programing, a large opening.

Sofloan

Hello :) ,

I'd like to be able to create, design and program things or why not trade it with the comunity to get rich !

Those would be some kind of products, programed systems, like automatic defense of a fort, city, base.

Or even admin acces, Doors control, restrictions, and maybe ability to HACK :ph34r:  terminals that were programmed by other players in order to bypass security, to control the program and reverse the situation.

By designing I also mean the UI shape would be something you could create or trade,

So each faction could own its own "personality".

And maybe something more than the UI, dunno lets talk about that  :P !

You would be able to save the program on hard drives, to use it from a "smartphone from the future", a control terminal, a spaceship(anysize).

Something like that would require a simple langage such as LUA, you'll have to learn sure but this feature could be the opening for an infinite way to scultp the world, and make this place living with tons of interactions, and new paths.

Its also a big opening for trading(selling programs, AI), recruiting(a member that knows how to program),  wars/battles: victory by hacking devices (etc...)

You would choose whatever you want to create to defend yourself, upgrade the base/ship (etc...).

I hope that this idea wasn't already set  ^_^

Thanks !

EDIT:

I went further into my explanations, to let you exactly know what I meant:

I was thinking about something more "complex", at least free to do anything.

Like a turret protocol, choose when, how, why it should fire.

And something I would looove to be able to do is assembling my system to make my turret: servo motors, power source, weapon technology used, sensors, and hull but with voxels not the furnitures(meshes) they give.

Then you'll have to script the turret to make it aim right by contoling each servo motors, setup the axis, program it so you can control it with the keys you binded in the program, or even program an AI that aim everything the sensors detect as 'hostile".

Thats where the hacking is interesting, he change the aim protocol from hostile to allies, tirn those against the creator maybe ^^

Welcome.

You should read the devblog on LUA Script and Distributed Processing Units !

This more or less what will enable things you are suggesting;)

Oh pretty nice, so a detailed wiki with a libary of all the class, well the content and the informations to start scripting is vital.

I really think that this have to be part of the game, and then we're just going to admire the pros creations ^^

Oh pretty nice, so a detailed wiki with a libary of all the class, well the content and the informations to start scripting is vital.

I really think that this have to be part of the game, and then we're just going to admire the pros creations ^^

I am not sure scripting can be compared to what SE is doing, it will be more component and event based here.

What I understand is that each "Element" (say a door)  will have a set of public function and events you will be able to listen and even trigger your own.

For example you will have a "logic block" called DPU, with 5 door and an oxygen level censor plugged in.

You will be able to code:

for each change in oxygen level broadcasted by the censor, if it is below 50%, call the function "close" on all the 5 doors, then trigger a custom event called "emergency life support mode enabled".

This custom event can be listened to by another DPU with another set of action to occur when this is triggered.

Remember this is only speculation, but the devblog make me think it will be like this.

I am not sure scripting can be compared to what SE is doing, it will be more component and event based here.

What I understand is that each "Element" (say a door)  will have a set of public function and events you will be able to listen and even trigger your own.

For example you will have a "logic block" called DPU, with 5 door and an oxygen level censor plugged in.

You will be able to code:

for each change in oxygen level, if it is below 50%, close all the 5 doors.

Remember this is only speculation, but the devblog make me think it will be like this.

And something I would looove to be able to do is assembling my system to make my turret: servo motors, power source, weapon technology used, sensors, and hull but with voxels not the furnitures(meshes) they give.

Then you'll have to script the turret to make it aim right by contoling each servo motors, setup the axis, program it so you can control it with the keys you binded in the program, or even program an AI that aim everything the sensors detect as 'hostile".

Thats where the hacking is interesting, he change the aim protocol from hostile to allies, tirn those against the creator maybe ^^

you can do that with an event system. well most of what you said it would just be on something like a detect event

Well, idk if this will be possible or not.

What I can see is something like this:

Plug your turrets and a radar to a DPU,

you will receive events from the radar like "new <target> at target.position".

then create your own target prioritization system, lets say by range, speed, interception ETA, etc.

and for each turret, order to fire if the prioritization rules are all met for a target.

