Best Way to Learn C#? (In Unity)

Kuritho

Halloooo!

I'm Kuritho, a fucking self-destroying cuck person trying to learn C# for small projects such as finding out nuclear launch-codes making a bad model of a solar system, how various thrust works, bullet calculations, ect. All the goodie physics that I am so horrible at.

I'm (almost) a complete beginner and I'm wondering:

Where should I start with? Is "Hello World" really the best option?

Are there any recommended plugins for Unity?

If you're a student, many institutions give you free access to Lynda.com.  Which is a great learning resource for programming.  There are also many phenomanal youtubers who dedicate their channel solely to learning about programming.  Names aren't coming into my head, I might check later if no one can come up with one.

Just now, Hades said:

If you're a student, many institutions give you free access to Lynda.com.  Which is a great learning resource for programming.  There are also many phenomanal youtubers who dedicate their channel solely to learning about programming.  Names aren't coming into my head, I might check later if no one can come up with one.

If you link me your channel, I can snoop through your subscriptions?

I've never gotten into subbing on YouTube unfortunately.  Probably a useful feature, especially if you want to look back on things :P

I'll take a look later, see if I can't find a good YouTuber for ya.

Just now, Hades said:

I've never gotten into subbing on YouTube unfortunately.  Probably a useful feature, especially if you want to look back on things :P

I'll take a look later, see if I can't find a good YouTuber for ya.

I already have Brackeys, which helped with some of Unity's more confusing features.

thenewboston is one I have used extensively in the past.  Right click and copy the video url if you want a direct link to the playlist.  Has literally hundreds of videos on C#

I was just going to suggest thenewboston.

Alternatively, as most people hate to have referenced to them, but all people need to read, here are the docs for the programming language you are trying to learn. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/csharp/

Keep in mind, to develop in C# for unity, you should probably be looking at Unity tutorials, which I have here. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1b66Z1KFKik2g8D4wrmYj4yein4rCk8

Additionally, you could consider adding the Unity documentation to your list of things to do. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/index.html

Now, with all that, you are probably going to be left spinning around in a circle without any knowledge of where to start, because I don't blame you. I had the same thought when learning this sorts of stuff. So, I would recommend the following.

Start off with a skill that you can use almost anywhere. C# via thenewboston videos and the microsoft documentation is a great place. It gives you skills that you can use both for unity and for other use cases, such as applications.

After you think you have enough experience in C#, try Unity. If you find you do not, go back to step one. Rinse and repeat until you do have enough experience. Take a look at both the Unity video tutorials and documentation, and try to design a simple, easy to understand game.

After all that, you might be getting somewhere. Given years of experience, hard work, and time invested, you can finally design something that resembles a game!