Question On Inventory and Cargo Space...

StarfordRaffles

What do we know about inventory and cargo space limitations?

In a lot of the creation demos, the creator is holding 99999999 of given materials. 

I'm also curious if ships will have a way to store items as inventory items or if to transport an item you need to literally dump that item into a physical space inside a cargo hold. If the latter is true, won't it be much easier to transport items inside your inventory? That, then, immediately leads to inventory limits... which I've seen nothing about. 

Thanks!

In the videos, they are holding that much because they are in "God mode", a infinite flying, creative inventory mode.

As for storing, I don't think you literally dump a ton of, say, iron, onto the floor, but you do need to put it in cargo containers that would take up as much space as the iron would. I'm not sure about that though, I may have misinterpreted it.

8 minutes ago, CommanderLouiz said:

In the videos, they are holding that much because they are in "God mode", a infinite flying, creative inventory mode.

As for storing, I don't think you literally dump a ton of, say, iron, onto the floor, but you do need to put it in cargo containers that would take up as much space as the iron would. I'm not sure about that though, I may have misinterpreted it.

Thanks. Where did you hear that, do you remember

Also, any word on what inventory limits would be? In regards to mining... it seems you can fill up an inventory pretty quickly mining through dirt just to get to the ore below. 

I appreciate the help. 

55 minutes ago, StarfordRaffles said:

Thanks. Where did you hear that, do you remember

Also, any word on what inventory limits would be? In regards to mining... it seems you can fill up an inventory pretty quickly mining through dirt just to get to the ore below. 

I appreciate the help. 

I do not think that they have really delved into the topic in the details you are looking for unfortunately.  From what we've filled in on the wiki (dualuniverse.gamepedia.com), I would say that what you should look for is to have a reasonable amount of space to keep items mined (or whatever) in your inventory as it has special compression technology.  There is definitely special cargo elements that you will deposit items into as a separate inventory, rather than a physical location.  

In theory, there is also nothing stopping you from dropping a bunch of resources voxels on the floor of a ship that a large room you could call a cargohold.  I've heard different things about what you can and cannot redeploy and how from your inventory into the world outside of a construct. 

What you could also do in theory is somehow build a small refining plant where you are mining, refine the resources, and then add them to your ship as voxels.

From a pruely opinion standpoint, I would imagine your inventory would go from empty to full in 10-20 minutes of mining.  While you cannot directly mine using constructs (ie ships), that wouldnt stop anyone from parking a ship behind you and filling it's cargohold up as you go along.  Alternatively you can also imagine a basic EVE-style mining op where you have multiple miners, and one or more haulers taking the resources back and forth between the mine and a base of operations.

Dumping resources "on the floor" certainly sounds like an option, but it has a security risk. Anyone can hoover-up that pile with their own nanoformer. You can't set RDMS permissions on a random pile of resources.

There will HAVE to be restrictions on inventory, otherwise "space-truckers" will be replaced by "space-couriers on bikes" ! :D

• 1 month later...

In this latest video from DU: 

They show linking a container and a dispenser. My guess is that the container is a larger version of the storage system on your arm/hand. So you would mine for a bit then unload into a container on your ship/hover bike/settlement etc.

The dispenser is also a new item that has me wondering if it will be like vending machines in games like Second Life.......  interesting times indeed!

I just hope that inventory space for basic materials, like soil and such, is rather sufficiently large. This is mostly about bigger building/excavation projects in tiny guilds or solo. It's one thing that you can't be expected to haul around the same amount of cubicmeters in lead as you could in soil, due to density differences. But still, I hope the limits are generous. If inventory space is small, some things might get weary very quickly, because you're spending way more time on travel (say to dump your excavated materials) than actually building.

Hello,

So, someone actually asked this question before. I found it in a video of Jessy at the GDC 2017 Dinner. Its over an hour long interview, I suggest you watch. Anyways this is whats said around the 27min mark:

Jessy goes on to explain in great detail on what they are considering doing regarding inventory limit, carrying resources, and things. Basically he says, They don't have the exact amount that a character can care set in stone just yet, it a tricking thing to balance so they are still trying figure out the right amount, but you will be able to carry more then enough to start. But the cool thing he also said is, they want to have it to where  if you have some sort of container/dispenser of some kind within in a certain distance of you're character, you will be able to access the resource automatically thorough the menu, without have to travel back an forth.

So basically, lets say you want to build a large structure right... so you just need to have a place within range where you store all your material, then you can just tap into those containers/dispensers and build to your hearts content with out have to travel anywhere. That way you don't have to carry all your resources in you're inventory all the time....and you should be able to put Storage containers anywhere, even on dynamic constructs like Vehicles/Ships. You should technically have no probably transporting and storing your resources anywhere you want. An that's not even mentioning crafting, at some point I think well also be able to craft/build constructs.

Anyway that's my take away, based on what Jessy said in the video. Hope that helps.