A Massive Project

Sir_Rat

Hello, all!
I am proposing a project for a rather massive structure, gargantuan in scale, design, and function. This project, at its core, is to complete a large, multipurpose space station designed for public utility and financial success. It is, on a higher level, more than a structure, as it is intended to be a realistic effort at achieving a realization of our ideas and projects for grand structures in DU.

In keeping with the same spirit of fairness that is displayed by Novaquark with the game itself, the decisions of this space station's purpose/function, as well as its economic produce, will lie in the hands of those who brought it to being: Its builders and investors (hereafter referred to as shareholders). The net profit of the entire station after its completion will be split among its shareholders, either equally or according to merit, with percentages depending on the number of people who end up getting involved, whilst allocating away 10% of the net profit to leave room for future investors and expansions of the station.

In regards to the station's architecture: the aesthetic design of the station will be ultimately decided by a consensus of its shareholders, as ideas in this area are not lacking. Certain aspects, such as material availability, cost, and architectural practicality, however, may prevent some design proposals from being possible.

Financially, the station will survive on taxes, rent, payments, and/or fees. None of these are requirements, the only requirement being the profit needed for the station's upkeep and the profit desired by its shareholders. The station will allocate 40% gross profit towards physical security (shields, ships, etc), 5% gross profit towards maintenance/repair, and 10% gross profit towards salaries for those who run, guard, and maintain the station, with the remaining 45% being net profit. (These numbers are not final; they only reflect the general idea: security first, then dish out the rest)

While the ultimate goals of this station are to be left up to its shareholders, a few key principles accompany this proposal, namely:
 - The Station must remain politically independent
 - The Station must not act as a military factory for any one organization
 - The Station must not provide refuge for trolls or griefers
A few important distinctions: Political independence is not neutrality, the station can not side with any one org in a conflict but very well may militarily aid multiple orgs. A difference has been assumed between pirates and troll/griefers. Whether the station will be unconditionally neutral or politically active, aid many orgs militarily (through manufacturing, supply, and hangar space) or aid none, or provide political sanctuary with no questions asked, is, of course, left up to the consensus of the shareholders. 

The name of this station has also been left undecided, as this really is a project for everyone. The decision for naming will be put to a vote.

Of course, everyone has many ideas for grand things they want to see in the game. Therein lies the problem: it is very unlikely we will all get opportunities to have our own huge stations and ideas realized and even more unlikely that we will get them exactly as we want. Ultimately, I too want to see some very beautiful and magnificent creations in DU, and I hope that each person or organization who climbs aboard this project can contribute a few of his/her best and most passionate ideas and we can create something that, out of compromise of personal opinion of perfection and mutual contribution of effort, will make future DU players gape at in awe and behold with wonder. I hope we can impress NQ, inspire the rest of the DU community, and fulfill some of our craziest personal space nerd dreams.

My role in this project will be to facilitate the discussion (should anyone take interest) and guide the consensus toward practical options if necessary, as well as manage the upkeep of the physical structure upon completion. This project may be my idea, but the idea of this project is to realize ideas from everyone. The economic and political control of the station will remain with the shareholders.

The blueprint for the station will (hopefully) be completed before release and I plan to take full advantage of the god mode building in pre-alpha as I'm sure some of you do as well. ;)

Let me know what you think of the idea and if you potentially would like to help make it happen! 

Thanks for reading it all
 - Sir_Rat

Outside of the proposal, I personally would love to see the station to serve multiple purposes including, but not limited to, manufacturing, refuge from space pirates for newbies, personal material and ship storage, residential/luxury housing, trading and market hubs, refueling, and hangar space for imperial class vessels, military fleets, and industrial haulers and freighters.

This sounds interesting, I am imagining the massive space station shown in the kickstarter campaign as a concept image.

I would be interesting to help throw ideas around, and the Novark Power Corporation would be interested in helping develop, operate, and maintain the station's power/energy system.

3 hours ago, Sir_Rat said:

Hello, all!
I am proposing a project for a rather massive structure, gargantuan in scale, design, and function. This project, at its core, is to complete a large, multipurpose space station designed for public utility and financial success. It is, on a higher level, more than a structure, as it is intended to be a realistic effort at achieving a realization of our ideas and projects for grand structures in DU.

