Ground vehicles

PoisonKitchen

The reason wheels are not on the near horizon is because of server stress. The constant physics of bouncing and conformity with the ground of a vehicle would be a lot to handle.

Imagine someone making a platform with 1000 wheels, running over some rocky terrain. It would be a huge amount of unnecessary physics calculations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 5:02 PM, ATMLVE said:

Imagine someone making a platform with 1000 wheels, running over some rocky terrain. It would be a huge amount of unnecessary physics calculations.

Probably wheeled vehicles shouldn't be too big and at least in early versions. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, unown006 said:

What about track verticals? or thread tanks?

Thats still ground contact which is heavy on the servers and unlikely to be included any time soon, if ever.

Wheels , rotors , treads or some of the worst things to have in a voxel type of game it has caused nothing but bugs and server problems not to mention in a sci-fi futuristic game would they really still be using things like wheels , treads , and rotors in a advance future setting ?

I personally would expect to see more anti-gravity and hover jet type technologies being used.

9 hours ago, GunDeva said:

Wheels , rotors , treads or some of the worst things to have in a voxel type of game it has caused nothing but bugs and server problems not to mention in a sci-fi futuristic game would they really still be using things like wheels , treads , and rotors in a advance future setting ?

I personally would expect to see more anti-gravity and hover jet type technologies being used.

It all depends on economics, really.

In RL, nobody uses expensive solutions if there are cheaper ones available, even if the cheaper ones are "not quite as good". The tech that yields the best ROI is always the most widely used (outside of military applications, of course).

We had supersonic passenger planes decades ago (Concorde), but we have no commercial supersonic planes anymore, because they are currently uneconomical.

Let's face it, we basically have the capability to colonise Mars right now, and we would if there was obvious profit to be made...

16 hours ago, GunDeva said:

True A friend asked me about it So now I can give a anwser

18 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

Thats still ground contact which is heavy on the servers and unlikely to be included any time soon, if ever.

Just a thought 

One of the positive aspects of a ground wheeled vehicle is that needs less energy to move. But if the possible server overload is prohibitive because of the extensive physics calculations i could live without. But an answer from the devteam could enlighten us in this regard.

21 hours ago, iroker said:

I know that, the question was if this is a software/server limitation or not.

Its not a limitation, it is however a massive server performance hit NQ doesnt want to deal with as they have more important things to handle  :)

It's better to let NQ implement common space crafts and finish solid mechanics for them and then add more stuff as increment, rather than try to do everything at once. There is no point in adding more content that doesn't work fine and causes issues. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think tha track are a good Idea but unfotunately It won't be implemented, just for the physics calculations that are required and that will lag out the server.  The hoverpads are also a very nice option fro ground vehicles since there is a lot of things to do with them.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:06 AM, Sparktacus said:

Yeah, solution there is hoverpads, with round voxel "wheels" hiding them.

Did someting similar in empyrion to make an E:D rover

Maybe you can personally do that but the devs are gonna make hover pads, just hover pads

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I would deem wheels pretty theme/immersion-breaking anyways. It's supposed to be the future, not a probe-landing-on-mars-aesthetic.

Hover, and only hover, will give a nice, cool sci-fi feel to the ground as well.