Are you going to Lua in DU?

Saul Retav

Lua Scripting/Programming Poll  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on scripting in-game with Lua?

• YES. I WILL BE THE CODE MASTER.
    • Yes. I'll learn/use the basics for custom scripting.
    • I don' t know. Maybe?
    • No. I'd rather focus on other parts of the game.
    • NO. THAT SOUNDS TOTALLY LAME.
  2. 2. If you answered "YES" or "Yes" to the above, what's your level of programming experience (not-Lua specific)?

• Master: like Yoda and the force... but programming.
    • Advanced: professional or passionate hobbyist with lots of projects under your belt.
    • Mid-range: junior developer or hobbyist.
    • Beginner: only knows the basics.
    • Total NOOB: "Wait, what's a variable?"
    • *SKIP*

I would be pleasantly surprised if they provided WebGL, 

Think it would be quite hard for them to provide something safe where you don't on purpose do something super intensive to make the game super laggy (since the script will be running on client computer). Also who knows you might be really unlucky there's a specific bug in someones driver which causes it to crash if you do something dumb like accessing a uniform that does not exist in a shader, etc. You also have the problem of potentially writing a 4.6 version shader but someone is running the game on a gfx card that only supports 4.1 or something. How is the game suppoed to handle that?

I would say it's not really necessary to have WebGL and providing their own small limited interface would be better and probably more desirable from our perspective as well. Do you really want to sit and implement a whole rendering pipeline, shaders and all?

I plan on learning the basics of LUA Scripting to help me make some unique weapons and weapons systems! This will be my first time using LUA Scripting but I will give it my best try and maybe someone in the community will make a video  helping us beginners get started using LUA Scripting in Dual Universe.

I have to point out it is Lua, a name, not LUA an acronym. 

That being said, I look forward a lot to scripting. I know it'll be able to get pretty in depth, but as far as simple element to element interactions go it will be very simple and fun, a lot more so than I think people realize. 

That, and interactive elements, will be tons of fun to mess around with and make fun little contraptions with!

Looking forward to it for sure. And not as much LUA as HTML possibilities got me interested. Front-end dev by profession ;) 

But I know for a fact after all day long at work pushing keys, mindless mining or building is so relaxing and tempting.. :D

Will see how it goes

5 hours ago, Groogy said:

I would be pleasantly surprised if they provided WebGL, 

Think it would be quite hard for them to provide something safe where you don't on purpose do something super intensive to make the game super laggy (since the script will be running on client computer). Also who knows you might be really unlucky there's a specific bug in someones driver which causes it to crash if you do something dumb like accessing a uniform that does not exist in a shader, etc. You also have the problem of potentially writing a 4.6 version shader but someone is running the game on a gfx card that only supports 4.1 or something. How is the game suppoed to handle that?

I would say it's not really necessary to have WebGL and providing their own small limited interface would be better and probably more desirable from our perspective as well. Do you really want to sit and implement a whole rendering pipeline, shaders and all?

Stop bashing on my dreams :V

Well, they use SVGs or something for the time being, so... who knows?

I was a professional programmer for forty years, just retired.  I love programming, so I think using Lua will be a lot of fun.

If the first question had an option between the first and second choices, I would have picked that.  I expect to do things more advanced than just the basics, but I do not claim I will be a master.

42 minutes ago, Ben Fargo said:

I was a professional programmer for forty years, just retired.  I love programming, so I think using Lua will be a lot of fun.

If the first question had an option between the first and second choices, I would have picked that.  I expect to do things more advanced than just the basics, but I do not claim I will be a master.

With 40 years of professional experience, I'd say you can use the title "master." ;)

10 hours ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Stop bashing on my dreams :V

Well, they use SVGs or something for the time being, so... who knows?

Not what I meant, just that there isn't much point to reinvent the wheel.

And hey the first 3D games were done using vector graphics so SVG is enough.

8 minutes ago, Groogy said:

Not what I meant, just that there isn't much point to reinvent the wheel.

And hey the first 3D games were done using vector graphics so SVG is enough.

Not really the same thing though

If what they have is a way for you to bring in a static SVG file, how do you animate that? Just because they both use parametric curves doesn't mean they're interchangeable =O

If, on the other hand, they have some functions that allow you to draw vectors with Lua directly... That would be something you could use to actually animate things.

[EDIT: Btw I'm aware of being able to have SVGs animate in a sense, but not in an interactive way -- getting that to be interactive enough to constitute a game would be quite hacky]

According to the SVG format spec you can store animations inside the file. Haven't worked much with SVG's but I bet it's in a similar vein as with most 3d mesh formats? Not exactly skeleton rigging but probably more like simple mesh transformation over time.

Yeah, but making a 3D game with that? You'd have to bake the projection matrix from world coords to screen space into the SVG animation.... but then how do you choose an arbitrary rotation around an object that you're trying to animate or something? Do you make an SVG file for every possible camera path? That's an uncountably (well, technically countable since we're dealing with computers that don't have *actual* real numbers) infinite set of SVG files

Well for one we have access to Lua which can do math, and a transformation matrix or projection matrix is just a simple construct of numbers lumped together. Lua would be perfectly okay with handling that, Lua is actually quite good in performance on math for being an interpreted language. An animation is the same no matter from what angle, you just apply the transformation onto the vertices of the SVG and it would work, it all depends on the level of access to the data the Lua API gives.

Exactly my point, dude...

If all you have is drawSvg("test.svg") or whatever, you can't realistically do a 3D game with that.

If, on the other hand, you can for example drawLine(Point start, Point end), you can make your own spline implementation, sample the spline to a polyline, do the math, and draw whatever you like. Of course if you're drawing a 3D cube you wouldn't bother with vector graphics, you'd just do the view transforms and culling etc. to the cube and draw the visible line segments in screen coordinates.

I'm not arguing that it could never be done under any circumstances, I'm merely pointing out that your initial statement of "And hey the first 3D games were done using vector graphics so SVG is enough" is false. You can't realistically make 3D games if all you have is the ability to draw contents of an SVG file on screen.

Perhaps that's not what you meant, but that was my interpretation of what you said, and it's what prompted the response. =P

No I am saying if you have access to the raw data of an SVG file and you can provide that to a render function that is all you need. Having a "render(filename)" would be inherently inefficient and in praxis only allow you to render one thing at a time which means at most what you can do is render a logo. Most likely I would assume a bare minimum of being able to load a file yourself and tell something to render it at a specific location. If you have a data structure referencing SVG data, all we need to do is nag on the developers to give us access to the underlying data of that to be able to do pretty much anything we want. That would be way easier to persuade the devs (and safer for client host) to provide than raw OpenGL access.

Of course custom draw operations would be nice as well but I am just assuming "least amount of effort" from devs since I am just looking at the pre-alpha :P 

edit: actually thinking of it, we could reproduce 3D by implementing a software renderer by just using a single 1x1 square svg file provided we can ourselves define where it should be placed. As a sort of worst case scenario if we barely get anything. It would suck but at least something?