In keeping with the same spirit of fairness that is displayed by Novaquark with the game itself, the decisions of this space station's purpose/function, as well as its economic produce, will lie in the hands of those who brought it to being: Its builders and investors (hereafter referred to as shareholders). The net profit of the entire station after its completion will be split among its shareholders, either equally or according to merit, with percentages depending on the number of people who end up getting involved, whilst allocating away 10% of the net profit to leave room for future investors and expansions of the station.

In regards to the station's architecture: the aesthetic design of the station will be ultimately decided by a consensus of its shareholders, as ideas in this area are not lacking. Certain aspects, such as material availability, cost, and architectural practicality, however, may prevent some design proposals from being possible.

Financially, the station will survive on taxes, rent, payments, and/or fees. None of these are requirements, the only requirement being the profit needed for the station's upkeep and the profit desired by its shareholders. The station will allocate 40% gross profit towards physical security (shields, ships, etc), 5% gross profit towards maintenance/repair, and 10% gross profit towards salaries for those who run, guard, and maintain the station, with the remaining 45% being net profit. (These numbers are not final; they only reflect the general idea: security first, then dish out the rest)

While the ultimate goals of this station are to be left up to its shareholders, a few key principles accompany this proposal, namely:
 - The Station must remain politically independent
 - The Station must not act as a military factory for any one organization
 - The Station must not provide refuge for trolls or griefers
A few important distinctions: Political independence is not neutrality, the station can not side with any one org in a conflict but very well may militarily aid multiple orgs. A difference has been assumed between pirates and troll/griefers. Whether the station will be unconditionally neutral or politically active, aid many orgs militarily (through manufacturing, supply, and hangar space) or aid none, or provide political sanctuary with no questions asked, is, of course, left up to the consensus of the shareholders. 

The name of this station has also been left undecided, as this really is a project for everyone. The decision for naming will be put to a vote.

Of course, everyone has many ideas for grand things they want to see in the game. Therein lies the problem: it is very unlikely we will all get opportunities to have our own huge stations and ideas realized and even more unlikely that we will get them exactly as we want. Ultimately, I too want to see some very beautiful and magnificent creations in DU, and I hope that each person or organization who climbs aboard this project can contribute a few of his/her best and most passionate ideas and we can create something that, out of compromise of personal opinion of perfection and mutual contribution of effort, will make future DU players gape at in awe and behold with wonder. I hope we can impress NQ, inspire the rest of the DU community, and fulfill some of our craziest personal space nerd dreams.

My role in this project will be to facilitate the discussion (should anyone take interest) and guide the consensus toward practical options if necessary, as well as manage the upkeep of the physical structure upon completion. This project may be my idea, but the idea of this project is to realize ideas from everyone. The economic and political control of the station will remain with the shareholders.

The blueprint for the station will (hopefully) be completed before release and I plan to take full advantage of the god mode building in pre-alpha as I'm sure some of you do as well. ;)

Let me know what you think of the idea and if you potentially would like to help make it happen! 

Thanks for reading it all
 - Sir_Rat

Outside of the proposal, I personally would love to see the station to serve multiple purposes including, but not limited to, manufacturing, refuge from space pirates for newbies, personal material and ship storage, residential/luxury housing, trading and market hubs, refueling, and hangar space for imperial class vessels, military fleets, and industrial haulers and freighters.

Since late 2016 we have had a similar project in mind, have designs and concepts done, just finding the right people to work with on it is the only difficulty...

Sounds like a great idea. Though a few questions come to mind - NQ basically said large stations will be difficult projects to accomplish. That being said I expect a station as large as the one you mentioned will probably require a large (50+) person organization to get it off the ground. You could probably self-fund the build by charging a marginal fee (say, 1-10%) as a tax for using the facilities which would fund the operation.

Just some thoughts, come release of the game I might be interested in lending some assistance to a project of this scope.

Thanks for the replies everyone

2 hours ago, Shadows said:

Sounds like a great idea. Though a few questions come to mind - NQ basically said large stations will be difficult projects to accomplish. That being said I expect a station as large as the one you mentioned will probably require a large (50+) person organization to get it off the ground. You could probably self-fund the build by charging a marginal fee (say, 1-10%) as a tax for using the facilities which would fund the operation.

Just some thoughts, come release of the game I might be interested in lending some assistance to a project of this scope.