BUT since the game weapons are not "ballistic" and more based upon probabilities and maths, I am not sure the level of interaction that will be possible with them.

SE offers everything you want from DU. With couple mods it's quite easy to setup. I don't believe such programming and customization level will be possible in DU. This is simply not possible, voxel grids attached to other voxel grids with servos, motors, rotors, pistons whatever are very demanding if it comes to calculations... DU is supposed to be MMO for milion of players so this would mean NQ would need millions of servers to keep up simulation speed of world filled with super complex devices, vehicles, ships. I know what I'm talking about, I love SE, I love to create things build with many many moveable parts, one quite massive truck can eat up half of system resources, MP games are not possible without having serious slow motion feeling caused by drastically decreased simspeed. So I don't expect creating things without mesh items will be possible on any level closed to what you suggested. I would be nicely surprised if it was possible to place anchor (name for moveable part in DU) on a voxel placed on other anchor without having issues. It could be possible if client machines ware participate in calculations but I doubt NQ would want to use our resources leaving hacking gate wide opened.

SE offers everything you want from DU. With couple mods it's quite easy to setup. I don't believe such programming and customization level will be possible in DU. This is simply not possible, voxel grids attached to other voxel grids with servos, motors, rotors, pistons whatever are very demanding if it comes to calculations... DU is supposed to be MMO for milion of players so this would mean NQ would need millions of servers to keep up simulation speed of world filled with super complex devices, vehicles, ships. I know what I'm talking about, I love SE, I love to create things build with many many moveable parts, one quite massive truck can eat up half of system resources, MP games are not possible without having serious slow motion feeling caused by drastically decreased simspeed. So I don't expect creating things without mesh items will be possible on any level closed to what you suggested. I would be nicely surprised if it was possible to place anchor (name for moveable part in DU) on a voxel placed on other anchor without having issues. It could be possible if client machines ware participate in calculations but I doubt NQ would want to use our resources leaving hacking gate wide opened.

NQ has said they plan to have hinges and pistons (as i recall) and that they are custom coding that part of the physics so that it plays nice and isn't to much of a load. The load problem also seems to be the reason we won't be getting wheels and SE is buggy as all hell (still play it a lot though). They wouldn't need milions of servers but anytime there is as many players as they want even if things are limited there is bound to be some problems.

Scripting as long as its done in a way that allow won't limit people at all they just might need to find small work arounds (like they do in SE)

NQ has said they plan to have hinges and pistons (as i recall) and that they are custom coding that part of the physics so that it plays nice and isn't to much of a load. The load problem also seems to be the reason we won't be getting wheels and SE is buggy as all hell (still play it a lot though). They wouldn't need milions of servers but anytime there is as many players as they want even if things are limited there is bound to be some problems.

Scripting as long as its done in a way that allow won't limit people at all they just might need to find small work arounds (like they do in SE)

I know there's gonna be movable parts, but I can't imagine using them won't be limited somehow. In SE you can place such parts as many as your or server machine is able to compute. I think in DU we will be able to do basic things like gates, extendable landing gears, things directly attached to main grid, nothing to fancy. I'm really ok with that, I just hope everything will work smooth, will not blow with no reason, and will make impression of not-so-static like we do have in Empyrion. Best part is scripting not so difficult as in SE, can't wait to get my hands on that part of DU.

• 5 weeks later...

...ah crap I don't want to contribute to the hijacking here but SE...

Don't get me wrong I really like SE but there is no way to defend KeenSWH anymore there are countless things wrong with it.

They realized it and working hard I give them that but I doubt they do a complete rewrite from zero which is necessary.

But back to topic SE implements Havok very badly and that is one of the reason why it is so damn laggy.

DU will have moving parts and done right you won't notice any performance impacts at all even in a MMO scenario.

The function and hook based lua system will in addition with the scriptable DPU very powerfull so there is no need to worry there.

I'm really looking forward to explore the possibilities.