2 hours ago, Neolithic said:

Is alpha going to be the same thing as space engineers, but without damage?

Are you referring to pre-alpha, alpha-1 or alpha-2 ? :D

DU will not have damage from collision between constructs. Crashing a construct into the ground or into an asteroid will cause damage though. There will obviously be no combat damage until the PVP mechanics are implemented.

Pre-alpha will basically be a "creative mode" where players get given unlimited resources to experiment and build whatever they want. Players will also be able to create blueprints of their constructs, which they'll be able to keep permanently. Beyond that there are no other game systems implemented yet AFAIK. However, constructs built in the alpha stages will be lost, because there will be server wipes between the development stages.

During alpha 1 and alpha 2, more systems will be added incrementally, such as scanning, mining, markets, skill training, etc. We don't have a roadmap as yet, so it's not clear yet what is planned to be added at each stage.

Once the basics are reasonably stable, NQ will probably start on the PVP implementation, which sounds like it's planned for late alpha-2.

SE barely can handle 20 players for longer than a week.. so NO, DU is well ahead :P

As far as damage go, it's a crucial difference how both games handle that, one is designed to handle heavy load another (as I would argue is more realistic) will never make possible for SE to become anything else but casual co-op. Why is not realistic? Because once server begins to feel a load things are shaking jumping and spinning out of control that you are better of without any physics as oppose to unrealistic one.

lol.. 20? I have a very decent server running and it barfs when we'e co-op building with 4 players with all sorts of weird things happening.. And it's always fun to take a seat at the bridge, then get up and find yourself outside the ship.. Or try using a jump drive while not in a seat ..Poof.. there goes your ship while you stay behind adrift in space .. lol..

It's been worse though.. much worse..

And doing a daily restart of the server would generally not be a bad idea and is basically common practice (I would expect DU to do the same).

The TL;DR of what everyone else said: No. DU will be kinda like space engineers, but with a speed limit like 20x greater, no impact damage, much tinier "blocks", and thousands of players on the same server, which (generally) doesn't reset. 

With multinode server technology able to shut down any node or add dynamically at any time.. I believe there will be no shutdowns even if they need to restart nodes once in a while. Other instances will take a load. But well lets wait just few weeks to see it in practice :)

Wait? We get creative?

Like unlimited stuff?

Who wants to make junkyards to mess around in?

14 minutes ago, yamisniper said:

i really think travel times are going to be to long for that

We're all going to be in the same 100km-ish planet.

Is not how it works, you don't travel from sector to sector handled by different nodes, its a server that share the load and dynamically assign people based on where they are, Dynamically dividing space. So nobody will travel for glitches ;).

2k of us can be next to ark ship or spread across entire universe doesn't matter.

Lets say 20 nodes/100 players each will be assigned to node based on proximity.

If this is not good enough you can add more nodes. Spread the load.

Indeed the worst case scenario is, when everyone is at the same spot. Because even if smaller groups of people are being handled by different nodes, even if you have less frequent updates of people in visible range but physically handled by another node(s), nodes needs to send all data across. The part you sending it less frequently is clever, because greater delay will happen there anyway.

If we will spread and cannot see each other, that's a perfect scenario, because lets say small group of players went to different planet alone. They simply have dedicated node for themselves while still share same universe. Nodes do not have to communicate. Nobody cares if they dig up there or not. (as oppose to SE multiplayer solution ;) )

So... Arkship and surroundings will be a true stress test of what this system is capable of. Once we will start spreading we actually making server life easier.

4 minutes ago, yamisniper said:

i know >.> im saying we might not all be on the same planet for long in pre alpha

I love exploring, but I'll probably do very little of that in pre-alpha. I don't see the point, if everything will be wiped and regenerated (possibly differently) at the end of pre-alpha.

The only benefit of leaving Alioth in pre-alpha will be sightseeing for the sake of it.

My priority will be learning to use the building tools.

1 minute ago, NanoDot said:

I love exploring, but I'll probably do very little of that in pre-alpha. I don't see the point, if everything will be wiped and regenerated (possibly differently) at the end of pre-alpha.

The only benefit of leaving Alioth in pre-alpha will be sightseeing for the sake of it.

My priority will be learning to use the building tools.

my priority is testing to see if its possible to touch the ground from space . will have to learn building tools in the process

On 14/09/2017 at 8:56 PM, NanoDot said:

There will probably be wipes and issues through Alpha and possibly into beta so that will be a while. I fully intent to start playing how I intend to on release to gain both experience and be able to offer suggestions and report issues as I go along.. That is the whole point of this phase, not to stay in the safe zone and build ships only to never use them..