97 members have voted

1. 1. Stargate connection technique:

• Dialing gates individually
    • fixed gate-to-gate connection

What do you think?

Dialing:

Pros:

-trading and politics are easier

-makes it easier to travel as a newcomer (no advantages for others, same chances)

-saves real-life time

Cons:

-defense is much harder (without shield)

-could block other gates

Fixed:

Pros:

-defense is much easier

-private

Cons:

-waste of resources

Choose yourself!

More ideas?

i choosed individual dialing but you should set who (or all) can dial your gate or even see your gate in a possible adress list, but at least you should see if you can walk through the gate without getting killed by it. maybe you could rent out a gate network...

2 minutes ago, Tolen Gazar said:

I would like individual. Defending could be as simple as an "iris", if were taking that route. 

indeed but if the gates are public (everyone can dial them) who has the right to block the incoming gate? the owner? who is the owner? or its just a risk to run the through the gate.

55 minutes ago, Flow2606 said:

indeed but if the gates are public (everyone can dial them) who has the right to block the incoming gate? the owner? who is the owner? or its just a risk to run the through the gate.

The gates will all be player-built, so whoever builds it automatically owns it.

That need not be a problem though, the gate you are dialing from could perhaps query your access rights on destination gates, and simply not display invalid destination gates in the list of options.

I suspect DU gates will be "fixed destination" though, it's just simpler to implement, given all the ramifications of access rights.

To quote Nyzaltar's response to a similar question in the AMA from way back in July of 2016"

Stargates will be part of a player-made network of nodes. A given node is able to let ships jump to any node that is within its maximal range, which depends on the level of the Stargate. Effectively, this draws a map to where you can go in the galaxy, but unlike most other games, the map is not static and not predefined. Players are creating the stargates, and players can also destroy stargates, nearly blocking routes or even isolating some part of the universe for some time in the process. Building a stargate will involve sending a proxy probe to the desired new stargate position. The probe will travel at FTL speed, but will still need weeks to reach distant destinations. Once deployed, the probe will allow for just one jump, that you can use to send the necessary material and personel to start building the effective Stargate and activate it.

Who knows if this is still the plan for how stargates will work, but this was what they were thinking previously. It's also important to note that JC has said on multiple occasions that stargates are not something players will be able to build until years after launch.

I'm as excited for them as the next guy, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here :)

it's way too early to tell what kind of mechanics should/will be used for stargates.

I like their vision - probe needs to travel for weeks/months and allows you a one time jump - then you can build a base there, defend your turf there and then build the gate.

But it's way too early to tell imho (would've liked your comment @Vorengard but i can't lol)

English (Translator used)

Hello Lethys,

Like explained here, Likes are still there: go to the bottom of the page, click "Theme" and switch for "Default". 

German (orginal)

Hallo Lethys,

Wie hier erklärt, Likes sind immer noch da: Gehe unten auf die Seite und klicke auf "Theme" und wechsle dann auf "Default".

mfG Die Waldfee

17 hours ago, Flow2606 said:

Person who places it is the owner. 

I tend to think of the Stargate as just a phone system. We can block all number except those we want allowed, or vis-versa. 

"Interesting options you brought up there. I can't speak for the developers, but in my opinion, fixed destination stargates are the thing.

For one, let's look at how stargates are deployed. Destination A is where probe number one launches from. Destination B is where probe number one becomes the light of the tunnel. To justify 'dialling' stargates,

• probe number one needs to be able to do the job of the hypothetical probe number two. That means making probes re-usable.i.e Probe number one serves as an anchor, tunnel point one, tunnel point two, tunnel point three, et cetera.
  • You network stargates by finding some way to connect them, or 'grouping' them. For example, Stargates A, B, C and D belong to Group Alpha; Stargates E, F, G, and H belong to Group Beta. Then you have the obvious problem of setting the connecting link(s) for Group Alpha and Group Beta. Mix size restrictions in there and possible logistics of network topology and you've got your work cut out for you.

In 'dialling's' defence, I don't know anyone that prefers 'point-to-point' topology (direct access - or fixed in your case here) to mesh (dialling Stargates or a case in which every Stargate is connected to another) network topology. Obviously, allowing any Stargate to dial another is something that makes Stargates more at home in Star Trek and Doctor Who as magical teleportation devices but in this case, good ol' ale is better than the synthetic protein shakes they serve these days. In other words, 'fixed point' is a tried and proven design. Make it hybrid because we'll be playing in a civilisation 500 years into the future, and you have a Stargate that has a fixed end and two or three points. 

