Joining the Ark

Firesped

I missed the kickstarter on this. Either cause I didn't have money at the time or saw it just a tab bit too late. But I really wanted to get into this game due to the potential to bring about some of the content I'd like to see created in a Universe that will have everyone creating and recreating stuff. So I managed to get gold access right as the founder packages ended.

I'd like to explore the possiblties of transforming ships or robot type ships.

Welcome to the forums Firesped!

First off, I'd like to give you the FAQ that gives you the most information about Dual Universe currently.

link

Secondly, I'd like to say congrats on backing Dual Universe before the crowdfunding ended! I know a lot of people were rushing to do it, so it's great that you were able to do such!

Also, might I ask what of the possibilities you mentioned you are curious about?

Once again though, welcome to the Dual Universe!

1 minute ago, Firesped said:

have they placed any restrictions or limits on LUA scripting yet? For instance using LUA scripts to create AI controlled ships?

There is no specific limitation that is put on LUA scripting, however the limitations of the language itself while embedded in the game might be what you should look at.

They have shown in the dev video though a ship following a player due to a LUA script running on the ship. However, while I do note this, I will also note that automated weapons systems on dynamic constructs such as ships is not possible. 

There are some more components to the LUA scripting system that we simply do not know, and I imagine the possibilities will be quite endless.

On 12/09/2017 at 12:16 AM, MasteredRed said:

There is no specific limitation that is put on LUA scripting, however the limitations of the language itself while embedded in the game might be what you should look at.

They have shown in the dev video though a ship following a player due to a LUA script running on the ship. However, while I do note this, I will also note that automated weapons systems on dynamic constructs such as ships is not possible. 

There are some more components to the LUA scripting system that we simply do not know, and I imagine the possibilities will be quite endless.

That ship/construct is following the player because the player is using a Remote Control Element. The actual "following" is not caused by a player-generated Lua script running on the construct. I'd imagine the Lua scripting will allow you to change the behaviour of the thing following you (e.g. speed, distance, altitude, etc.), rather than giving you the ability to issue a random "Follow me" command via scripting. Without the use of a Remote Control Element, nothing will follow you.

The limit on what can be done via Lua scripting will be determined by NQ to a great extent, because you can only manipulate the functions of an element (e.g. ship weapon) which are exposed by NQ in the scripting interface. So if NQ doesn't want a weapon to be automated, they simply won't provide a Fire.weapon() function for you to call in Lua.

On 9/24/2017 at 4:00 AM, NanoDot said:

That ship/construct is following the player because the player is using a Remote Control Element. The actual "following" is not caused by a player-generated Lua script running on the construct. I'd imagine the Lua scripting will allow you to change the behaviour of the thing following you (e.g. speed, distance, altitude, etc.), rather than giving you the ability to issue a random "Follow me" command via scripting. Without the use of a Remote Control Element, nothing will follow you.

The limit on what can be done via Lua scripting will be determined by NQ to a great extent, because you can only manipulate the functions of an element (e.g. ship weapon) which are exposed by NQ in the scripting interface. So if NQ doesn't want a weapon to be automated, they simply won't provide a Fire.weapon() function for you to call in Lua.

You are actually very wrong sir(I assume sir). 

This is what you are referencing, but in actuality, it is using a LUA script to follow him. He specifically says that it is LUA based instead of him using the remote flight unit to control it. However, while you might state that his using the flight controller to control it towards him, it is more likely he is using it to monitor the status of the barge like unit. 

STATEMENT: None of anything I say here is based on the gameplay of the Dual Universe, but instead on the public media content posted by NQ themselves.

7 hours ago, MasteredRed said:

You are actually very wrong sir(I assume sir). 

This is what you are referencing, but in actuality, it is using a LUA script to follow him. He specifically says that it is LUA based instead of him using the remote flight unit to control it. However, while you might state that his using the flight controller to control it towards him, it is more likely he is using it to monitor the status of the barge like unit. 

STATEMENT: None of anything I say here is based on the gameplay of the Dual Universe, but instead on the public media content posted by NQ themselves.

Perhaps, we will have to see ingame whether my interpretation or yours is closer to the mark.

I believe the "basic Lua functions" that JC fleetingly mentions in the commentary are the movement functions of the construct. But as he doesn't elaborate on the subject, it's impossible to tell for certain whether the scripts he's referring to are running on the RCU carried by the player or the construct's own control unit (or even somewhere else).

What's the point of having a Remote Control Unit if you can just use Lua scripting to achieve the same result ? Or perhaps the RCU is not involved in "following", and all dynamic construct control units have a basic "follow" function, in which case you could even get a dreadnought to follow you around...

3 hours ago, NanoDot said:

Perhaps, we will have to see ingame whether my interpretation or yours is closer to the mark.

I believe the "basic Lua functions" that JC fleetingly mentions in the commentary are the movement functions of the construct. But as he doesn't elaborate on the subject, it's impossible to tell for certain whether the scripts he's referring to are running on the RCU carried by the player or the construct's own control unit (or even somewhere else).

What's the point of having a Remote Control Unit if you can just use Lua scripting to achieve the same result ? Or perhaps the RCU is not involved in "following", and all dynamic construct control units have a basic "follow" function, in which case you could even get a dreadnought to follow you around...

What the point is of that, is with remote control you have manual control over the construct, allowing you to fly it around and test it, as shown in the devdiaries. With Lua, you are scripting the behavior, so it is limited to being able to do only what you have programmed. This is like asking what the point is of operating a plane, when you can just program the plane to fly itself. Remote control needs only user input. 

13 hours ago, NanoDot said:

9 hours ago, ATMLVE said:

What the point is of that, is with remote control you have manual control over the construct, allowing you to fly it around and test it, as shown in the devdiaries. With Lua, you are scripting the behavior, so it is limited to being able to do only what you have programmed. This is like asking what the point is of operating a plane, when you can just program the plane to fly itself. Remote control needs only user input. 

I agree with ATMLVE.

There is actually one thing that I also theorized. Maybe him remote controlling gives it a defined user to follow? Perhaps it is just one way to lock on. Just a theory and I could be wrong, but the possibility to use scripts and elements seems to be pretty endless. 

31 minutes ago, Firesped said:

I wonder how much automated LUA controlled ships would be allows. could someone build an npc hostile faction?

As far as what we've been hinted at from NQ officially so far, that won't be possible. For one, there is a 1 player 1 gun policy, meaning a ship without a pilot won't be able to shoot. That means no hostile action. There might be other reasons that will make that impossible too.