Any LANDMARK builders here ??

Damian_Firecaster

Hello Alpha team

I am Damian Firecaster legat of the Core worlds Coalition. I am a former Everquest LANDMARK builder,  Current Space engineer and second life resident. I wanted to see How many Alpha team members are also former LANDMARK voxel mancers (Master voxel builders). You guys are going to show JC/novaquark just what a voxel engine is capable of doing. Also we need to test this engine to see if we can do micro voxels and negative voxels. so sound off. gentlemen and Ladies. we know what our job is, we have been down this road before ( Everquest Landmark) stress test, find every bug in this game and get it fixed, as with landmark we will find Some bugs that we like and that can be turned in to features such as the a fore mentioned micro voxels and negative voxels. we might find others. but our job is to get this planet / game ready for the other colonist that are asleep on the Arkship. My job will be to explore this planet and find resources. I look forward to meeting you guys again, some of you I know from landmark. It will be great to get back to building in voxels like we did in landmark. but this time our creations will FLY !!!! If you see me in game please say hello, I enjoy meeting people. to all other Members of the Alpha team, if you need assistence with building tools or building I will help some. the Ships I will be building are the S.S. Ram (Luxury yacht/Mobile Home (unarmed)), CWC Wolverine (Science-Command ship (ARMED)), CWC Amazon (Runabout(armed)).

Good luck to all of you.

Damian Firecaster

Core Worlds Coalition

I'm a gold contributor here but i have received no Alpha invite as yet...however to answer your question yes, i played Landmark.  Kept to myself mostly so i doubt you saw any of my stuff but here's a link to my last build...i will not be trying to reproduce it in DU though:  I'll be going more for creating unique, usable space-craft and perhaps land-craft as well :)

Hopefully, i'll get that Alpha invite I keep hearing about :)

-LK

Hey Bomb :) 

Damian, since these will actually "fly" i'll be creating my own designs but that doesn't mean i won't at some point go for something truly special...it'll all come down to how much room will i have to build.

• 1 month later...

I was an early Landmark player and helped figure out some of the original voxelmancy techniques. When I saw DU was using dual contouring and hermit data .. well .. I had some flashbacks of Landmark. 

The thing is .. Landmark stopped being fun for me once I learned what I could do within the engine if only I wanted to spend a crazy amount of time using messy workarounds. It is hard to tell based on the Alpha video I watched if DU's voxel engine and tools will produce the same type of environment we had in Landmark. If it does get to that point, I hope they give us (or let us create) better tools so you don't have to do things like making voxel boards. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎08‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 12:36 AM, Damian_Firecaster said:

I wanted to see How many Alpha team members are also former LANDMARK voxel mancers (Master voxel builders). 

Well, I hope there are a few of us out there. And if you see an Alicorn flying through space ... that'll probably be me. And I don't give a ship how idiotic this will look. I WILL build it again. And this time i will make it FLY! Hah! ;) 

XjPPIrs.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really REALLY want to enjoy this product but so long as they continue to have "Pre-Alpha Access!" at hours that are unacceptable to anyone with a lick of creative thought in my area, i'll just have to wait another year for the beta to get released :(

No...i'm not getting up at 6am on a Saturday just to have a few hours access.  Call me silly but as a gamer, if i'm up at 6am Sat morning its because i haven't gone to bed yet.

Love the unicorn you made in LM btw :)

1 hour ago, Elkay said:

I really REALLY want to enjoy this product but so long as they continue to have "Pre-Alpha Access!" at hours that are unacceptable to anyone with a lick of creative thought in my area, i'll just have to wait another year for the beta to get released :(

No...i'm not getting up at 6am on a Saturday just to have a few hours access.  Call me silly but as a gamer, if i'm up at 6am Sat morning its because i haven't gone to bed yet.

Love the unicorn you made in LM btw :)

the game is in development, its not released.

Development takes time.

Be grateful they let anyone into a pre-alpha product.

And oh BTW - i'm not saying anything about the development life-cycle or the terms they are currently setting their goals for...i'm talking about the HOURS OF OPERATION for pre-alpha...for me all of them have started at 6 am.  They are establishing times that are unreasonable for "gamers" in our region.  THAT was my point - not how long it takes them to build the product.

