Questions about PvP

Valhalo

Hey I heard about the game Dual Universe a while back and have been lightly following it for almost a year, with the Pre-Alpha being released rather soon i'd like to get more 'into' the game and the community.

Throughout this time I have been wondering about the PvP aspect of this game and what PvP will be like on release, which interests me the most and I have a few questions as to its functionality.

1) Is this game open world full loot PvP asides from the begining safe zone?
2) Is space craft combat free aim or assisted somehow?
3) Will there be weapons to be used by an individual on foot that can be crafted or obtained? Eg, a modern firearm or a futuristic adaptation of a modern firearm.

That's all for now, thanks in advance B)

1) Yes and no. There may be other safe zones added later. Protection bubbles can also be constructed that will take a lot of time and effort to destroy.

2) It is lock-on targeting, not sure exactly how it will work.

3) Yes there will be avatar vs avatar combat.

1) Yes, everything outside of the 20km Safe Zone will be fully PvP. The discovery of other Arkships was mentioned as a possibility, but that's not at all set in stone, and would not happen for years after release, if at all. Protection Bubbles have also been mentioned, but they're also hypothetical. We know literally nothing about them, and they might not even be in the final game, so planning around them isn't a good idea at this time.

2) All combat will be "tab-targeting", not free fire, and it's going to stay that way because the server load for free-firing in a game like DU would be extreme. You will have to select or "lock on" to a target before you can shoot at it, with hit chance and damage being automatically decided by the server. However, in some cases (like with avatar v avatar combat), the "lock on" mechanism may be tied to automatically select whatever target you're aiming at, so it will feel like a free aim game, even if it isn't. 

3) Yes absolutely. Players can also build ground vehicles, like tanks and armored cars. Ground combat will be a fully functional and important part of the game, particularly if you want to storm someone's underground base, or take over a building without completely destroying it.

However, I should mention that PvP will not be implemented into the Pre-Alpha at all. PvP as a feature isn't going to be implemented until Alpha at the very earliest, but more likely not until Beta, so don't get too excited about it right now.

20 hours ago, Vorengard said:

1) Yes, everything outside of the 20km Safe Zone will be fully PvP. The discovery of other Arkships was mentioned as a possibility, but that's not at all set in stone, and would not happen for years after release, if at all. Protection Bubbles have also been mentioned, but they're also hypothetical. We know literally nothing about them, and they might not even be in the final game, so planning around them isn't a good idea at this time.

2) All combat will be "tab-targeting", not free fire, and it's going to stay that way because the server load for free-firing in a game like DU would be extreme. You will have to select or "lock on" to a target before you can shoot at it, with hit chance and damage being automatically decided by the server. However, in some cases (like with avatar v avatar combat), the "lock on" mechanism may be tied to automatically select whatever target you're aiming at, so it will feel like a free aim game, even if it isn't. 

3) Yes absolutely. Players can also build ground vehicles, like tanks and armored cars. Ground combat will be a fully functional and important part of the game, particularly if you want to storm someone's underground base, or take over a building without completely destroying it.

However, I should mention that PvP will not be implemented into the Pre-Alpha at all. PvP as a feature isn't going to be implemented until Alpha at the very earliest, but more likely not until Beta, so don't get too excited about it right now.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty interested to see how this plays out, especially when it comes to vehicle v. vehicle. For instance, I wonder how hit chance will be calculated? If I have a gun with mediocre accuracy, but I'm firing against ship shaped like a huge wall (broad side of a barn), I'd expect to hit it. Likewise, if that wall-shaped ship turned sideways relative to me thus only presenting a thin target (edge of a piece of paper), I'd expect it to be quite hard to hit.

I'm interested to see how the devs handle that case of relative cross sectional area, as it will potentially have major ramifications on ship design. If cross section matters, I'd probably design fighters that are very flat, so as to present a minimal target when facing the enemy. If it DOESN'T matter, then it would make sense to shape the front of the fighter more like a wall- acts like a physical shield protecting the rest of the ship, and gives you a lot of surface area for forward-facing guns.