Novaquark Monetization  

Captain_Hilts

I am super excited for this game, and really want to see it succeed - we all know for that to happen Novaquark will need to be able to make enough money to continue to work on the game - pay their taxes, pay their expenses, pay their employees, and make a profit.

So what are some creative ways Novaquark could generate more income from the game while making it more accessible to a larger player base?

What’s my interest in this? Well making the game more affordable for me duh.

But besides that I want to see this succeed long term. And I see a larger player base as really beneficial to the vision of the game. Emergent gameplay in a universe where players are working together to rebuild civilization.

So here goes.

1 IRL integration into the VR game world. EG Amazon / Ebay ITunes Noisetrade Netflix - generic advertising - Social networking - online dating.

• Restrictions - it would have to be limited as to when and where it can appear (no pop up ads while I’m dog fighting)  And everything would have to participate in a role playing way. In other words fitting into the story of the game world.

For example, say I own a huge city - the DU equivalent of Jita. Now Logitech wants to advertise their products to the many people that live in or travel through my city. So they pay Novaquark to advertise in the game and get the ability to put their ads in the places I’ve set up in my city for advertising. They would then need to create ads that role play to the story of DU. And finally if I as a player get enough ad revenue going to Novaquark from my city I get some kind of in game rewards - like free play time / ship decals etc. I know JC has talked about the social networking part being a dream in the future; so maybe this could happen. The more I think about this - I have mixed feelings about it. It definitely needs to be done right - and if done wrong could definitely mess things up.

2 VR (in game) shopping. First off I am AGAINST buying game play advantage (other than play time) and gladly JC has said the same. So basically we are talking about in game decorative elements available to purchase.

For example you could buy a new awesome gun model. It wouldn’t be more effective (the only way to do that would be upgrading your skills and tech by playing the game) but it would be way “cooler”. People like paying for pretty things and exclusive things.  Other examples would be things to bling out your Avatar, Ship, or Base.

I’m not sure what I think about people buying this stuff to sell in game for game play advantage.

Maybe just make pricing such that that is a stupid strategy. I don’t know. Or just make it that purchased items cannot be sold in game. (ie my ship decal stays with me if I sell my ship)

3 Leveraging player created content. Here I’m not talking about things created in game; those kind of things would be sold in game with in game currency. I’m talking about things players create outside of the game and submit to Novaquark to have their cool thing added to the game.

Novaquark would set up guidelines for compatibility with their system (format, data limit, bandwidth, creative vision etc) then I would create a cool decal that I want to put on my ship. I submit it to Novaquark for compatibility testing. (this part I don’t know how well this would work. Would Novaquark be able to do the work of testing all these submissions - and would it be worthwhile?)  Anyway - it passes compatibility testing. Then I pay Novaquark to get to use it on my stuff in game. A higher price if I want it to be just exclusive to me - a lesser price if I want Novaquark to sell it to other players in game.

This could potentially go so far as to include modders coming up with new features or even gameplay elements / mechanics. If it passes testing (technically / game play balance / and fits Novaquark’s vision for DU) then I would pay to have my “cool thing” added to the game. Basically you’re allowing the community to create bling and content to financially support the game and make things look “cooler”

4 A modification to the monthly subscription model. A way to get income from those who can’t handle the monthly subscription.

There are so many people I know or have heard of that would be really into this game but can’t get around the monthly subscription idea. At $10/month that is $120/year. That’s a lot compared to other full price games at $60 that you can play for years.

And for someone who is only able to play 2 hours/week ($1.16/hr) that’s too much to pay. While someone playing 200hrs/month is really getting their money’s worth ($0.05/hr over the course of a year).

So my friends that I’m trying to get to play this game with me are saying -

“Why should I be punished for not being able to play like a professional gamer 300 hours/month - even though I am willing to pay upfront for a ‘full-price’ game. And I can see their point.

However I see Novaquark’s perspective too.

DU is not like say COD where you can have people playing the same game 4 years later at no additional cost because COD has so many people buying their “new” version each year at full price plus DLC. DU may not have as much ‘mass appeal’ as COD and you won’t be able to play ‘the original version’ 3 years from now. Each new update will be the only option available.

