes ago, le_souriceau said:

Well, may be my 100500 cents help to bump thread. 

Every time I see "city-building" theme in org, I feel wierd kind of sorrow of crippled vet, who sees young soldiers marching too die -- and irresistable twitch in fingers to warn you. Flooderastia ilness, I know. This stars after 30.

I tried to do all this "town things" as far as in Ultima Online and then half-dozen of years in Minecraft. And seen how its done by hundreds of others. Most failed.

ITS INSANLY HARD to keep people interested and participating  in your "city-town-flyingsomthing" entity - and even more so to invest their resources into you project. Its like battle you painfully fighting to lose. Because all stakes against you. On paper people are always so good and loyal  (and there is  many of them). Like yeah, give me this house/flat, and don't forget bestow some useless rank, I'll will be your citizen! I'll will help! Then they vanish. Fast. Sometimes -- next day. And you finding them building their own base or doing other OWN buisness. Because people are egoistical and instinctivly not stupid (to waste their effort without real profit). Even friends and relatives will eventualy find excuses to participate less or completly diappear.

In large scale of things they all rarely trully need superficial place or 100% share your vision. 

Here begins mental gymnastics from "coordinators", "mayors", "megalords" and all that, no matter how they called.

Like:

"But my city so special because of so much friendship and fun, we all brothers and love each other"...

"It will be biggest thing ever, you can't even understand true plan"

"It so useful because we have here same things like everyone have in their bases too."

"I have already like 200 members and we will expand even more very soon" (5 in reality, including brilliant leader and his 10 year brother who barely can play)

"You just envious"

Those guys always deeply disturbed me by complete lack of any connection with reality. 

As my painful experience says, to have at least some degree of success, city-like entity (and this true to any org generaly) must provide not just "lyrics" and bla bla bla different simulation of movement and result, but very practical benefit, hard projection of power inside game comminity. 

- be really rich and allow followers to fed on it (players motivated by greed)

- kick hard in pvp (so people flocking into wining team, they always will)

- have some heavy artillery creative people (who make something so far beyond common skill, that people want to bathe in that fame)

- leader is somekind of god-tier charisma pshyco and people just enchanted by his presence (1 of 100.000).

MMOs bring out something primal from people. They like to be in tribe with largest chief, brightest feathers and most fattiest pigs cooking on fire. So you must have laser-like focus to give them this one sweet thing (not promise hundreds of fantastical things!). From this point of view super-centralized military-pvp-only orgs are right. This how it works. You deliver one thing, but deliver it real good.

Anything else, no matter how you put it, simply not works (or works very rarely).

Sorry of unwarranted rant or something. Hope I help at least one head to think it over little bit.

I laughed haha actually who cares have fun .

Rather than quote a wall of text:

@le_souriceau

a) Single shard MMO means ALL players are on one server. This has never been done before, so any speculation about how a city will work is just that at this point.

b) We actually have a lot of RL expertise in play with Tortuga, including professioanl urban designers, town planners, public/civil service designers and policy people, GIS types, transport planners - if any city will work in terms o sustainability, Tortuga will be one.