How realistic will the Physics be?

maxZZzzz

How realistic will the Physics be?

This is about where you draw the line between "real live as we know it" and making compromises to get a fun game.

1) Will there be a top speed, like in the other space sims, or can you, given enough energy, accelerate to approx. 'c'?

2) How realistic will the computation of forces be?
* Could a black hole for example rip a ship appart?
* Can a tiny sand grain tear a big hole through a ship given enough speed?
* Can materials melt?
* Is the EM Fields being calculated, and if so how realistic?

3) Do you consider physics a part of combat mechanics?
* In Eve physics does not play a role at all for combat. Ships just bump off of each other when they get close.
* In Space Engineers physics is part of combat, but the physics calculations are very unstable and unpredictable especially when moving at speeds close to their maximum speed.

4) Will there be a pressure system for gases and/or liquids?

1) I've already asked this and it has been answered on twitter: 

2) How realistic will the computation of forces be?

Currently we know for a fact that the only external forces that are currently in the game are Planetary gravity and, most likely, drag in atmosphere.

There are no other advanced forces such as radiation pressure, heat dissipation forces or any other sorts of fields.

As for voxel collisions and damage, those are confirmed, however they will be developed in the future, and as such currently there is no concrete information on voxel mechanics. However it's confirmed that structural forces are not going to be a thing on release, so no shear or load calculations in constructs (black hole or otherwise).

3) Do you consider physics a part of combat mechanics?

They have stated several times that they aim high-speed collisions to not be a viable mode of combat, as it is difficult to counter and very powerful.

4) Will there be a pressure system for gases and/or liquids?

They have said that they have a vision for what to do with the water on planets, however currently, they are just there as placeholders/barriers. Ships will not be submersible.

As for internal pressurization/oxygen systems, there has been no information, however, looking at how they aim to make construct mechanics as MMO-friendly as possible, I doubt they will ever be present.

Some solid questions, which I hope someone from NQ would answer in greater detail.

20 minutes ago, yamisniper said:

im pretty sure your ships can get damage thers a video on it

Yes a basic damage system for elements is in place, but nothing on voxels so far. Ramming won't be a thing (as we know it from SE)

Yeah didn't one of the dev diaries mention ramming as being off the table because of, you know otherwise you would just put some thrusters on an asteroid and ram it in to whatever you want to kill?

5 minutes ago, Groogy said:

Yeah didn't one of the dev diaries mention ramming as being off the table because of, you know otherwise you would just put some thrusters on an asteroid and ram it in to whatever you want to kill?

As long as there are defensive options against this kind of stuff it would be ok.

Yes if I remember right the Dev's said the physics will be pretty realistic while the collision mechanics is not really there and will probably be added or a version of it way later on in the game?

One of the cool things I remember is if your flying orbit around a planet  and turn off your engines you continue to orbit  the planet with no power to the engines!

25 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Yes a basic damage system for elements is in place, but nothing on voxels so far. Ramming won't be a thing (as we know it from SE)

o yea no ramming and forgot it wasnt voxel it showed just the crafted stuff

2 hours ago, Megaddd said:

Some solid questions, which I hope someone from NQ would answer in greater detail.

I think they are following an agile method. Meaning they detail it after its been developed. Support it, then fix it. Personally I think it is excellent. Perfect one thing at a time. 

i think there will be gravity things cause theres a bug right now that you can place it on a wall and youll start spinning cause its trying to pull you toward the wall and the gravity is trying to pull you down on the planet (i didnt explain it right) but hopefully you get what i mean

8 hours ago, AUTO6PL said:

And what about gravity inside big spaceships in space? If there will be any gravity there how during spaceship construct we'll decide where is up and where is down inside the ship?

they haven't stated yet if they just define "down" while building the construct (they have that already via that widget) or if there may be some kind of gravity generators later on. Has to be seen I'd say

I'm just back from PAX where I got to meet JC and play a bit of a... I guess pre pre alpha... build of the game.

Disclaimer: this is all subject to change as what I played is not the finished product.

During ship construction you need to add an element called a gyro to your ship which tells the game which way is up for your construct.  I suspect this would also serve to indicate which direction any artificial gravity if any exists... (I didn't think to ask and didn't build a big enough ship to get out inside) should be oriented.

Planets are planned to rotate... but not revolve around the sun.  So we will get day night... but planets will always be in the same position relative to each other in a star system.  I think for the build I played... the sun was orbiting the planets rather than the planets rotating.  Again they do plan for the planets to rotate.

Flying in air is much like flying in space... only with a little drag to slow you down.  I mean the ships behave like they have reaction controls and will fly sideways through the air the same as they do forwards...  The current air physics does not bear much resemblance to real aerodynamics.

If you leave a ship in space... well... mine fell straight back down to the ground.  There was a way to freeze it in place up there... so it would be in "orbit" and by that I mean... not orbit as it isn't moving but remaining in space anyway.  The current way... I think... was to leave the game and come back... then your ship would be stationary.  To have your ship really be in orbit you'd have to get it up to the proper speed in the proper direction and then stay in it... and leave the game running with you logged in.  Because if you leave the game... your motion stops.

I'm not sure what would happen if you got the ship up to speed in the right direction and then got out of it... since mine fell back to the ground that means it was still effected by physics while apart from me... so... I guess maybe it would orbit... at least while you remained logged in.

Ships require "dynamic cores" to fly... this causes physics to be applied to them.

Buildings just use a "core" and you can delete everything under them... and they'll just float there.  No collapsing buildings.  A regular core is probably what you'd use for a stationary space station.

I landed a ship on top of a carrier like ship they had floating in the sky.  I then went and tried to fly the carrier... and immediately dropped from the sky(it was out of fuel)... leaving the ship I had landed on it... floating stationary above me.  JC said they'll be adding some sort of docking element so the ships can actually be carried by a carrier type craft.

No such thing as realistic physics in games. They are all either graphical tricks or other tricks. But what you could say is how realistic will the physics appear and that depends on how much depth the devs wish to go into physics and how constrained the hardware is. From what I've seen, the physics seem complete enough. We're not going to be kerbal space program physics, or Sandbox Universe 2 level. Also, planets aren't going to revolve around stars because according to the Devs this adds a lot of problems with trying to make sure ships and people remain in the frame of reference of planets, so not sure how much further you wish to go with this.