So here is my proposed solution -

For $10 you get

Unlimited hours and 1 month to use it = $120/yr (this is the baseline Novaquark has already announced)

6X hours and 2 month to use it = $60/yr (this seems to be somewhat a generic full price for a traditional game)

3X hours and 4 month to use it = $30/yr

X hours and 6 month to use it = $20/yr            

Depending on Novaquark’s cost for maintaining data for an offline player + cost per hour of an online player + development and all other business costs; that will determine the value for X .

I do not have such information.

But perhaps it could look something like this.

For $10 you get

Unlimited hours and 1 month to use it = $120/yr (this is the baseline Novaquark has already announced)

300 hours and 2 month to use it = $60/yr   1800hr/yr

150 hours and 4 month to use it = $30/yr   450hr/yr

50 hours and 6 month to use it = $20/yr    100hr/yr        

If this setup doesn’t meet Novaquark’s income needs - I would propose adjusting the “hours” numbers not the price per month / price per year. (assuming of course that $10/month and unlimited hours is a good baseline)

If you were to purchase the lowest tier and exceed it you would just be automatically bumped up to the next level.

Such that once you spent $120 you would have unlimited hours and until the 1 year anniversary of your first purchase to use it.

Hopefully you get the concept anyway.

5 VR(in game) space tourism. This idea would be different than the free trial period. This would be at some point when DU is famous and some casual outsider wants to see what’s up. So they sign up to be a virtual tourist. They pay Novaquark a small amount $1-$3/hr. Another player in game would need to be their tour guide. That player would show them around to all the famous places and creations - and help them experience various aspects of the game. They wouldn’t be allowed to roam around independently of their tour guide - but they could do things more at the tour guide’s skill level (with some restrictions). For example IRL I can pay to go to a gun range and shoot a .50 Cal or Minigun - but I can’t really own one myself. Other things to do in game would be additional charges (like tourist places do) The player who was the tour guide would promote / show off / try to get people interested in the game. If the tour guide is successful / popular they get in game rewards.

How about advertising on in game screens.

NQ have already talked about screen components and the ability to create programs on virtual computers with LUA. 
They have also talked about how that content is literally HTML.

So any existing advertising platforms could easily be ported to run in the game or they could build a new one and sell the advertising space.

Much like in futuristic movies where you see space mounted billboards, you could get "credit" for showing ads to a user on the side of a building you own (like maybe each time a user flies a ship within x number of feet of a billboard you mount on the side of a building you get another 1 minute of rent paid on the land or something and NQ get real money for serving up ads.

I'm not normally a fan of advertising but this would make for more real looking game environment (think times square type scenarios).

The same ads could be piped in to screens mounted around ships or space stations.

Obviously there would have to be some control on how they reward players to prevent spamming of advertising all over ship designs as cash cows (or would they). 

So, they had a successful Kickstarter and crowd funding campaign and private investors on top of it. I'm pretty sure development is set, especially since there will be supporter packs soon. Following that DACs and straight gametime purchases is probably planned on covering future upkeep of the server cluster. Not entirely sure when or if they will lack funds but i don't think any special purchases outside game time, DACS and supporter packs are necessary, i mean it's likely there will be merchandise anyways 

13 minutes ago, Zamarus said:

So, they had a successful Kickstarter and crowd funding campaign and private investors on top of it. I'm pretty sure development is set, especially since there will be supporter packs soon. Following that DACs and straight gametime purchases is probably planned on covering future upkeep of the server cluster. Not entirely sure when or if they will lack funds but i don't think any special purchases outside game time, DACS and supporter packs are necessary, i mean it's likely there will be merchandise anyways 

My thought behind all this nonsense is

1 to make Novaquark successful long term - meaning DU will stick around long term.

2 to make the game financially accessible to a larger player base  - which I believe will make for a better game.

I don't think it has anything to do with making DU stick around long term. Eve and WoW have been around for a long time with subscription, and the size of their player base isn't an issue. Actually Eve's player base is back to the level it was before they went to limited free-to-play. DACs are DU's free to play system. Even if you use one every 2 months or 3 months, you're still paying less. Plus NQ wants to provide quality support.

I'm against the idea of any IRL advertising.

Whether voluntary or not  - I already see enough advertising in real life.
Why should I watch (real) advertising in a game? If that were the case, then I demand low monthly fees for the game.

