Democratic Organizations

EmperorSly

How exactly would you define democratic and how extensively democratic should your ideal organization be? 

The more you elaborate on what it should (not) have,  the better your filters and offers. 

5 hours ago, DamianKnight said:

The guy named Emperor Sly wants in on a Democracy ... me thinks some one is trying to take over!!!!!

Heavens no, but some emergency power might need to be granted if there is a major war with the Seperatists and the Jedi try to assassinate me...

4 hours ago, Mortalpath said:

Hi emperor, have you tried looking at the company organizations? Silverlight Industries, Objective Driveyards, and Vortrex Mining and Science (who i am a part of come check us out). We tend to have a democratic setup.

Couldn't find Vortex; Silverlight Industries doesn't mention anything about elections or voting.  What do you mean by "a democratic setup."

1 hour ago, Warden said:

How exactly would you define democratic and how extensively democratic should your ideal organization be? 

The more you elaborate on what it should (not) have,  the better your filters and offers. 

Fair enough.  Really I'm just looking for an organization that elects its ultimate leaders.  I don't mean direct democracy (which would probably be unworkable); I'm looking for representative democracy.  I'm okay with citizenship/voting rights needing to be earned, in fact I am in favor of such a system, but it should be achievable for most members over time (otherwise we're really talking about oligarchy).

5 hours ago, Snipester said:

I was looking for the same thing and couldn't find anything that really fit the bill. Maybe we could get some people together to make one?

I am so tempted to try, but I'm not at all sure I have the time to get such an org off the ground, hence why I am hoping I can find one.

well, the org I'm about to tell you of is not a government per se, but it is more of a collective of organizations that plan to bring trade to everyone, & at the same time promote peace and cooperation with each other and the community as a whole. They are democratic and neutral, the name of the org is the Intergalactic Trade Federation. The leaders are Kitty Khatt and MinerMax555, do you want a link to their Discord server?

ODY is a Company, so it fits your need for "promotion" which is all you're really looking for, and any member can be any rank with the effective votes, but dont expect elections to be every month or some shit, you just get promoted as you go

3 hours ago, Lights said:

ODY is a Company, so it fits your need for "promotion" which is all you're really looking for, and any member can be any rank with the effective votes, but dont expect elections to be every month or some shit, you just get promoted as you go

To be exact, Objective Driveyards is a corporate-state with the system of an oligarchic technocracy, electing using a strict meritocracy with a liberal mindset. 

ODY is a political entity more than a company, but as a corporate-state, it's being funded through the work of a corporation.
The political system itself is not democratic indeed, there is a fixed number of oligarchs (3 directors, CEO, CFO & COO) who oversee each others activities, vote together and elect direct subordinates in a meritocratic technocracy - the people who work the most and show the best work are being prmotoed into leadership positions with stronger influence and more responsibilities.
But every member is free to work the way they want and what they want and when they want while still being rewarded accordingly.

All members are also still allowed to vote on every decision that will affect them in any way, very similar to a direct democracy.

The reason you're unlikely to find a democratic org is because it's usually very inefficient. Whenever decisions can't be made prompty and directly, you're stuck being idle for a certain time. Every founder of an organisation will want it to be successful in the way they imagine success. That's why most orgs are either oligarchies or straight authoritarian. Not saying that democratic orgs won't ever be a thing though, just not really at the moment.

Natural selection, I suppose. Or "organizational darwinism", or something like that. It works and can compete or it can't.

I'm curious to see if something like in (western) reality can work on this scale but players need to be willing to do this and organize it, and then in addition, this system would need to compete against others who may likely have faster response times on average and so on.

Part of the trouble is that setting up an org, and attracting members to an org can be a lot of work. The people that go out of their way to do this are often the legates themselves, who want to be managing/leading something.

Why would someone go through the trouble of setting up an org and attracting members... if someone else will end up in-charge?

It is entirely possible though that once the game actually is released, or there is a version with 24/7 uptime, that democratic orgs could organically form through the players that are physically in a tight proximity. This works because the players will physically come together, iron out and codefy their laws, then post an actual digital version of the org from there. In the mean-time though, most orgs are meaningless and therefor no-one is motivated to form a functioning democracy when there is nothing for that democracy to actually do.

24 minutes ago, Lethys said:

I think it's not possible at all. As you said warden, legates need to be named and changed. That's an organizational nightmare in itself. Not speaking about slow windmills here or scammers who could awox the whole org

it isn't possible at all *yet*, but we might discover that the Org functionality in the game at release is much more robust that the org system in the community portal. Voting systems, org policy, even hierarchy might be something that can be customized in a strict way in the game's actual architecture.

At the very least, it would be easy to make an informal democratic org, and it might rely heavily on the honor system. 

5 hours ago, Lethys said:

I think it's not possible at all. As you said warden, legates need to be named and changed. That's an organizational nightmare in itself. Not speaking about slow windmills here or scammers who could awox the whole org

The latter issue is hardly unique to a democracy. Many an Eve empire has fallen to awoxing.  The key is how robust the org system is and whether it will be possible to build redundancies and safeguards against this sort of thing.  It might be relatively easy for one scammer to get elected, but it would be harder and riskier for three to get elected and act in concert.

4 hours ago, EmperorSly said:

The latter issue is hardly unique to a democracy. Many an Eve empire has fallen to awoxing.  The key is how robust the org system is and whether it will be possible to build redundancies and safeguards against this sort of thing.  It might be relatively easy for one scammer to get elected, but it would be harder and riskier for three to get elected and act in concert.

it's sufficient if you get elected to be in charge of finances for example ;)

Yup. If someone runs off with all your money and backups,  you may not be done for as a larger player state can generate new money, assets, etc. 

Nevertheless at least a major setback, if the resulting shockwaves don't cripple or finish a group for good. 

Since you cannot avoid a few things once you start to publicly recruit, you must focus on damage control. More,  I don't say at this point. 

Some have to do their homework or at least a bit of it themselves and figure out what might work or what they like to do in that regard.