Collision

I was just reading the wiki about the combat and at the "friendly fire" paragraph I wondered how DU will handle collisions.

So will there be enemy collision?

I think there is but that it will be limited in the sense that you won't be able to ram and destroy a ship with your own ship.

Is this correct?

But more importantly what about friendly collision.

If there are 10 starfighters will it be possible for them to occupy the exact same X,Y,Z coordinates, meaning that there is no friendly collision?

Hey mate, NQ has stated that there will not be collision damage in the game for balance reasons, friendly or otherwise. However, JC mentioned something in a recent dev diary that implied that there may be collision damage from running into the environment, though that is not yet confirmed. 

Also, thanks for mentioning the wiki article on combat. It hadn't been updated in a while, so I went through and edited it heavily. It should be more understandable and clear now (though I'll have to go through and work on it some more shortly). Thanks 

Collision, when it is implemented, will be like Voren said, usually environment <> ship only.

Meaning a ship voxel can't destroy another ship voxel. NQ might change it as they never said a definite no.

And voxel damage will be pretty light, meaning several mega-grams (1 million grams) will be stopped rather quickly, which could allow underground bunkers to be practically invincible from Orbital Mass Weaponry (Forgot the actual name, it's when they send a very dense rod of doom from space).

There is collision damage in the game right now, but it's not on the level of something like in Space Engineers.

When a ship collides with the ground, the voxels aren't damaged, just the elements, which means no deformation. No physical entities are lost, it is merely "digital" damage, if you will, to the elements. This is to prevent players from making physical impact weapons, which would cause a lot of server strain.

As time goes on they do want to add in voxel damage, although I feel it will be limited to a dynamic construct deforming when impacting something static, again to avoid the issue of people making voxel-based impact weapons.

From the July DevDiary:

Giant interrupting embedded video says what...

With no collisions between constructs, ships will just "bounce" off each other, like they do in EVE.

That will probably lead to cheesy tactics like in EVE where a small, fast ship is used to "bump" a large vessel that's aligning for a warp jump, thereby interrupting the big ship's preparation for warp jumping. Players always find ways to "game the system".

And as there are no warp points in DU (because you can just fly anywhere) this tactic won't work that well. 

Plus we don't know if ftl drives have spool up or need to be aligned like in eve, or if you can just fly at a certain speed and start it. 

But yeah, for now it's just bouncing

imo just let players make voxel impact weapons, I don't think they would be that OP.

Building a "missile" ship that kamikazes into an enemy ship is almost always going to be more wasteful than a ship with proper weaponry. A ship with proper weaponry could probably shoot down the "missile" ship before it gets to it.

But hey, if they want to stick with no collision damage that can be fun too, it worked for EVE.

Thanks mates for the replies, but what about "friendly collision"?

Let's assume there are 4 X-wings in space from the same organization. If there is friendly collision, they will be in formation, if there is no friendly collision these 4 will be able to occupy the same X,Y,Z coordinates, be on top of each other and seem like there is one X-wing.

For an actual example of what I am saying think how GW2 works.

1 minute ago, Primary said:

There is impact damage according to one of the videos. There trying to put real impact damage, so I think yes is the answer

They're doing it for elements, not for voxels. And they want to avoid cheap torpedo ships to kill enemy vessels, so no to collision damage at a large scale. Plus it's taxing thethe server

Does the core count as an element? :T

And do the elements themselves have to be hit to take damage? Or does any part of the ship getting hit cause element damage.

I'm asking for a friend ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, Vellnn said:

And do the elements themselves have to be hit to take damage? Or does any part of the ship getting hit cause element damage.

I am pretty sure the core counts as an element. I remember that I have seen a video in which it is called an element.

I can't answer the other question.

6 hours ago, Phaethonas said:

Thanks mates for the replies, but what about "friendly collision"?

Let's assume there are 4 X-wings in space from the same organization. If there is friendly collision, they will be in formation, if there is no friendly collision these 4 will be able to occupy the same X,Y,Z coordinates, be on top of each other and seem like there is one X-wing.

For an actual example of what I am saying think how GW2 works.

No, all voxels (including ships) take up space in the game world. They can't just pass through each other. So no, you can't clip ships into each other to hide their numbers, If you want to dock ships in another ship, you're actually going to have to build passageways, doors, and hangers that can fit them. 

11 hours ago, Vellnn said:

The definition of "element" would be anything that's designed by NQ (as opposed to being made by a player by combining voxels). Core units are designed by NQ, so they are elements.

I think one suggested mechanic is to "spread" the combat damage over an area of the ship near the point of weapon impact. So elements in that area would all take damage on a percentage basis. Point of impact may be no more sophisticated than "the side of the ship facing the incoming damage". I highly doubt that it will be pinpoint accuracy, given that it's all based on target locking, not on manually aimed weapons fire.

Perhaps we'll be able to "lock weapons" on a visibly exposed element like an engine, for instance.

It's all theoretical at the moment, because the PVP mechanics haven't been implemented yet. In fact, those mechanics probably haven't even been designed in any detail at this point, it's all in the "to do" list.