And now let's look at the lore:
The lore says that the world we know will no longer exist. So were we supposed to represent real products that will no longer exist in this world?

I'm against it.

To be honest ... I don't like seeing advertising anywhere but it's reality these days, and I see no reason why advertising wouldn't be a thing in the new DU universe even though the whole universe is basically being built from scratch.

Given that we are all used to seeing advertising if controlled it could be a good revenue stream for NQ.

Given the player led nature of the content maybe this is something players may choose to do in order to generate revenue to fund their own subscriptions.

I would say ... make it possible, but not a requirement.

If you don't like someone's advertising ... there' always the "declare war" option right?

Lore wise it doesn't make any sense, that's true

Plus you have to make absolutely sure that no one can RMT DU to death - which will happen at some point with such a system.

As for the playtime idea: please no. You pay because the servers are running 24/7. Your skills train with time. All your work is stored on the server. There will be patches (for free). So if someone plays 50h/year or 2000h/year doesn't matter - we're all in the same world with the same rules. You just can't split the playerbase or server into some guys who pay full, some who pay a little less and some who don't pay much at all.

Technically there's nothing stopping a company from paying you IRL to go into the game and put up a billboard with their ad on it.

This wouldn't help NQ make money, but individual players/orgs could make ad revenue. However NQ would be within their rights to not allow IRL companies to advertise in-game.

That is just not going to happen. Ads and all the stuff you mentioned ruin the game and it's not even going to be enough to mantain their expenses. Also F2p means cheaters and bots. F2p always means lower quality compared to a p2p counterpart. Du is P2P.

Now to quote your 4th point "4 A modification to the monthly subscription model. A way to get income from those who can’t handle the monthly subscription."

You can, just grind more and buy yourself a DAC from other players. 

Liek with the other threads, matey, you didn't bother looking uip if NQ has replied on this.

They don't want a cosmetic shop. The DAC system is more than enough to generate extra revenue. 

Also, Player Studio for Everquest 2 and Planetside 2 ruined the games as of performance. You know, 1 billion different meshes means 1 billion different system + memroy calls.

Also, I get that you are not a gamer, and that you have zero  context of why these ideas are bad given the COUNTLESS times they were implemented and failed, but saying "modding for an MMO iun a single-shard" is like saying "HEY, LET'S MAKE THE GAME CLIENT 100 TERABYTES BIG! IT WILL BE FUN GUYS! POPPING TEXTURES AND 1 HOUR LOADING SCREENS ARE NICE!!! :D "

Also, on the "Subscription" model you expressed... you seem to not have EVER used a subscription model. Your "6X hours, 2 months to use it for 60 USD a year" is the epitomy of what's wrong with you F2P crowd. 60 USD at the current model gets you 6 months of unlimited play. 6 Months, no limits on hours. 

You could rname this post "Soup of all the Monetisation Plans for MMOS that lead the game to F2P death, All in One Thread!"

Also, let me introduce you to the world of money - or why you should do research on what you speak of.

Call of Duty is an annual franchise, with Season Pass - that not many pass over (puns) . That brings the game up to (or around to) 100 USD - 120 USD in price. If you buy the Expansions seperately, you will pay 110 USD to 130 USD.

Remember, this is an annual franchise, people buy it annually to get the next piece of regurgitated crap Infinity Ward puts out with Activision's blessing.

So, if Call of Duty was a "free to try, subscription to play game with free expansions" but the same price range... it would come down to 10 USD a month subscription (120 USD a year).

That's DU. A "free to try, subscription to play game with free expansions". I know, shocking, DU costs like a Triple-A title every six months? How dare they create a unique idea of a game and want to make a profit out of it. They should be happy with starving to death.

One month of the game costs 13 USD to play (10 USD if you buy in bulk). That's 3 cups out of Starbucks that will last you for 5 hours tops in total?  You mean to tell me that the "13 USD sub" is not something people can afford... but a 20 USD costume for their in-game character is something they will afford?

Also, your VR Tourism idea is known as "TwitchTV".

All in all, this thread is a nice Subscription / F2P thread disguised to look as a cash shop "whale hunt" suggestion.

Final Score on the Thread:

9 / 10 for effort and write-up.

