I'm very excited about this game... How can I spend my time?

StarfordRaffles

Hello all. I discovered this game 3 or 4 days ago and have become very excited. I read most of the wiki and watched a lot of videos on YT.

How else can I spend my time now? I've signed up for the beta waitlist and hope to join this game as soon as possible... but realistically that is probably more than a year way. 

Is there any way I can practice ship design / building, practice Lua scripting or anything like that? (If not, that would be a great way to build hype--a downloadable single player experience where I can build and fly my ship in a very small area. I'd even pay for it!)

Thanks. 

Hello @StarfordRaffles,

If you haven't started looking at organizations yet you can start doing that. 

You can join the un'official discord channel. There you can talk to people and get to know different organization and the members of them.

You can also, if you haven't, post an introductory in the Arkship Pub. There will be people looking to recruit for organizations in there as well as other organizations posting their recruitment!

How best to spend your time now? As Stoat said, you could join an organization! They're good to be in because they'll keep you interested in the game, and you'll be able to hear their Pre-Alpha stories (Once the NDA lifts, of course). I know I'm trying to keep my members interested. (And we're recruiting!)

If you wanna practice ship design, There's other games with voxel building, though I can't name them, lol. If you just want a quick, free modeller, MagicaVoxel could work.

Lua scripting, you could search for Lua tutorials, I'm sure there's something out there you could practice with.

I'm 100% sure they won't make any sort of singleplayer mode. Because that's a whole other thing they'd have to program, it'd take time away from the actual game, and it's not what DU's about.

But anyways, welcome to DU! It's gonna be great.

Space Engineers is one game you can practice with, it is more simple block building but can still roughly design things. Plus the default planet size is close to the same size as the starting planet in DU. Avorion and Empyrion are others.

If you want to work on a useful in-game skill, I'd definitely practice your Lua skills. I'm sure there's good tutorials out there that could help you get up to speed with how the system works. 

Other than that, you'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us, and maybe purchase a supporter pack once they come out. 

I'd also suggest to invest in getting to know people or groups right now, rather than just trying to literally build, rather build a reputation. 

I personally will only start designs in the game itself because other games or programs might have notable differences. Sure, in the end blocks are blocks but being able to design with the right DU elements from the start seems more favorable. 

In short, what I build or design elsewhere I might as well do in DU once the required elements are in. But that's just me, not saying it is "wrong". 

Still, don't forget that "social currency". 

I'd say the best thing you can do right now is join a bunch of organization discords and start getting to know people. That social currency will be the best resource you have once the game starts.

That and read around on the forums. There are lots of hidden gems of threads out there that you may find interesting

I found a great place to start with lua is roblox studio and if you really wanted to go in depth there is a book on coding in lua 4th edition i think, guarunteed to keep you occupied :P

And as im sure your starting to notice already, DU is a very lively community and it is great to get involved in all the discord channels and forums.

There is some great youtube stuff on all the politics and game features by a few organisations and also some very good reading material in the forums by people like @Lethys, @yamamushi, @Cybrex, @Lord_Void etc. etc

I probably shouldnt have started listing people but meh. sorry to the hundreds of others i also should have listed :P

On 9/19/2017 at 9:11 PM, Militant said:

Where did you sign up for the Beta?  I don't see a link anywhere.

Not the beta... the beta waitlist. At https://www.dualthegame.com/ the first prompt is to get notified when the crowdfunding reopens.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:16 PM, Vorengard said:

If you want to work on a useful in-game skill, I'd definitely practice your Lua skills. I'm sure there's good tutorials out there that could help you get up to speed with how the system works. 

Other than that, you'll just have to wait and see like the rest of us, and maybe purchase a supporter pack once they come out. 

On 9/20/2017 at 4:23 AM, Magz said:

I found a great place to start with lua is roblox studio and if you really wanted to go in depth there is a book on coding in lua 4th edition i think, guarunteed to keep you occupied :P

And as im sure your starting to notice already, DU is a very lively community and it is great to get involved in all the discord channels and forums.

There is some great youtube stuff on all the politics and game features by a few organisations and also some very good reading material in the forums by people like @Lethys, @yamamushi, @Cybrex, @Lord_Void etc. etc

I probably shouldnt have started listing people but meh. sorry to the hundreds of others i also should have listed :P

Thanks @Magz and @Vorengard for the advice! I got Roblox and found that book at my library. 

To everyone else, I'm looking through the organizations right now also. Thanks again!