Construct copyrights

NanoDot

If I buy a ship blueprint copy from another player and build that ship, what are the copyright protections going to be ?

Can I customize the ship I built from the BPC ? Can I add voxels and swap out elements, for instance ?

And once I've modified that construct, am I now the new "creator" of the modified construct ?

Can I now create a new master blueprint and start selling BPC's of my "improved design" ? I'd certainly hope not...

Or is a construct "locked" against voxel or element changes by the new owner ?

Lua scripts should probably be exempted from construct locks, but changing those shouldn't give you the option of creating a new blueprint of the construct itself.

Would be cool if a blueprint kept a log of builders, and when it is sold the profit is split according to how much work was done to the blueprint. So if someone buys a blueprint and changes 1% then resells it, they only get 1% of the profit while the original blueprint "inventor" gets the other 99%.

There can also be a cap, like maybe the split stops at 1/2 profit for the first "innovator", to keep someone from just trying to edit out the "inventor" entirely. If another "innovator" wants to edit the edited blueprint then the max that person can get is 1/3 profit and so on and so forth. That way the "inventor" always has an equal or larger slice plus some free marketing and distribution.

If cap is there, then, most likely, in the case of the re-sellers, the blueprints closest to the original would probably have more value. At that point, the "inventor" can build to its heart's content since it has a constant influx of currency with little effort, beyond making new blueprints that have to be popular to continue the cycle.

The only downside i can see to this i when another can of worms is added to the mix. Like you make a whole ship from scratch but use a blueprint of ,say for example, a small painting to decorate it. Maybe the the cap would be applied to the sum of the material to make the blueprint. So if the painting, unedited, was 100 voxels and the ship is 10000 the inventor of the painting only gets 1% of the profit since it only accounts for 1% of the total build.

And i don't even want to think about frankenstein-ing a ship together from the pieces of several other ship blueprints. Best i can come up with is determining the percentage of each blueprint is part of the whole then adjusting for the innovator cap. So if someone used 6 blueprints, ownership of the 6 would be split accordingly and the innovator's share could go up to 1/7th of the total profit.

Edited by Squishimus
Lot of edits as the idea was getting fleshed out and fixing typos

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for posting on a kinda old thread; But I believe I heard what Lethys said, but a bit more so. That there will be a permissions system, so you can choose if people are allowed to edit it, and maybe define how far they can edit it. Like if they can change logos, or the LUA, etc. Maybe the blueprint can be copied, maybe it cannot; Maybe it can be transferred, maybe it cannot; From what I think I heard in past devblogs, is there'll be quite a nice permissions system behind nearly everything.

I apologize if I wind up being wrong. But, I think the real question is if they will be a thing on your HDD, or if it's an actual item in the game, that can be stolen.

Watching the Videos and other associated clips of JC Dev, blogs and independent videos, JC has himself mentioned that the Blueprints will be physical objects that they intend for it to be possible to be stolen in game and that they will be tied to your character not downloadable. JC also mentioned that they will be in your inventory or something to that effect.

The Blueprints will have a master BP that you can make copies of and sell off to others, as a once off build or editable build depending on what you set....again they are still working on the finer points but the idea is there and will be available at some point for us to "explore possibilities".

As the Master BP and other BP's can be stolen so keep them safe :-) All your BP are belong to us... make you time.