8 / 10 for delaying the hot topic most of the thought process went to for the sublatteral part of the post (Partial Subscription that makes no sense when you scale it to the current price range of subscriptions O_o ?! ).

1 / 10 for fact checking or knowing how monetisation works in any video game.

Cheerios to you sir.

I’m not sure why you assume I have not read all of Novaquark’s articles and watched all the videos or use the search function for the forum. Indeed I have done all of those. Perhaps I fail to remember details I’ve read from time to time - or express similar ideas with different words (thus not finding them in the forum search),

But I think that is largely irrelevant - these are my own ideas, thoughts and perspective not Novaquark’s, - other people may or may not have thought the same things. I merely desire to share my thoughts with you all.

14 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

They don't want a cosmetic shop. The DAC system is more than enough to generate extra revenue. 

Actually that’s incorrect - if you would read this devblog post ; p

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/04/08/monetization-player-happiness-and-economic-viability/

You would see this. 

Possible (cosmetic only) Cash Shop. If deployed, we will make it in order that every month, players who have paid a subscription will be able to get some cash shop items for free.

The argument that I am advocating concepts that have been tried before and failed therefore don’t advocate them anymore is invalid.

The whole idea of this game is something that has never been accomplished before.

Yes take a look at why it’s failed before. Yes take a look at what the real problems are with these ideas. But don’t assume that solutions to problems cannot be found.

Also, Player Studio for Everquest 2 and Planetside 2 ruined the games as of performance. You know, 1 billion different meshes means 1 billion different system + memroy calls.

Yes that is the obvious hurdle to overcome for player created content. I guess where we differ is you are like ‘can’t be done ever’  -- I’m like what are the solutions to overcoming this hurdle. These same types of limitations are what would lead one to think DU could never actually be a thing - yet here we are. Now is the time to look for solutions to old problems not say -- the way they did it in the past is the only way and that didn’t work.

One month of the game costs 13 USD to play (10 USD if you buy in bulk). That's 3 cups out of Starbucks that will last you for 5 hours tops in total?  You mean to tell me that the "13 USD sub" is not something people can afford... but a 20 USD costume for ther in-game character is something they will afford?

Actually no - I mean to say some people buy a Starbucks 1 a week others 1 a day. Giving your customers different price point options gets you a wider customer base. It’s just common sense sales. Which I’m sure Novaquark has thought plenty about - they’re pretty smart guys; and know all the details of what it will take to make their business profitable in their context. I as an outsider am just offering my perspective as a customer. It’s a fact that there are a lot of people for whom this game is outside of their price point.

It may be that the cost of servers for this tech is so high that this is the only choice. I’m merely suggesting possible solutions. Of course Novaquark needs to cover their costs and make a profit.  

How dare they create a unique idea of a game and want to make a profit out of it. They should be happy with starving to death.

Yep, yep that is totally what I said; you can read almost the exact same words here.

19 hours ago, Captain_Hilts said:

I am super excited for this game, and really want to see it succeed - we all know for that to happen Novaquark will need to be able to make enough money to continue to work on the game - pay their taxes, pay their expenses, pay their employees, and make a profit.

Callt of Duty is an annual franchise, with Season Pass - that not many pass over (puns) . That brings the game up to (or around to) 100 USD - 120 USD in price. If you buy the Expansions seperately, you will pay 110 USD to 130 USD.

Remember, this is an annual franchise, people buy it annually to get the next piece of regurgitated crap Infinity Ward puts out with Activision's blessing.

So, if Call of Duty was a "free to try, subscription to play game with free expansions" but the same price range... it would come down to 10 USD a month subscription (120 USD a year).

Yep I agree. With the exception that - not everyone who enjoys playing COD falls into the trap of buying each repeat/expansion whatever; and thus can enjoy it for a one time cost.  Pretty much what I said here.

However I see Novaquark’s perspective too.

DU is not like say COD where you can have people playing the same game 4 years later at no additional cost because COD has so many people buying their “new” version each year at full price plus DLC. DU may not have as much ‘mass appeal’ as COD and you won’t be able to play ‘the original version’ 3 years from now. Each new update will be the only option available.

Great so we agree COD and DU have a similar price point at the high end.
And we agree that DU cannot allow people to play a 3 year old version of the game like is possible with other games.

