Will ALPHA (not pre) servers be up 24/7?

GJKeller

I was a bit disappointed to hear that right now there is only 1 day where we can play the game for a few hours during Pre-Alpha, and I'm worried that this system of opening the servers for one day every month will continue. Do any of you guys know if the servers will be on more frequently during Alpha?

Yeah this is just for pre-alpha with the one day a week thing. They may open it up a few more times during the week depending on how things go during the testing, but until alpha comes out they will probably just be doing one - two days a week. Even in Alpha, the servers will probably not be on all the time. I predict they will be on a lot more during alpha (let's say something like 3-4 days a week, and probably in loner stretches of 24-48 hours) but that is really just a guess. They have to rent their servers for the time being, so any time they have them on it is costing them money (and not just in power and upkeep). This means that unless they are gaining from having it on, they want to keep them off as much as possible. Once we get to Beta we will probably start seeing them do a few weeks on at a time. 

Haha, I'm sure you'd get sick of the pre-alpha after awhile if it were 24/7.  I will personally most likely be surfing on the first test unfortunately.  Assuming lee, Marie, or Norma kick up something good :P

But I know I will get a good play through eventually, and that's enough for me.

edit;

talking about the atv test of course.  I rarely know what I'm doing 2 weeks in advance lol.  Hope to make it on the 30th, and maybe the 23rd if it bums out.  At least I'd have DU to make up for it :)

I'm sure the limited play time schedule is to reduce the costs involved. To host a few thousand players in DU, NQ will have to rent a block of cloud servers, which costs money.

So once the initial pre-alpha test on the 30th is done, NQ can look at the cost/benefit analysis and decide what amount of weekly play time is economical.

3 minutes ago, NanoDot said:

I'm sure the limited play time schedule is to reduce the costs involved. To host a few thousand players in DU, NQ will have to rent a block of cloud servers, which costs money.

So once the initial pre-alpha test on the 30th is done, NQ can look at the cost/benefit analysis and decide what amount of weekly play time is economical.

AWS Cluster networking instances (R4, X1, M4, C4, C3, I2, I3, CR1, HS1, P2, G3, F1, and D2) are fairly pricey too (assuming they're going with AWS for the pre-alpha server). 

I'm used to paying 2 to 10 cents per hour on instances, some of those instances vary in price wildly from 10 cents an hour up to 13 dollars an hour (depending on the instance type they'd go with). 

https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/on-demand/
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

15 hours ago, GJKeller said:

I was a bit disappointed to hear that right now there is only 1 day where we can play the game for a few hours during Pre-Alpha, and I'm worried that this system of opening the servers for one day every month will continue. Do any of you guys know if the servers will be on more frequently during Alpha?

Currently there is only  1 first session announced for the pre-alpha test phase. You really should not have the idea you will be able to 'play' the game. This phase will be a lot of downtime, crashes, slowness, lag, bugs, freezes and more nasty stuff, you need to expect to have interruptions. Also I'm not sure where you get he idea they will open up the servers for a few hours on one day per month, can you share a source for that as this says nothing to that effect?

Based on how this first session goes, more (frequent) time-slots will (likely) be made available following a patch/fixes round to the point where (I expect) NQ is confident to have access to the servers up 24/7. 

I doubt it has anything to do with cost and everything with being sure that the servers function and scale as intended. 

While testing the Pre-Alpha of Squad (www.joinsquad.com) the servers started out only being up for short periods of time. OWI were making lots of changes to the game between each session. 

Just like I did with Squad we'll be testing Dual Universe, not really playing the game. We're here to help. Don't worry though. Helping can be very fun and rewarding.

On 9/16/2017 at 9:58 PM, GJKeller said:

At least you got in on that one day, i've been keeping an eye on NQ since before the kickstarter but apparently because i haven't been active much on the forum here I don't qualify.
Just take it and be happy!

I'm not too pissed about it though (jealous but only a bit) ... as @blazemonger puts it perfectly ...

On 9/17/2017 at 1:26 PM, blazemonger said:

You really should not have the idea you will be able to 'play' the game. This phase will be a lot of downtime, crashes, slowness, lag, bugs, freezes and more nasty stuff, you need to expect to have interruptions.

I suspect we should all be looking to really get stuck in some time in the new year when most of the really horrific kinks are worked out.

3 hours ago, TehWardy said:

I suspect we should all be looking to really get stuck in some time in the new year when most of the really horrific kinks are worked out.

Yeah, I am guessing that there isn't going really be a "full game" feel until at least beta.

21 hours ago, Lenux said:

Maybe one day will be enough to experiment the true power of the machine , and eventually to find a lot of bugs , the few hours will be a lot of help for NQ

I can't tell if you're trolling or not ?

24 minutes ago, Lenux said:

No im not trolling im serious x) I think the pre-alpha will be more like a test phase for the server 

Ok, cool. It seemed like at first you were using some advanced sarcasm like... "SURE one day is plenty of time to test all these features". I was dying in laughter. 

But I agree, 1 day I'm sure will help a ton. Hopefully there will be more time in the future though