Democratic Organizations

EmperorSly

Speaking as CEO of Vortrex (yes, actually with an R behind the t):

While 50% of the seats in our company council are given to CEO and Sector Managers, the other 50% will be given to elected "Worker-Representatives". The Managers are in the council as long as they are in their function, the representatives have a fixed period of office. The promotions to higher ranks and the elections of representatives are strictly separated We want to be as fair to our members as possible, and in my opinion, you can only do that if you give them power as well. I would not call this a democracy, but we have at least some democratic elements.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:41 PM, EmperorSly said:

I'm currently looking for an org and playing as part of a democracy intrigues me, but almost all orgs seem to be empires, corporations, or oligarchies of some kind.  Are there any democratic orgs of at least reasonable size?

Actually I am planning at doing something like that, if I bother at making an organization and not joining one.

That said, the game is too early in development for me to join/pledge at the moment. I want to see some things through first, including (primarily) if their tech works in practice. It seems to me that they are making something good, they seem very competent to me, so I am interesting enough to start theorycrafting various stuff, including an organization with direct democracy.  Perhaps the most decisive factor of whether I will make this organization or not is if my cousin gets interested into DU. I will try to sell it to him when I am 100% sold. I estimate that this will be in late alpha/early beta.

For now I am working at the constitution which currently has 18 Articles (WIP).

@EmperorSly you may check Homeless.

Some people call us communist but we believe we exercise true democracy that in fact is distorted in RL. Entire org is build around the idea active citizen takes responsibility for it's decisions, when playing strategic role in org, becomes a public servant. But aided by AI to help in automation and integrity.

I am keeping a close eye on any devblog posts detailing asset management and organisation (voting and legates). I think that what the developers intend to implement should easily allow for both direct and indirect democracies to be formed.

How competetive these would be (reaction times, for example) of course remains to be seen. But that's a part of the fun for me (darwinism of organisations)! :-)

It is well possible that we need a much bigger player base before democracies in any form make sense.

The other risk is whether the promised systems will actually be implemented. But I have a very good feeling about how the developers reject a lot of ideas to be able to concentrate on what they promised. They obviously have a clear vision, and appear very competent in engineering the game to match that.

In light of all that: I am looking for an organisation that has a more interesting form of government than just rule by fiat or oligarchy. But I'll wait until I see the actual in game systems before making a decision, or deciding to create something myself. I first want to see what is actually possible. :-)

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2017 at 8:22 AM, devu said:

@EmperorSly you may check Homeless.

Some people call us communist but we believe we exercise true democracy that in fact is distorted in RL. Entire org is build around the idea active citizen takes responsibility for it's decisions, when playing strategic role in org, becomes a public servant. But aided by AI to help in automation and integrity.

Democratic theory says that the State should have a monopoly of force in its territorial area.

that is right, State has the monopoly on force, best evidence is payment of tax.

Tax is basically taking money from an individual because you as state feel You have the right to take it, no dispute possible, just give 40/50% of your income to the state.

And now it comes, If you do not freely give that cash or make absolutely sure you do not pay less then what the government wants from you, You go to jail.

So, You go to jail if you do not give half your money to the government freely.

Thats why the city of tranquility is no democratie, we do not ask taxes and give our facilities freely to our residents, we ask for donations in materials but if you don't donate your free to do so. The ruling and laws are simple, only have 7 and they will never grow or be discussable. The only leadership we have is to make sure everyone is safe and prosperous. 

Everyone is free to come and free to go, no democraty, no replubic, no anarchy, no tyrany. 

freedom

Don't forget McNukes (that won't exist ingame because Novaquark are run by statist [REDACTED]) /s

Given multiple people in a finite space, true freedom cannot exist since each person's freedoms will interfere with others. My freedom to take your stuff interfere with your freedom to own property, for instance. Instead, what we have are attempts to limit distribute freedoms through a variety of means in order to (ideally) minimize the amount of freedom lost to interference (Obviously some people have have other motives). A corporate poly-poly(?) on force doesn't necessarily better ensure maximization of freedom via minimization of interference then a state-owned monopoly, especially if said state has a working system of checks and balances. It should be noted that force to govern is an attempt to rein in and control interference on freedom to make it less unpredictable.