So I’m just suggesting  a possible way Novaquark could also offer lower price point options.

When you offer a product at a lower price point you don’t just give the same thing for a cheaper price.

Obviously you would loose money that way.

No your lower price point products have less value to the customer and less cost to you - so you can still make a profit at the lower price. That’s why the cheaper options in my proposal have a limit to how much you can play. If you want unlimited hours you have to pay more.

Now how much you would have to restrict cheaper options would have to be determined by Novaquark.

That’s why I said.

Depending on Novaquark’s cost for maintaining data for an offline player + cost per hour of an online player + development and all other business costs; that will determine the value for X .

I haven’t seen Novaquark talk about these details. And I would be surprised if they did. I would be very interested to read it if that is around somewhere.

Point me to it.

I mean their annual taxes, salaries, business operating expenses, server costs, cost per offline player, cost per online player, forecasted number of players buying the game, forecasted number of offline and online players at any given time. Those are the things you need to know to figure how much to charge and make a profit.

Maybe after all those calculations you get to where they are right now and determine that $10/month subscription is the only viable way.

If that ends up being the case then I’ll dump my Eve subscription and pay $120 or whatever a year. And none of my friends will join me. Just the way it is - they’re not second class people for saying that is outside of their price point. And Novaquark is not evil for doing what it takes to be a successful business. Just calm down.

I have no way of knowing these details so I’m just offering a concept as a possible solution from my perspective.

15 hours ago, Shynras said:

You can, just grind more and buy yourself a DAC from other players.

Of course that is an option for people with lots of time to play; and their reward for building up the game universe.

That could work for a kid living at home with nothing to do. Doesn’t work so well for people with families expenses and limited time for playing games.

All in all good criticisms from smart people. And mostly I agree with the concerns brought up. Good on ya for not looking at ideas with rose colored glasses - but critically looking at the problems.

Just don’t be negative nancy’s - critically looking at problems shouldn’t automatically lead to “it can’t be done”

It should make you aware that there is a problem in the way - and help you see how to overcome it.

It seems the one thing I disagree with a lot of you is the benefit of a large player base. Seems a lot of you have the perspective the cost level has the added benefit of keeping unwanted riff raff out. While I agree there are certain people you want to keep out. I think it would be better to rely on other methods to achieve that - not just cost.
BECAUSE - I believe that a larger player base would improve what this game is trying to be and make for much deeper and more dynamic emergent gameplay.

That is the primary reason I started thinking about these things.

On a final note - I appreciate people who bluntly speak their minds and I get great enjoyment out of a good argument - so thanks and carry on.
I apologize if my response is anything less then the appropriate level of tact - sometimes because the way I enjoy arguments people think I am offended -

that is not my intent at all.

Fly Wrecklessly,

Semper Fidelis,

Captain Hilts

8 minutes ago, Captain_Hilts said:

Actually no - I mean to say some people buy a Starbucks 1 a week others 1 a day. Giving your customers different price point options gets you a wider customer base. It’s just common sense sales.

Which they do. If you pay per month you end up paying 15€. If you pay yearly you end up paying 10€. You have choices.

12 minutes ago, Captain_Hilts said:

Of course that is an option for people with lots of time to play; and their reward for building up the game universe.

That could work for a kid living at home with nothing to do. Doesn’t work so well for people with families expenses and limited time for playing games.

If you have a family, expenses and limited gametime but can't afford 10 or 15€ per month, you shouldn't play video games. Get your life sorted first. As I said in another thread about this "mimimimimi, I don't want to P2P": I smoke and the sub is 3 packets of cigarettes. That's ~ 3 days worth of coffin nails which I could just NOT smoke and instead pay my sub. I would do smth for my health and as a side benefit could play DU. But hey, that's just me - people spend more money on bullshit which they don't even realize.

You just have to look at some very basic and very simplified numbers (just to get an idea): 25 employees, think the std rate for dev is 100k per year = 2,5million. +office +electricity + server +PR +other expanses.

with 50k (!!!) ppl playing they would get 6million. Which would barely cover everything imho

@Captain_Hilts 

You don't really do look up things in general. There has been talks of monetisation and NQ has been responding toh those for the past year. They have no plans for a cash shop.