You know where it leads, you know where it ends. Dialling Stargates makes it easier for our dear small scale newbie hauliers and truckers, but if I can pass through a zillion territories without changing bus, why not just make one big country instead? 'Fixed point' does three things for us:

1. It provides the necessity for a well thought out logistics system. Case in point: your road network. It isn't just strips of tarmac intersecting at weird points; some people sat down to analyze traffic behaviour at different times of the day and built the roads according to those needs. You can build a dozen streets and only two are being used and you can bet on it: they'll be clogged. Without 'Fixed point', every Tom, Dick Jack and Harry would set up a Stargate linking everywhere and nowhere at once. Seeing lights zip everywhere through space is beautiful until you realise that those could be your foes with their new 'omni-location' Stargates bearing down on your territory from a thousand points. Not good.
  2. It makes Hauling the more important. This might not be your thing, but there are players who find a certain fetish pleasure in sitting down after a hard day's work and staring at the beauty of a digital Universe while hauling hundreds of dollars worth of goods for hours at a time. They love it, God knows why, and who am I to judge? There are certain days I'd rather pay someone to stare at a screen for 120 minutes and jumping for joy every one or two minutes at getting through another gate without 'Gate Campers' holding up traffic. Put in a dialling Stargate and you leave them without their pleasure. Why pay someone to jump just one gate? Might as well bring a few friends if I'm so worried about my cargo.
  3. It brings in the suspense of 'content creators'. That's another word for 'Gate Campers' or Pirates. You've got to love guys that sit like 'Chameleon stones' with the equivalent of fifty howitzers as the fore cannon ready to do the '21 Gun Salute' for you and your buddies. Bring your Own Shades: big explosions make big lights.

In other words, 'Fixed Stargates' are easier to develop for Alpha and Beta, much more fun and much more necessary for the immersion the devs have been gunning for. That's just my opinion on it, I'm more than ready to see someone's differing perspective.

If you're wondering, yes: the Aether is still offering it's TRANCE Stargate Network and logistics services to any org that's interested (21 organisations have 'formally' signed up so far). 

Cheers.

"

first of all i made this post to make a representation of what the community thinks and not what will be the case in the later game. i know that they already have a concept but i just want you guys to discuss.

For me i would be ok if we have some kind of mixture. maybe they can change the restriction of only 2 gate-connections so you can add others to some kind of "network" but its not public so others cant "dial" or use it. youre still able to setup your personal gate-to-gate connection without public access.

Fixed gate-to-gate connection to me seems the best  because tactically its your best option from keeping enemies from instantly dropping a armada at the planet your organization is home based ! To get back the cost or resources your organization could make it free to members and charge a small fee for non-members !

I will not be fighting I prefer the crafting career but I think people maybe forgetting there could be a large tactical aspect of the game for the organizations that will be fighting. 

Star Gates : Will probable be expensive and take rare materials to make not to mention what's keeping enemies from destroying it if you don't maybe have a base there to protect it. Destroying a gate could be devastating, it may slow down or stop a organizations ability to trade , communicate , and travel to that solar system if they don't have a alternate path and if you destroy lets say a neutral owned stargate you could have just made a lot of enemies from the organizations that use that stargate. 

There is still a lot to consider about stargates being used for tactics and commerce but it will probably be a big game changer for most not to mention reducing travel time!

On 9/5/2017 at 5:58 PM, Vorengard said:

To quote Nyzaltar's response to a similar question in the AMA from way back in July of 2016"

Who knows if this is still the plan for how stargates will work, but this was what they were thinking previously. It's also important to note that JC has said on multiple occasions that stargates are not something players will be able to build until years after launch.

I'm as excited for them as the next guy, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here :)

That sounds like a pretty cool approach. It would be neat to be on the build team that makes that first jump to the new gate build site.

Interesting topic!

I first thought a fixed gate-to-gate as the most natural option. But after a little moment thinking, I came to the idea that a multi-destination gate network is far more interesting. With some limitations to make it more strategic, of course.

The first important question is: A gate should stay opened all the time? What is the meaning behind.

If they do, well... dialing a new destination is simply impossible. The "gates" are more like a wormhole tunnel. This option is often used in video games, because it's a very easy way to build bridges between the instances of the game. In this case, the space is structured, more or less, like a plane ground. And this is another good thing to avoid making players lost or mad (!).

We find this in games like freelancer or X series, which even set up a N,S,W,E thing. That is quite a nonsense in deep space, but helps everyone with something familiar.

But in DU, the picture is different: first because there is only one instance, and secondly because everyone can place the gates everywhere.

So, with this perspective, the question is moving on an economical and political ground. And that is what DU is about.