I think they've done an amazing job considering the time and money they've had to invest.

6 hours ago, Elkay said:

TRUE!  LOL What little i've seen looks very cool though - at least it has potential.  Then again, we all said that about LM too.

Yeah, timezones are a bitch. It's why most of us do anticipate for Alpha Proper to start doing tests on the things we want.

Also, nobody got into Landmark for Landmark, I bought the 200 euro founder's pack for EQ:N Landmark, not Landmark. I checked out of the whole thing once they dropped EQ:N as a whole. Landmark was a scam, it was built like a scam.

The moment a company advertises gltiches as "features" you know their executive producers are not serious for the longevity of the project  - which was what voxelomancy was, just a graphical glitch with their weird pixel alignment rules adapted for voxels. Who thought aligning voxels north,west-up when you place them, was a "good idea". Somebody in that team meeting, proposed it and everyone went "Yeah, that will work just FINE".

And for the most part, the combat - when SOE's servers didn't barbeque some nice steaks - was actually fun. Soft-lock targeting, intuitive reactions and GRAPPLING HOOKS. But then they said that "Everquest Next was not fun so we scrapped it", which was total bullcrap and everyone who came on board for EQ:N jumped ship.

Nobody ever gave a rat's tail for Landmark. Everquest Next was the main allure. 

Nobody goes to watch a Marvel movie for the Stan Lee cameo.

3 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

which was what voxelomancy was, just a graphical glitch with their weird pixel alignment rules adapted for voxels. Who thought aligning voxels north,west-up when you place them, was a "good idea". Somebody in that team meeting, proposed it and everyone went "Yeah, that will work just FINE".

Now, is that some kind of a test? ;)

For in landmark the base voxel position was south/east/up. And it is necessary to define it, since any voxel based shape only comes to existance by drawing lines from a base voxel to it's 7 neighbour voxels in pre defined directions and filling the space between them to create a visible surface (so in the case of landmark, to the north/west/down neighbour voxels).

To say: If you place the smallest cube in a voxel-world - that's not the voxel. The voxel is one of it's corners, building a visible cube by drawing lines to it's neighbours (the other corners) and filling the space between them. That's not a glitch, that's voxel technology basics and inevitable. Just saying.

1 hour ago, Torenstahl said:

Now, is that some kind of a test? ;)

For in landmark the base voxel position was south/east/up. And it is necessary to define it, since any voxel based shape only comes to existance by drawing lines from a base voxel to it's 7 neighbour voxels in pre defined directions and filling the space between them to create a visible surface (so in the case of landmark, to the north/west/down neighbour voxels).

To say: If you place the smallest cube in a voxel-world - that's not the voxel. The voxel is one of it's corners, building a visible cube by drawing lines to it's neighbours (the other corners) and filling the space between them. That's not a glitch, that's voxel technology basics and inevitable. Just saying.

Good, so you were aware of how voxelomancy worked. Not many catch that minor detail about how its alignment worked.

Yeah, CSD here, I happen to know how vectors work :D 

But regardless, the "Voxel Reactors" were just a glitch, it was never in any sane developer's mind, an intended feature, and it was a feature on top of that, that caused a lot of graphical issues and in many occassions, a resource hog - or a plain good eyesore. I remember watching the stream from SOE Live back in 2014 or 2015 and the main developers could not explain what Voxelomancy was - cause they never intended for it as a feature.

This is their cardinal sin, they tried to pass a gltich as a feature, and while Bethesda does it all the time, Bethesda's glitches have to do with funny things, not "my framerate is at single digits" frustrations.

They could have added a Vector Mapping Tool if they wanted precision, simply select which points you want to connect and draw shapes on the grid. But no, that was out of their ability and like buffoons, SOE went like "YES, this graphical glitch was ALWAYS intended, yes, totally, it's not we suck at this job, totally a feature ".

In general, SOE was very inept, on many fields. Planetside 2, they failed hard, SWG failed even harder,  then they tried to bait and switch EQ:N with a Minecraft clone.

That company catches gold and turns it to coal.