Also, people claimed DU can't happen due to them not knowing WTF Actor Model is, or how blockchains work. Having 1 million 3D Mesh objects means your RAM has to load 1 millino 3D Mesh modesl for 1mmilion playeers. If it has to run only 50 or 100 predetermined models, it can paste a n instance of that model over anyone else in the vicity.

It's the same reason EVE Online's store doesn't sell you anything other than textures. Textures cost nothing memory-wise compoared to 3D Solids. And even thern, in a 500 v 500 people flee,t the amount og different textures make the game run like ass. Voxel constructs do niot follow that rule, as Voxel Constructs are 1 voxel ctype pasted over many times. Which is where the inherit issue with people who don't understand how VRAM allocation happens who claim "DU can't happen, cause tere's not enouh RAM / VRAM for it".

Go and tell your landlord "hello sir, since I only sleep here on this room for 5 hours a day and I only spent 3 hours wake in it, I would like to pay only 1/3 of the Rent". Go ahead, do it. It will work fine.

And your price model range for "pay what you like" still makes zero sense.  At the current price range of subscriptions NQ has, any other offer they'd put out would hurt their monetisatiion. Nothing beats a 2 month subscription that comes down to 0.33 cents a day. Do it, 20 USD over 60 Days. It's funny how when you break it down to math, the people who claim "I can't afford games" sound like "I don't buy games, I pirated all my games and I want F2P MMOs :D ".

Call of Duty is one of the most successful franchises in gaming - liking it or not, won't change their sales charts, that's called "objective reality", people who don't have dellusions live in it. In Objective Reality we also know of things like "quality is being paid for". DU, unlike COD, is quality that has to be paid for - unless you want to be able to buy Win. For example, go ahead, go play NCSoft's next diarrhea of an F2P MMORPG. Go enjoy the 2001 server archtecture in 2017 and fully instanced worlds. Do it. DU is not that kind of game, and it can't afoord people feeling generous.

The arguement "omg, I can't afford teh gaemz, makez gaemz fr33!!111" is old, and it's only supported by people who refuse to work - or are underage and refuse to work. How many Stasrrbucks cups you get is irrelevant, one DU subscription can be summed up to 1 - 3 packets of smokes, 1 bottle of 30mg vaping syrum (commercial stuff not homebrew), 1.5 Nutella jars or you know, don't order a Domino's once a month (overpriced brand if you ask me).

Also, stop using the "I agree with what you say, but here's why I disagree with you" tactic. It's old crap and only gets you marked as a tool. Nobody likes tools. Stick to your guns.

I think CaptainTwerkmotor didn't actually get the idea which was proposed by topic starter AKA Captain_Hilts as he wrote it in a bit strange way and decided that Captain_Hilts means to ask price of 60 $ for 2 months of game, when actualy Captain_Hilts means that person pays the same 10$, but gets limited game time which he can consume within longer period of time. So let me rephrase this the way it seems more "readable" for me:

Option 1. For $10 you get Unlimited hours .  1 month to use it until it expires. Totally you'll pay 10$x12 months = $120/yr (this is the baseline Novaquark has already announced)

Option 2. For $10 you get 300 hours of game (online) time. You have 2 month to spend those 300 hours, and they will expire after those 2 moths no matter if you played less than that.  Totally you'll pay 10$x6 installements(2 months each) = $60/yr. The maximum time you'll be able to spend in game for those money will be  1800hr/yr.

Option 3. For $10 you get 150 hours of game (online) time. You have 4 month to spend those 150 hours, and they will expire after those 4 moths no matter if you played less than that.  Totally you'll pay 10$x3 installements(4 months each) = $30/yr.   The maximum time you'll be able to spend in game for those money will be  450hr/yr

Option 4. For $10 you get 50hours of game (online) time. You have 6 month to spend those 50 hours, and they will expire after those 6 moths no matter if you played less than that.  Totally you'll pay 10$x2 installements(6 months each)  = $20/yr.    The maximum time you'll be able to spend in game for those money will be 100hr/yr

I understand those who say, that developer needs to pay for server maintenance 24/7. But when the players do not actually play (stay online) server is less loaded, community managers do not get additional (new petitions); and players who are actually playing during that time, get less lag, get their petitions resolved faster and generally get better service thus are more satisfied and eager to use the service. On other hand game developer is motivating additional customer to pay for their service - yes, he pays less, but still he pays 20$ though he would consider it not worth of paying if he could play only 100 hours per year and needed to pay full price of 120 $.