In this last case, people with a fixed gate-to-gate gameplay will not build a grid pattern with the gates, but rather build kind of hubs. I mean, hubs make your gates easier to protect, and is the best way to bring quickly your fleet (army or cargo) to your distant gates (and probably important planets, stations, whatever...). But, with the time, you hub will maybe become a gate labyrinth. Not mentionning the fact that if gates are really expensive, it will make even more expensive for an org to build a network, because of the indirect accumulated costs of your gates.

Each org will probably build its own gate-hub, and will hardly take the risk to build a hub with other orgs, taking the risk to lost their gates and heavy investment.

Finally, my opinion is that it will make the gate gameplay quite uninteresting, except for the need to reach distant systems without spending weeks, as NQ said.

So, for me multi-dialing gate with a distance limit (fixed or because of some kind of fuel) is the best option. And the gates will need to be opened and closed. Moreover, it makes the gates more useful if you can connect to a pre-existing network, with the possibility to manage your gate access with electronic keys. Little orgs with few incomes will find a real interest to invest into even only one gate, allowing them to jump into the alliance game and switching  access, maybe taking adventage of political issues between big orgs. It will make polititics and collaboration a thing for transportation and communication.

On top, it opens new scripting ideas, like making some "gate bridges" as we can see in Stargate series for instance.

So, definitly, dialing-gates for me!

I would prefer the fixed connections.

To me, the fixed connections seem much more believable.  If stargates use wormholes, they could only connect two places, the ends of the wormhole.  This fits with the need to send the probe, since a tiny wormhole would be created, the probe would carry one end to another location where it would be expanded into a stargate.  I find it difficult to even speculate how a dialing stargate would be connected.

Aside from that, I also think the fixed connections would make the game more interesting.  If they have fixed connections and are expensive to build, there will be a tendency to use existing stargates, so going between two stars would often require using a series of stargates.  This makes controlling the territory on those routes important.  With the dialing stargates, if a system has one, it is essentially connected to everywhere and trips will be directly from one star to the destination.  The fixed connections would give a structure to space that would otherwise be lost.

1 hour ago, Ben Fargo said:

I would prefer the fixed connections.

To me, the fixed connections seem much more believable.  If stargates use wormholes, they could only connect two places, the ends of the wormhole.

indeed a wormhole does only connect two locations but if you can turn on/off your stargate then you should also be able to change the destination.

I kind of like the idea of fixed connections between stargates. I think that could make for some very interesting geography of space as some systems might mainly be valuable simply for the connections it has. However, I think they are going for a bit more of a "Lost Fleet" Hypernet style system, and I could support that. In my opinion, that system works better for this sort of game

1 hour ago, Flow2606 said:

indeed a wormhole does only connect two locations but if you can turn on/off your stargate then you should also be able to change the destination.

That is reasonable, but I would prefer to not be able to turn them on or off.  If they do not use wormholes, then I wonder what they could use.  It could be something we have not even imagined, but I like science fiction better when we can at least speculate how things work.

7 minutes ago, Ben Fargo said:

That is reasonable, but I would prefer to not be able to turn them on or off.  If they do not use wormholes, then I wonder what they could use.  It could be something we have not even imagined, but I like science fiction better when we can at least speculate how things work.

I doubt it will be an easy task to turn one off, if it's even possible other than destroying one. 

English (Translator used)

I would like to see big stargates in space, which can be selected in the space ship (Dest-Gate) and then with large spaceships can fly through. The owner (s) determine who is allowed to use the gate, because they must protect it.
Then I would like still small stargates which are fixedly assigned. For 1 person with little inventory (300kg) to avoid transportation of goods. These small gates can then only be installed on space stations and larger ships.

German (orginal)

Ich wünsche mir große Stargates im All, die man im Raumschiff anwählt (Zielgate) und dann mit großen Raumschiffen durchfliegen kann. Der oder die Eigentümer bestimmen wer das Gate nutzen darf, denn Sie müssen es ja auch beschützen.

Dann möchte ich noch kleine Stargates die fest zugeordnet sind. Für 1 Person mit wenig Inventar (300kg) um den Transport von Gütern zu vermeiden. Diese kleinen Gates kann man dann nur auf Raumstationen und größeren Schiffen installieren.

Die Waldfee

I'm prefer with the fixed one.

I think it will be better for each gate to only connect to 1 destination only, in other words you need to build the another gate for another destination.

Also the fixed gate will offers it's own needs based on how players play the game.

The dialing gate means each gate has the same level of service, while the fixed gate is the opposite.

Just imagine that if you destroy the fixed gates that leads to a "trading & business" solar system, a cool conflict will be made ... but if we using the dialing ones, it will be less catchy because "hey, we still have the another gate"

I'd prefer fixed gates.

That said, I would be ok with dialing but only if it took time (Like a few hours) to dial up a new gate. That way it forces you to commit for a length of time.