Yes, I agree, 50+ people is optimal (and maybe necessary). I have considered contacting builder/contractor orgs, but I really want to keep the spirit of personal passion for the project from everyone involved, as that is a key part of this proposed project.

At 50 people I think you are seriously underestimating just how difficult it will actually be to build something as large as the space station in the demo videos. 

Your sense of scale is skewed because JC doesn't spend a lot of time walking around the surface of the station. The thing is incredibly huge, it's going to take hundreds of players if not thousands to pull off something that large. 

Think about it, you've got to pull all of the resources out of the ground, refine them, and then ship them up into space for use in construction. The entire time you've also got to worry about not only protecting yourselves, but also refueling all of those cargo ships going back and forth, and probably paying people as well. 

It's certainly not just a simple task that 50 people are going to be able to take on. Anyone that has had a chance to play the pre-alpha at Gamescom or PAX, and that managed to fly up to the space station there, can attest to that. 

12 hours ago, yamamushi said:

At 50 people I think you are seriously underestimating just how difficult it will actually be to build something as large as the space station in the demo videos. 

Your sense of scale is skewed because JC doesn't spend a lot of time walking around the surface of the station. The thing is incredibly huge, it's going to take hundreds of players if not thousands to pull off something that large. 

Think about it, you've got to pull all of the resources out of the ground, refine them, and then ship them up into space for use in construction. The entire time you've also got to worry about not only protecting yourselves, but also refueling all of those cargo ships going back and forth, and probably paying people as well. 

It's certainly not just a simple task that 50 people are going to be able to take on. Anyone that has had a chance to play the pre-alpha at Gamescom or PAX, and that managed to fly up to the space station there, can attest to that. 

That's a good point, 50 definitely sounds like it's pushing the limit, but it doesn't take into account how security and transportation can be outsourced with money without requiring more people, or efficient designs, that is, structures with the most volume per area, such as (generally, overall, not exact, obviously) cylinders and spheres, with large open areas inside for storage of massive objects, as well as modular or reusable parts of the interior that are essentially copies of other parts somewhere in the station. Still though, your point is valid, but the massiveness I think is what makes it worth it.

Also if you don't want people building randomly you'll need to coordinate them towards a specific design. How? It's not that easy. If someone makes a mistake, you'll likely lose materials from dismantling (a feature that'll likely be in the game to avoid people from deconstructing their bases before being attacked and rebuilding them easily somewhere else) and if you use a blueprint so that everyone knows where to place the voxels, you still need to create it first, with a small group of people and a clear idea in mind (means a lot more time needed)

Its worth noting I said, "Get it off the ground". Assuredly a station of that scale would not only take a massive amount of time, but a perpetual income. I expect a smaller but efficient station that upgrades into a larger one is the best option. Actually one that can be built in stages would be the best in the long run I expect.

In one of the interviews I am sure they said it would take a year for players to build a space station like the one in the video but I am sure that time could be shortened depending how many people are working on it and the availability of resources.

29 minutes ago, Shadows said:

Its worth noting I said, "Get it off the ground". Assuredly a station of that scale would not only take a massive amount of time, but a perpetual income. I expect a smaller but efficient station that upgrades into a larger one is the best option. Actually one that can be built in stages would be the best in the long run I expect.

I  think this might be the best option for most or you could build a smaller station with a modular concept to expand over time. 

9 hours ago, GunDeva said:

In one of the interviews I am sure they said it would take a year for players to build a space station like the one in the video but I am sure that time could be shortened depending how many people are working on it and the availability of resources.

I  think this might be the best option for most or you could build a smaller station with a modular concept to expand over time. 

9 hours ago, Shadows said:

Thanks for the replies!

These are good ideas. Shadow, yes the idea is to perpetually self fund the station with taxes or payments from those who use it. As for the modular design, that sounds very interesting, and the definition of modular could go multiple ways: you could build independent sections within the same construct, or seamlessly connect multiple constructs with interlocking shapes (I dont know if this has been touched on in the forums, if someone knows it has please link it). In the pre-alpha/alpha I plan to check out the prospect of interlocking constructs, which, for all intents and purposes, would make the destruction of the entire station much much more difficult to achieve, though it could make managing the different sectors or modules more difficult, if it's even possible.