And people, please understand, that players are living all over the world, not only in USA or rich Western Europe. Therefore what seems irrelevant to you might be quite important to others. I know that some people in my country are working for as low as 300 euro per month and consider themselves lucky to have this job as there are no other options in small towns they live in. Well, they have option - to move to bigger cities, or even immigrate to your country and take away your job for twice ot three times lower salary than you would ever consider fair :D which you won't be happy about I suppose :). And with all the due respect to your achievements and great input in development of your local economy (which I honestly doubt is true for those who enjoy flexing out how much they waste on coffee and so on) these people often work harder, longer and in way less comfortable environment than you do, still they want to enjoy some games during their free time. They want it for a fair price. And I see nothing wrong if they will get limited access for a smaller fee. It is well known fact, that for example WoW is using different monetisation system in China, than it's in NA and Europe. Players pay per online game time there and everyone is happy - both players and localisators of the game.

6 hours ago, Lethys said:
6 hours ago, Captain_Hilts said:

If you have a family, expenses and limited gametime but can't afford 10 or 15€ per month, you shouldn't play video games. Get your life sorted first.

Pure gold ... 

On 9/11/2017 at 8:39 AM, TehWardy said:

I don't like seeing advertising anywhere but it's reality these days...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Those billboards in Sci-Fi movies are expertly designed and placed as part of the script. They contribute to the story and lore. What you're thinking of are the lame product placement ads in TV shows and low budget movies where heroes are obviously driving a certain brand of car or drinking a certain brand of soft drink. In other words, you're paying to watch advertisements that are shoved in your face.

If I pay for a product or service, and I'm forced to see advertisements, I'll stop paying.

Advertisements have a place, like in hell, or on toilet paper. Not in a universe that's being created from the ground up. Hopefully we get that part right.

1 hour ago, Kirtis said:

And people, please understand, that players are living all over the world, not only in USA or rich Western Europe. Therefore what seems irrelevant to you might be quite important to others. I know that some people in my country are working for as low as 300 euro per month and consider themselves lucky to have this job as there are no other options in small towns they live in. Well, they have option - to move to bigger cities, or even immigrate to your country and take away your job for twice ot three times lower salary than you would ever consider fair

playing video games is no human right; if they only get 300€ a month then they should work on improving their situation, not waste time in some VR

53 minutes ago, TehWardy said:

Pure gold ... 

wasn't meant that way but oh well :D

@Kirtis

Video games are a commodity, not a neccesity. You pay for Commodities. I get what the OP meant, repeating the same bulletpoints one by one won't change the fact that his price model makes zero darned sense.

Also, from experience with people like Captain Hilts from EVE, I can tell you what he really means is "can I has discount for my alt accounts?". The same exdact price model has been regurgitated in the EVE Online forums in the past, by less than savvy market "experts" who can't make money to maintain a network of station trader alts. See, the only real way you can spend 10 hours over 6 months, is if you run an "inside trader" alt account with a secondary VPN or from a remote machine - which is against th ToS of EVE Online if you try to do inside trading on your own (but fair game with friends ;) ) - so people who can't afford to pay the PLEX ( EVE's DAC ) amount per month for two accoutns , wanted an easy way out of this situation, by having an "optional" limited time subscription. CCP didn't  budge over this.  

Guess who played EVE Online and knows of this cancer of an arguement as well....JC Baillie, CEO of NovaQuark.

Cheerios to you too sir.

Well I sure there will be a lot of players like me that work and don't have a lot of game time compared to someone that doesn't have to work and doesn't have a family to take care of?  I think NQ has  thought it out very well and I will most likely be using some of my DAC's to acquire the materials and parts I need and  I'm sure I will not be the only one doing that.  

Free to play seems like a griefers dream most people are not going to mess up what they have to pay for and like they said there are other ways to pay for a subscription with out paying money : sell blueprints , ore's , are work contracts to make game money and buy Dac's for subscriptions!

Seems like a great idea to me.